Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum – Official Website

Here is the web site of the memorial. If I am not mistaken when I toured the place I think there already is a church across the street from it. The church was there before the bombing. It's an old church.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
NewSpin360.com | Virtual Tour

If you look at this 300 degree view you can plainly see a church with a cross right across the street. They don't need to build it since it was already there. Actually I see 2 churches. They helped with the rescue and recovery after the disaster.
Uhhhh, the OP wasn't concerned about there being a real church there now....he was trying to make a point about the mosque in New York...

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 08-17-2010 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum – Official Website

This picture will show the survivor tree. Remarkable this tree survived the blast and grew back big and strong. Many people take seeds from this tree to plant in their yards.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Uhhhh, the OP wasn't concerned about there being a rael church there now....he was trying to make a point about the mosque in New York...
His whole point is sad.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:18 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The point is that McVeigh did not do what he did in the name of God. The 9/11 terrorists did. They expected to get 72 virgins in paradise after they blew themselves up.
That's not paradise, that's a nightmare... a recurring nightmare. I'd trade all 72 in for one good sl-t.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Gee i don't know- Nichols and McVeigh were conservative Christians
and they went and bombed hundreds of Americans including children to death. Doesn't it soil the memory of the Americans who died to have Christians stick our nose in it by having a church in the same area? What about the loved ones who lost family and who now would have to look at that Cross each time they go by?

You say that Nicols and McVeigh weren't good Christians? Well did you ever think that the Musim terrorists who blew up the World Trade Center weren't considered good muslims and that religion denounced them?

Did the Christian churches ever denounce Nicols and McVeigh ( nah they just hoped people would forget it about and continue to look at arabs).
Not even close to the same for God Sake, comments like this are really off base in my opinion.

NIta

Old 08-17-2010, 08:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Wow maybe i should have checked my thread ...

I love that people are saying MCVeigh and Nichols were not Christians even though one of them made a big deal of "being born again". The other had attended Catholic Church.

Has it not occurred to you that the rank and file Muslims also denounced Bin Laden for violating their principles????

Another poster said "but Nichols and McVeigh did not shout "God is great " when they did it.. Well gee if you were there and close enough to listen to what they were saying - why didn't you try to stop them?
A better question would have been to ask why when the FBI agents undercover with the radical Islamic group that put this together with McVeigh and Nichols as the trigger men uncovered the plot, why didn't they stop it?

Why did the FBI make certain their offices in the Murrah Federal Building were empty that morning yet allow "business as usual" for the unsuspecting innocent people and children in the day care?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A better question would have been to ask why when the FBI agents undercover with the radical Islamic group that put this together with McVeigh and Nichols as the trigger men uncovered the plot, why didn't they stop it?

Why did the FBI make certain their offices in the Murrah Federal Building were empty that morning yet allow "business as usual" for the unsuspecting innocent people and children in the day care?

Oh Boy, Crazed Right Wing Conspiracy theories to defend crazed right wing terrorists...

Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,524,410 times
Funny to see the vain attempts to find tiny differences between the two events and make a big deal out of them. Normandy was so upset he claimed I didn't make posts that were right in front of him.

Point is there are jerks and killers of every religion and nationality.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:18 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Your post is nonsense since:

a. The "Christians" you are referring to aren't asking to build a church near the the site they bombed

b. At 9/11's ground zero, there was a Catholic church that collapsed when the twin towers crashed to the ground , but NY denied permission to rebuilt the church, while allowing for the construction of a mosque

c. The bombing of the Federal building was a terrorist act agains the Federal Government, while the 9/11 attack was a symbolic act of terrorism against the US in general (government and civilians) and what the towers represented to the world
It's amazing to me how the Internet changes stories, just like in the kid's game of telephone. It's also amazing how so many people don't question what doesn't seem to make sense and go looking for factual information to verify it and see if it is really true.

It's also amazing to me that for the past nine years, most people did not seem to even know that St. Nicholas Church was destroyed on 9/11.

1. It is a Greek Orthodox Church, not a Catholic Church. It was one block south of the WTC complex, on Cedar Street, and it was obliterated by the fall of the south tower. See link.

St. Nicholas Church » Home

2. "NYC denied permission to build the church" is, well, just a lie. The church will be rebuilt on the property where the originally church stood. That lot, however, is needed right now for the construction operations at the WTC site; specifically, it's the area where the underground vehicular security center is being built. There is a long history of what went on with this church--at one point JP Morgan was going to build and occupy Tower 5, on the site of the damaged Deutschbank building (outside the WTC complex on Liberty St), which has its own sordid history with the finding of many body parts, asbestos removal, a terrible fire that killed two firefighters caused by neglect of the construction workers and an inoperational fire hydrant, and the subsequent delays in demolition of the building (it's almost down now). JP Morgan was going to let St. Nicholas have their church on the lower floors of its building. JP Morgan backed out of the deal a few years ago. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is NOT the city, but owns the WTC site and is rebuilding, offered St. Nicholas some land on which to build a bigger church, but they could not come to terms and then the economy took a nosedive, so now St. Nicholas will be rebuilt on its original property when it is available. They will have a much larger and nicer church than their original, which was converted from an old tavern almost a century ago.

Obviously, between Tower One and the Memorial, St. Nicholas' rebuilding hasn't been a high priority, especially since it will be impossible to build it for a few years. However, their representatives are very smart to take advantage of this focus on the downtown area to get stalled talks going again. It's not too early to do the planning that has to be done before construction--financing, permits, design, etc.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:21 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,073 times
Oklahoma, the buckle of the Bible Belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies