Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times

Advertisements

I have an amendment to his plan: Any unemployed person under 70 gets a government job, even if we have to fire an existing government employee to create the opening. This includes members of Congress! And a note to those who refer to him as "Boner," you may be overestimating his virility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:26 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Is retiree's income taxed in the US?
Don't have Medicare or whatever it is called for the elderly?
I wonder what the percentage of grandparents is who send their grandchildren to college and have them living with them.

Yes, retiree income is taxed at both the state level and Federal level. If you own a home or other real property you pay property taxes and those can be expensive in many areas where local government and schools have to depend on it. You pay a premium for Medicare Part B ($96.00) a month and Medicare only covers 80% of hospital aand other medical charges. Lets say you have a minor (non-surgical) medical problem that puts in the hospital for a week.
You usually find your self looking at a bill for several thousand dollars. To protect against this problem you can get Medigap insurance which for me is $375 a month.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:26 AM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
=
It is no secret that I turn 40 this year.

Funny, I would have surmised from your earlier post that you were older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I retired at 50, and of course I don't draw SS (I'm 53 now), and I don't ever expect to get a penny from SS. I did my own retirement planning based on savings. Others are free to save... or not... it is their choice.
Or, to drive the nail home, he is paying $4,590 a year and is getting a future value of only $212,938.88. If he simply took that money and buried it in the dirt, he would have, after 48 years, $220,320! The bottom line is that, for today's 21-year-old, Social Security is a negative return.

Actually, this employee is paying 7.65% and his employer is paying 7.65%. So, the employee's outlay is reduced 50% to $2,295, unless he is self-employed, of course.
Interesting thread. I've enjoyed all the comments. Much food for thought here.

On the matter of $3,000 month retirement income, sorry that surely wouldn't cut it for me. $4,000 - $5,000 month necessary, unfortunately. Single parent, having worked 52 years, earning an average income, nothing near 6 figures, shifting money from a HELOC in order to max out 401K and IRAs because for me the annual tax savings from deductible interest and sheltering salary from taxes was significant. Also worked past retirement age and collected and saved Social Security to further shore up these retirement funds. In addition, I still need to maintain my house. Yes, it would be better now to sell the property, but real estate market is not exactly booming. So, instead I need to plan to maintain the place to the tune of $5,000 to $10,000 per year until I can sell it.

Planned to work until I was 70 or older, but employer did a mass layoff last year and I was included. Older workers close to retirement were particularly looked at. This idea of raising retirement age to 70 is totally unrealistic, because even if people are capable of doing their jobs, the employers very likely won't keep them on. End result, "early" retirement at a reduced benefit. I am one of those under 100K a year people whose Social Security benefit is 50% of my income. That plus a small employer pension, rental income and withdrawal from retirement funds almost get me to where I need to be.

By my calculation, present value of all past contributions from me and my employer is about $355,000, which over a period of 25 years - assuming I live that long and an interest rate of 3.5% - provides exactly I am receiving today. For me this is peace of mind. Given how little discretionary income I had, I could not have saved enough, over and above my IRAs and 401K, to grow to even 50% of that $355,000, or an additional $177,500.

If I die soon, I will not reap the entire reward, but, for now, I do have peace of mind up to a point. I don't recommend anyone retire with a mortgage and home maintenance and huge property taxes, but I had no choice. I will probably return to work, if I can. Taking a civil service test on Monday. We'll see if the govt practices what they preach.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-15-2010 at 02:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies