Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Perhaps for the same reasons cartoons are published,novels are written,and films produced??

Instead of blaming the author,cartoonist,producer,I choose to place blame with the perpetrators.

Who will you blame if/when there is violence because of this?
Don't you see anything even mildly hypocritical about a so-called man of the cloth acting is such an un-Christ like way? His actions---because he is a Christian preacher---should be held to a higher standard than those of a random author, cartoonist or producer. No on here is debating his legal right to burn the Qu'ran, we're debating his moral and ethical responsibility NOT to do it. Nothing good can come from the act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
The question to ask about this

Whats the best possible outcome, and whats the worst possible outcome.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I haven't heard of the majority of Muslims killing people. I'm not sure where you are getting this "more people than normal" garbage.
Muslims are going to kill n matter what right,so this is supposedly going to cause them to kil more than normal.

Quote:
It's unfortunate that their holy book is being burned, but it's importance is because we are at war with them. Thus the violent reaction that they would exhibit if this guy burns Qur'ans.
They already hate us I thought,how can you make it any worse?

Quote:
I think we are all in agreement about the free speech thing, so I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up. This isn't a debate about if he has the right to do it. It's a debate about if it's a good idea.
As you just wrote,we are at war with Muslims,so isn't ANYTHING that might offend them bad then???

Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM

59 posts, read 51,565 times
I think this is a great opportunity for muslims to demonstrate the tolerance they think we need to have. This would be a perfect chance to lead by example.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,036 times
Quote:
What is the logic in drawing a cartoon that annoys Muslims?
How about Muslims get over themselves...just a thought.
I now realize you were on my ignore list because you remind me of a broken record, I'll
remedy that again now....

Old 09-08-2010, 07:26 PM

57,255 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:
He is a politician.
He is the most respected general in the last 20 years under both republican and democratic administrations. He has devoted to bringing peace in the middle east, your opinion has no credibility or substance to back it up but thanks for your one liners. Your hatred for muslims come through rather clear, don't even try to let the actual facts get in the way of your opinon.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:

How about Muslims get over themselves...just a thought.
Yeah, like thats gonna happen.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
As I've said before, I'm a diehard liberal, but I get Oz's and Betamanlet's points. This may be the first time I've ever agreed with them on anything.

First, I support the dingbat pastor's right to burn the Qu'ran. I don't think it's a good idea because it's a hick, redneck thing to do.

Nevertheless, while I understand everyone's fear that it will provoke the radical Muslims to attack our troops, we need to take a hard look at where that fear puts us. Why should we in America feel like we have to tiptoe around ANYONE'S religion? We are a country based on freedoms. The right to say what we want, when we want, even if it's offensive. If we want to win the hearts and minds of the fence-sitters in the Middle East, at the very least we need to be honest about who we are and what we believe in. What's the point of winning them over if we have to pretend to be a country that kowtows to religious extremists? That is NOT who we are.

Petraeus ought to point proudly to the pastor and say, "Sorry if this offends you, but that's how we do things in America. If you attack us over it, we'll go home and you have this sorry-ass country all to yourselves. We've already spent too much time and too many lives trying to bring you into the 21st century. But we'll still kill that f***er Osama Bin Laden if we ever figure out where he is."

As for those of you who are arguing that it's holy to them, that's fine. But we're talking about people who murder over cartoons. If that's what their holy books preach, screw 'em.
I'd love it if we don't have to tiptoe around things, but we are at war with extremists, not everyday Muslims, and by burning their holly book it helps the terrorist's cause. The whole point of being over there is to try and stop terrorism. If we leave it goes to hell.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,631 times
Quote:
Muslims are going to kill n matter what right,so this is supposedly going to cause them to kil more than normal.

They already hate us I thought,how can you make it any worse?

As you just wrote,we are at war with Muslims,so isn't ANYTHING that might offend them bad then???
To your first point we are talking about extremists, not Muslims in general. When will you learn this?

On your second point, we want to try and convince those on the fence.

To your third point, something all over the media is worse than just saying Muslims suck or something like that.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:35 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
"Book burning is antithetical to American ideals," Palin wrote on her Facebook page Wednesday.
"I would hope that Pastor Terry Jones and his supporters will consider the ramifications of their planned book-burning event," she continued. "It will feed the fire of caustic rhetoric and appear as nothing more than mean-spirited religious intolerance. Don’t feed that fire."

Read more: Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck speak out against Pastor Terry Jones' plans to burn the Koran on 9/11

I never thought I say this, but I agree with Sarah Palin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies