Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 08:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Glad he is on YOUR side....

Lovely little Statist.
wth is THAT supposed to mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:27 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Given the level of gun crime in your country, if an Imam attempted to publicly burn a Bible in America, it highly probable that there would be a violent outcome.
That is your opinion,nothing more.
The US flag has been burned before.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
wth is THAT supposed to mean?
He is on your side of the debate,you are stuck with his statist beliefs...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Not wrong actually.

Rights enshrined by the Nuremburg Laws, gave legal justification for acts which in any normal society would be considered wrong.

Citing laws does not condone the act permitted.
If it did, every Nazi would and should have walked away scot free.
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Please point out here where it says its ok for Nazis to kill people?
The Nuremburg laws have diddley-squat to do with anything we have been talking about here.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
He is on your side of the debate,you are stuck with his statist beliefs...
Ugh, I dont think so.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,633,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You are blowing your creditability you might have had comparing these 2 events. There is a huge difference between burning a book and murdering millions of people.

We recognize his right to burn any book he purchases. We may not agree to his actions but it is part if the freedoms that we have that you will never understand.

Next he might want to write a book or do an editorial cartoon that might offend you. I support that right also.
You miss the point.

I wasn't for a moment attmepting to suggest that burning a book and the murder of a person was comparable.
In qualitative terms there is no comparison.

In legal terms, under respective laws, the "right" to commit an act (book burning and, separately commit murder) was protected under respective laws.
Exercising that "right" is protected in both cases.
And claiming that "respecting that right to act" is acquiescing to the action.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,269 times
Quote:
Who does condone his actions,we support his right to do it.I personally don't CARE whether Muslims are offended or upset.

I think you are wrong,we have had people burn the US flag before...
Your reading comprehension is willfully lacking.

I said, if we were at war with Canada and then they burned the flag it would incite violence. I did not say if someone burned the flag in general that it would insight violence.

Again, I'm trying to say why he shouldn't do it, not saying that he can't. If he wants to it is his right. However, the people on my side of the argument believe it is not a good idea and not something to be defended.

Just because someone can do something, doesn't mean that I (and others) think that it is a good idea to do it.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Your reading comprehension is willfully lacking.

I said, if we were at war with Canada and then they burned the flag it would incite violence. I did not say if someone burned the flag in general that it would insight violence.
And I disagree....as has been shown when the flag is burned in the past.

Quote:
Again, I'm trying to say why he shouldn't do it, not saying that he can't. If he wants to it is his right. However, the people on my side of the argument believe it is not a good idea and not something to be defended.

Just because someone can do something, doesn't mean that I (and others) think that it is a good idea to do it.
The underlined is where your position falls apart.

I do not want that Mosque built in NYC,I would prefer it wasn't,but I defend their right to do so.

Same with this guy.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,269 times
Quote:
And I disagree....as has been shown when the flag is burned in the past.

The underlined is where your position falls apart.

I do not want that Mosque built in NYC,I would prefer it wasn't,but I defend their right to do so.

Same with this guy.
Give me an example of when someone burned US flags in a country we were at war with and it didn't escalate violence in the foreign country.

I think there is a difference between not defending an action and saying that they don't have the right to do it.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
You miss the point.

I wasn't for a moment attempting to suggest that burning a book and the murder of a person was comparable.
In qualitative terms there is no comparison.

In legal terms, under respective laws, the "right" to commit an act (book burning and, separately commit murder) was protected under respective laws.
Exercising that "right" is protected in both cases.
And claiming that "respecting that right to act" is acquiescing to the action.
You make no sense in your argument. We have a lot of rights that you might not agree with. I have the right to shave my face which you might find the act offensive. My wife has the right to wear clothes that you may find offensive. I have the right to drink alcohol that you might disagree with.

Almost every American will not agree to burn any book, but we will fight for the right to do so. If it is private property it's within my rights to use it or destroy it no matter how I see fit.

Your argument is lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies