Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM

23,868 posts, read 24,096,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Let's see/ when I figured my monthly costs,I do a budget and include my health care costs,which he obviously didn't do.
Obviously?

Again, I have to ask - DID YOU READ THE ARTICLE???

It's pretty clear that either you didn't, or you couldn't comprehend the nature of his situation, despite the simplicity of it.

Until you demonstrate that you have at least SOME basic knowledge of WHY he's not paying for insurance, I'm not going to bother replying to any more of your posts. It's a complete waste of time, and that's a pretty precious commodity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Why should I have to have my low pay cut as it. Is? It has fallen by 2 dollars per hour feom last year,and fyi we do take salary cuts. Why should I have to subsidize his stupidity by haviing my salary cut? You all depend on doctors and nurses to save lives yet you want to cut our salaries. When people get low pay they often are not motivated,and you know the result? More deaths due to shortages of both. And the ridiculous thing is you want to insourse foriegn trained doctors and nurses who may not know what they are doing and who won't know how to operate the advanced equipment we have. The reason we have the most expensive health care system is because of the advanced technology and the people who work in healthcare. I bet the guy in the article who doesn't have insurance would want his life saved and the best possible care if and when he would need to go to the hospital,even though he won't be paying.
I didn't say specifically that nurses salaries should be cut..........I was saying ALL compensation in ALL facets of the health care industry should be reviewed. I think most of the compensation cuts would end up being in the administative, middle man and supplier areas.

I also said it would be a good idea to have clinics manned by Indians........not hopsitals. 24 hour clinics to be exact.

Many of the working poor or uninsured use emergency rooms for non-emergency illnesses because they don't have access to a personal physician. If people could go to a low-cost clinic for flu symptoms, bronchitis, stitches, simple bone breaks etc., it would save hospitals money.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Of course it is not entirely free. Stop twisting words just to avoid being wrong...

I never said it was free in the sense you are talking about, and yes there is tons of money wasted on it, however to the people walking through the ER doors with no health insurance, it's free ! SO I say again, if illegal immigrants get "free" healthcare by simply going to the local ER, then why not waste it on a legal citizen as well?
I used your own words (if you note, I simply used the "quote" feature to provide the perspective). Don't think that classifies as twisting, and neither does adding an emphasis to the core point you made.

And yes, it is free at the time, but it is free to anybody and everybody (not just illegals as you alluded to originally, and I quoted you on that). The user of the system now has the responsibility to pay for the services for which the provider would send a bill. The problem starts now... what if they don't pay, or have the means to pay? Just forget and move on? Is that the idea you support?

At that point, however, it stops being free. Others pay for it. Why should a responsible person, who maintains health insurance, be punished with added premiums to cover the non-payments? Does that make sense to you?

And if you consider yourself a fiscal conservative, how come the waste associated with it is not a concern of yours?

Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Instead of seeking to fix & correct the issues that make health care so expensive (tort reform & being able to purchase insurance across state lines would be a fantastic move to decreasing costs), Obamacare throws it's hands up and basically says, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em and seeks to control the health care system in it's entirety.
How would being able to buy insurance across state lines fix anything? Are there certain states in the US that have really cheap health insurance? Wouldn't all the the insurance companies just end up charging about the same price?

Kinda like cable/dish/direct tv...........with all of their seperate packages and deals.........you end up paying just about the same price for tv/phone/internet.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,366,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The Republicans forced the Dems to drop the public option..........which would have forced the "for profit" incurance companies to become more competetive with their own rates.
How can the minority party force the majority to do anything?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:13 PM

19,017 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Arguing over the color of the parachute won't help when the ground is approaching at terminal velocity.

The underlying problem with American health care is the government, first and foremost.

There is no "right" to health care when it is a crime to buy or sell health care without government permission (license).
There is no way possible for costs to go down when the government imposes ever higher costs (taxes, overhead, red tape, bureaucracy, administrative overhead, etc) which the patient inevitably pays.
The insurance system imposes even MORE paperwork, red tape, etc, etc, whose costs are born by the patient.

Finally, before an American can buy costly health care, he must first buy permission slips from a government licensed individual. And he can only buy that medical "stuff" from another government licensed individual, who buys his supplies from another government licensed source.

Does anyone really believe that government will reduce the cost, increase the availability, and improve the quality of care?

Let's not forget the malpractice tort system and the INSANELY high premiums that are inevitably paid for by - you guessed it - the PATIENT!
{Where else do the professionals get the money to pay those costs if not from the patient?}

Old 08-11-2010, 05:22 PM

17,374 posts, read 14,618,966 times
Quote:
How would being able to buy insurance across state lines fix anything? Are there certain states in the US that have really cheap health insurance? Wouldn't all the the insurance companies just end up charging about the same price?

Kinda like cable/dish/direct tv...........with all of their seperate packages and deals.........you end up paying just about the same price for tv/phone/internet.
Certain states have different requirements for their health insurance plans that can drive up insurance costs - like they must include provisions for autism or fertility treatments, etc. By allowing you to shop across state lines, you'd be able to purchase insurance from a state that doesn't require these expensive add-ons, thus lowering the policy price.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:26 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,000 times
Quote:
I also said it would be a good idea to have clinics manned by Indians........not hopsitals. 24 hour clinics to be exact.

Many of the working poor or uninsured use emergency rooms for non-emergency illnesses because they don't have access to a personal physician. If people could go to a low-cost clinic for flu symptoms, bronchitis, stitches, simple bone breaks etc., it would save hospitals money.
Clinics are an EXCELLENT idea, with no drawbacks. We had clinics in Florida, and it was much cheaper and more efficient.

But here in NH, turns out there are absolutely no clinics in existence. You go to the emergency room, or make an appointment (if you can) according to your doctor's very limited hours. Maximum expense, for no valid reason.

With all the massive new taxes and huge new role for government in Obamacare, I find it amazing that NONE of the great ideas--like Clinics--made it into the final legislation. Similarly, government could have opened some medical schools and educated a new generation of doctors that could take care of those who can't afford our current health care system.

But no, those reforms wouldn't make government bigger or more expensive, or pad the pockets of the fat-cats who own our elected officials. So no dice. Could it be more obvious that government exists only to serve itself and the ultra-rich, and couldn't care less about the citizens they are killing with their taxing and overspending?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:42 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Scrap the anti-trust exemption. By crossing state lines one can shop for insurance throughout the US not just one particular State's insurance monopoly. One can understand why utilities can be monopolies in an area because of hardware etc. but why and who has allowed these immoral insurance companies to get away with this all these years. Mind boggling................but not really. Just create all these high risk pools all over the country instead of vast areas and set the appropriate kind of robery to that particular slice. Add it all up and eureka!

As far as what nurses should be paid? $3 fiddy.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:42 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Exactly, it is free to the patient using the ER(because they are not paying the bill), you just said the very same thing I said!
Quote:
I didn't say specifically that nurses salaries should be cut..........I was saying ALL compensation in ALL facets of the health care industry should be reviewed. I think most of the compensation cuts would end up being in the administative, middle man and supplier areas.

That's a silly idea. Why would you import Indians over here with the high unemployment numbers. Plenty of Americans could do the job.( plis,we are trained better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies