Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What does the 14th amendment have to do with the Constitution's "natural born citizen" requirement for Presidential eligibility?
Ah, go back and read the post directly before yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Hawaii HAS Obama's original birth record.
Yes they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
It can be accessed, as has already been done by Hawaiian officials.
Yes it can. But not by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
Obama's hearsay is unacceptable, given his proven propensity to lie when it suits his purpose.
If you have evidence that he has lied about his place of birth, then present it.

Otherwise, the Federal Rules of Evidence declare his letter to not be hearsay at all.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,274,533 times
Ben Franklin? I bet you Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson on “Natural Born” | Obama Conspiracy Theories

Old 08-30-2010, 04:18 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Seems to me that insults of that nature are hurled at Democrats every single day. During the election, I vividly recall being told here at C-D that being a Democrat was synonymous with being mentally ill. I'm sure given a few minutes I could track down the post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I concur! Gosh, a quick perusal through the P&OC forum would see all sorts of epithets hurled at Democrats: "Libitards", immoral, amoral, sucking off the government teat, etc. I bet you could find at least a dozen on the first page of P&OC alone.
Oh, I guess that makes it OK.

Sorry, I didn't know. Carry on.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
The use and definition of natural born citizen as used in the Constitution can easily be traced to Vattel's Law of Nations.
Actually... no. There is no possibility whatsoever of tracing the phrase "natural born citizen" to Vattel at all.The “de Vattel definition†of “natural-born citizen “did not exist at the time the Constitution was framed.

1. De Vattel wrote in French, not English. As such there is no evidence that the phrase “natural-born citizen†ever was a product of either his lips or pen. What he actually wrote was, “Les Naturels ou indigènes font ceux qui font nés dans le pays de Parens Citoyens.â€

2. The first English translation was published in 1759, in London. It translates “Les Naturels ou indigènes…†to read “The natives or indigenes…†The phrase “natural-born citizens†is nowhere to be found. And the currently intuitive “naturels†is translated to “natives,†while “indigenes†is left completely untranslated.

3. There were 3 different English editions of the work published prior to 1787 and therefore available to the Framers of the Constitution. They were London:1759, London:1760, and New York:1787. All of them translated “Les Naturels ou indigènes…†to read “The natives or indigenes…â€

4. Additional English editions were printed in Dublin:1792, London:1793, and New York:1796. All of them translated “Les Naturels ou indigènes…†to read “The natives or indigenes…â€

5. The first appearance of the phrase “natural-born citizens†appears in the London:1797 edition, and it is a translation of the French word “indigènes,†not the French “naturels.†This was ten years after the Constitution was written, and 30 years after de Vattel’s death.

6. At the time of the framing of the Constitution, the “de Vattel†definition did not exist.

7. There was a single definition of “natural-born citizen/subject†that existed in 1787 and was available to the Framers, and it was that of English Common Law. That definition was exclusively tied to place of birth, the citizenship status of parents was irrelevant.

Your argument here, to be true, would require the Framers to be capable of time travel. While they were undoubtedly gifted men, being able to rend the time-space continuum was probably among the things they were good at.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Care to point out any other definition and use of the concept of 'natural born citizen' within that same timeframe?
I can do better than that. I can point out to the only definition that existed in the English language at all. It can be found in Blackstone's Commentaries.

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 4 (Citizenship): William Blackstone, Commentaries 1:354, 357--58, 361--62

Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

No, it certainly doesn't make it okay, and I promise you that I have never used derogatory terms to describe people who hold different opinions than I do about political issues. I'll admit to getting a bit ramped up over issues, but I do not engage in ad hominem attacks. I hold myself to a very high standard in that regard, and I wish others would do the same.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
What does the 14th amendment have to do with the Constitution's "natural born citizen" requirement for Presidential eligibility?
If you read my link, instead of mocking it, you'd see.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Quote:
No, it certainly doesn't make it okay, and I promise you that I have never used derogatory terms to describe people who hold different opinions than I do about political issues. I'll admit to getting a bit ramped up over issues, but I do not engage in ad hominem attacks. I hold myself to a very high standard in that regard, and I wish others would do the same.
Agreed all around. I do not call peopole or groups names, either. I was a) explaining where the term "dumbasses" regarding the birthers came from, and b) agreeing that there is plenty of name calling by the right wing as well. It is extremely disingenous to have this faux outrage about something that is so upbiquitous. In fact, I asked the mods once about the name calling and was told if it's not directed at an individual, it's OK. So Ken Buck's comment is OK.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:00 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Can you elaborate, please? I know the handbook quite well, and I don't see any evidence that President Obama is behaving in an unChristian way.
Then, if you know it quite well you should know that he was wrong in saying.........
YouTube - Why Obama Is Not A Christian: Reason #1

This pastor is saying he is not, he can always prove otherwise, have you ever known America to not be a Christian Nation. AMERICA welcomes ALL FAITHS and ALL RACES, but we ARE A CHRISTIAN NATION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies