Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,632,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Here are the differences: (1) The pastor is a private person, not a government or a political party and he's burning his own property. In Germany the Nazi's were burning books that belonged to other people--the Jews.
The law protecting the right of the pastor, is tantamount to the law which protected the rights of the Nazi's.

The pastors rights and the Nazi rights are protected under their respective laws.
It doesn't make their respective actions right.
It makes their respective actions lawful which is a wholly different issue.

The Nazi's exercised their rights to burn "unGermanic" books.

The pastor makes similar claims when threatening to burn the Qu'ran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

What he's doing is engaging in free speech which is protected by our constitution. It's like burning the flag, burning a draft card, burning a bra. Offensive to many, but protected, nevertheless.
What he is doing is that he's attempting to justify his actions.

At the Nuremburg trials in 1945/6, the Nazi's cited the Nuremburg laws of 1935 to vindicate their actions.
They claimed that their statutes protected them against prosecution because legally they had the right to terrorise and murder the Jews.
Their "rights" were protected, according to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
There would be war if an Imam attempted to publicly burn a Bible in America.
And you know this from where?

All evidence suggests that there would be a more violent reaction if something like this happened with the Koran in the Middle East.

I really don't like what this pastor is doing, and I don't think that America is a perfect example of tolerance, but I think it's undeniable that basic citizens' rights and freedoms are less respected in Middle Eastern societies than they are here.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
I am glad at least one leftist has come out openly wanting to restrict free speech...thanks.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Not supporting freedom of speech is,you want him to not do this correct?

Because if such a trivial matter turns them into terrorists they weren't on the fence....
I support the right to free speech, but I don't condone his actions or think of them as trivial.

If we were at war with Canada and then they burned the US flag, I'm sure that would incite violence here.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
The law protecting the right of the pastor, is tantamount to the law which protected the rights of the Nazi's.
No, you are wrong.
Go read the Constitution, 1st Amendment.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And you know this from where?

All evidence suggests that there would be a more violent reaction if something like this happened with the Koran in the Middle East.

I really don't like what this pastor is doing, and I don't think that America is a perfect example of tolerance, but I think it's undeniable that basic citizens' rights and freedoms are less respected in Middle Eastern societies than they are here.
Given the level of gun crime in your country, if an Imam attempted to publicly burn a Bible in America, it highly probable that there would be a violent outcome.

Trying to compare the rights afforded in different jurisdictions is pointless for a number of reasons.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I support the right to free speech, but I don't condone his actions or think of them as trivial.
Who does condone his actions,we support his right to do it.I personally don't CARE whether Muslims are offended or upset.

Quote:
If we were at war with Canada and then they burned the US flag, I'm sure that would incite violence here.
I think you are wrong,we have had people burn the US flag before...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No, you are wrong.
Glad he is on YOUR side....

Lovely little Statist.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:

The pastors rights and the Nazi rights are protected under their respective laws.
You are blowing your creditability you might have had comparing these 2 events. There is a huge difference between burning a book and murdering millions of people.

We recognize his right to burn any book he purchases. We may not agree to his actions but it is part if the freedoms that we have that you will never understand.

Next he might want to write a book or do an editorial cartoon that might offend you. I support that right also.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No, you are wrong.
Not wrong actually.

Rights enshrined by the Nuremburg Laws, gave legal justification for acts which in any normal society would be considered wrong.

Citing laws does not condone the act permitted.
If it did, every Nazi would and should have walked away scot free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies