Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
This is very true...which is why I don't understand why many are quick to claim something as not being racist. If you (in the general sense, not *you*) weren't there to witness the person's actions, how can so many automatically shout: "That's not racist. You're just playing the race/victim card"?

If I say I'm the victim of racism and you live 3000 miles away from me....who are you (in the general sense, not *you*) to tell me my claim/feelings are invalid and/or race-baiting?
Would you agree that the same approach should be taken as not to assume that something is an act of racism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Every company I have ever worked for, big or small, had plenty of black guys with black-sounding names working there as well. Besides having such names, they all had one other thing in common- they were qualified.

So let's see, we now have:
  • Stares
  • Black as a color meaning evil
  • Black sounding names
Real earth shattering stuff.
There you go again. Another white person whose life and experiece is presented as the be all and end all. In order to use that line of reasoning, you have to refute that there is a sampling error and you have to establish that your life and experience is a microcosm for the whole of America. The failure to establish those prerequisites means your argument and experience in no way can be used to refute an argument of the whole.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
The NOI fella who converts him in prison pulls out a dictionary and shows him the definitions of black and white. Your statement was a very good summary of that particular dialogue.

And no, it was not an answer to anything. I was pointing out that you are using movie dialogue to make your points, whatever they are.

btw- great movie.
Sorry, wasn't using movie dialogue. ...........and I'm assuming that your diversion tactics means you won't address the original intent of my post............right?

Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Now who is deflecting......
LOL....Are you kidding me? Are you incapable of answering a direct question? Seriously? Really? Wow....................

Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Sigh.......I give up........
Yeah , I thought you would........funny how that works, when someone doesn't take the bait and dance your dance. I believe we can conclude this thread isn't about understanding, but rather the op using it as an opportunity to espouse all that he has learned in his african american studies class. If one truly wants to understand they will come into the discussion with an open mind and heart and be willing to look at themselves first. Clearly not the case here.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Would you agree that the same approach should be taken as not to assume that something is an act of racism?
I believe that if someone makes a claim of racism/discrimination, etc, the claim should be investigated with impartiality. The claim doesn't have to be automatically believed, but neither should it be met with automatic suspicion, disbelief, etc. In the case of a perceived wrongdoing, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution. There are many cases of women claiming rape that aren't in fact true...does that mean that all claims should be automatically met with suspicion? No.......investigate the claim before calling the woman a liar. Same with blacks alleging racism....investigate the claim before pulling out the old trusty "he/she's playing the race/victim" card.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yeah , I thought you would........funny how that works, when someone doesn't take the bait and dance your dance. I believe we can conclude this thread isn't about understanding, but rather the op using it as an opportunity to espouse all that he has learned in his african american studies class. If one truly wants to understand they will come into the discussion with an open mind and heart and be willing to look at themselves first. Clearly not the case here.
Dance my dance? Ehh......Seems like you need a partner for the shuffle...and I'm not interested.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
This is all very interesting.........how do you feel about that color blind society that Dr King spoke about? What I am seeing and hearing from you is a whole lot of one sided finger pointing and blame aimed at white folk. Do you think at some point you need to look at your own self and perhaps ask what am I and other blacks doing if anything to perpetuate this ongoing racial divide? You see I believe that there are a whole lot of white folk out there that have been accused of being racists and bigot when in reality they don't have a problem with skin color what they have a problem with is the attitude such as yours , which is the burden is on them to prove they are not racist, and the way they do that is to jump through the hoops you say they need to jump through.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Sorry, wasn't using movie dialogue. ...........and I'm assuming that your diversion tactics means you won't address the original intent of my post............right?
No, you can assume that I am having a bit of a laugh at your expense.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
No, you can assume that I am having a bit of a laugh at your expense.
Please know that it is reciprocated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies