Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,633,285 times

Advertisements

What would be the reaction if an Imam decided to burn a Bible publicly?

I see a lot of you yanks whingeing about a Mosque being built near the old
Twin Tower site.

How would you feel if there was a public burning of the Bible, to counteract the pastors decision to burn the Koran?

Would you support the Imam's "right to burn the Bible", as some plebs here have contended in respect of the burning of the Qu'ran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I'd love it if we don't have to tiptoe around things, but we are at war with extremists, not everyday Muslims, and by burning their holly book it helps the terrorist's cause. The whole point of being over there is to try and stop terrorism. If we leave it goes to hell.
I understand that. But the extremists already hate us, right? Presumably the reasonable Muslims don't want to kill soldiers because a single person in Florida wants to burn their holy book. If they do want to kill soldiers then they are per se unreasonable. Can we agree on that?

So that leaves us trying not to offend the very people who are already hell-bent on killing us. Does that make any sense?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
As I've said before, I'm a diehard liberal, but I get Oz's and Betamanlet's points. This may be the first time I've ever agreed with them on anything.

First, I support the dingbat pastor's right to burn the Qu'ran. I don't think it's a good idea because it's a hick, redneck thing to do.

Nevertheless, while I understand everyone's fear that it will provoke the radical Muslims to attack our troops, we need to take a hard look at where that fear puts us. Why should we in America feel like we have to tiptoe around ANYONE'S religion? We are a country based on freedoms. The right to say what we want, when we want, even if it's offensive. If we want to win the hearts and minds of the fence-sitters in the Middle East, at the very least we need to be honest about who we are and what we believe in. What's the point of winning them over if we have to pretend to be a country that kowtows to religious extremists? That is NOT who we are.

Petraeus ought to point proudly to the pastor and say, "Sorry if this offends you, but that's how we do things in America. If you attack us over it, we'll go home and you have this sorry-ass country all to yourselves. We've already spent too much time and too many lives trying to bring you into the 21st century. But we'll still kill that f***er Osama Bin Laden if we ever figure out where he is."

As for those of you who are arguing that it's holy to them, that's fine. But we're talking about people who murder over cartoons. If that's what their holy books preach, screw 'em.
You posted basically the way I think about this...

Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post

Twin Tower site.

How would you feel if there was a public burning of the Bible, to counteract the pastors decision to burn the Koran?

Would you support the Imam's "right to burn the Bible", as some plebs here have contended in respect of the burning of the Qu'ran?
I would absolutely defend the right of an Imam or anyone else to burn a Bible. Not condone the action, but defend the right to do so. Why not? If they're trying to make a point, it's protected speech.

But even if the action made me sick to my stomach I wouldn't kill anyone over it. That thought would never cross my mind.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudger View Post
I think this is a great opportunity for muslims to demonstrate the tolerance they think we need to have. This would be a perfect chance to lead by example.
Yes it is.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,269 times
Quote:
I understand that. But the extremists already hate us, right? Presumably the reasonable Muslims don't want to kill soldiers because a single person in Florida wants to burn their holy book. If they do want to kill soldiers then they are per se unreasonable. Can we agree on that?

So that leaves us trying not to offend the very people who are already hell-bent on killing us. Does that make any sense?
I think there are people on the fence that would be pushed to the extreme side because of that.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
To your first point we are talking about extremists, not Muslims in general. When will you learn this?

On your second point, we want to try and convince those on the fence.

To your third point, something all over the media is worse than just saying Muslims suck or something like that.
If we're going to try and convince them to be like us, then let's be who we are. Freedom loving Americans who protect everyone's right to free speech, even when we find it objectionable.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
The same people opposed to the Koran being burned would support the Bible being burned.

Quote:
Twin Tower site.

I would think what a mild reaction,normally they murder innocent people.

Quote:
Of course,wouldn't you?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I think there are people on the fence that would be pushed to the extreme side because of that.
Well they can choose to be our enemies too.

What's the point of winning them over if we lose who we are in the process?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Good luck with getting this through some people's heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies