Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,991,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Now, that's what I'd like to see - A hotdog eating contest between Obama and all the living previous presidents.

Or, at least - Obama vs Clinton vs Dubya.

Who ever eats the most in an eight hour period wins a Nobel Prize.

Contest of the Century!
Yea, They kind of ruined the image by deleting the pics. They must have been sticking up for Obama. Maybe, Michelle saw it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,752,928 times
Since we're all going broke and becoming unemployed we'll all be eating out less and less so just by doing nothing except letting the economy crumble..we'll be healthier for it because none of us will be able to go to a restaurant to eat that "bad salt".

Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,991,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I believe Michelle Obama's focus is on health, is it not?
Isn't salt a big problem for many people? It increases blood pressure and heart problems?

Sodium: How to tame your salt habit now - MayoClinic.com

Thrifty Living - Salt: Too Much of a Good Thing
How much sodium is too much?

Health experts recommend 1,100 - 3,300 mg of sodium per day for healthy adults. Most people eat 2,300 to 6,900 mg per day. This is too much sodium. Some people are salt/sodium sensitive. African Americans, Hispanics, and obese individuals are especially sensitive to salt.

We're eating too much salt - for health's sake it's got to stop - Editorials - The Olympian - Olympia, Washington (http://www.theolympian.com/2010/08/12/1333615/were-eating-too-much-salt-for.html - broken link)

I wonder if some of you stopped reading because Laura Bush supported libraries and reading programs.
It goes back to personal choice, she doesn't need to decide if we eat salt, sugar or fatty foods. If you eat it and it kills you, you made your own choice.

Laura Bush wasn't trying to make a LAW out of it.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,469,738 times
Why does everyone keep going on and on and on about Michelle supposedly wanting to regulate salt?

Did ANYONE read her speech?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Beuler?

Anyone?

I've posted a link to it two times in this thread already, so there's really no excuse.

Here is EVERY SINGLE REFERENCE TO SALT in the ENTIRE speech:
"After all, we as humans, we are programmed to crave sugary, fatty, salty foods. And as people who work to meet those needs, I know it’s tempting to respond by creating products that are sweeter, richer and saltier than ever before."

. . .

"That’s why I want to challenge every restaurant to offer healthy menu options and then provide them up front so that parents don’t have to hunt around and read the small print to find an appropriately sized portion that doesn’t contain levels -- high levels of fat, salt and sugar."

. . .

"As part of “Let’s Move,†we’re setting a goal of doubling the number of schools that participate in the Healthier US Schools Challenge by next year. And we’re working with schools and food suppliers to offer more fruits and vegetables and to cut down on that fat, sugar and salt."
That's IT.

She mentioned salt only 4 times, and every time in conjunction with fat and sugar. How on earth did salt become the focus of this supposed "nanny state restriction"????

Could it be we have a bunch of lazy people who can't be arsed to read a link for yourselves, but rely on bloggers to read and misinterpret it for you? And then you turn into the Energizer Bunny of Lie Spreading and keep going and going and going and going with the absurd misrepresentation!

It's really quite stunning. Talk about sheep!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,873,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
If the government can't afford people eating salt it should get out of the health care business.

BTW, why is it only liberals support her waging a war on salt?
That's right. If they can't afford to pay for the stupid choices people make, then the government needs to get out of the healthcare business. I have enjoyed an order of salty fries once in a while. My blood pressure is nearly perfect 110 over 72. Although, I have figured out that it is not a good idea to eat at McDonalds everyday. Plus, I workout 5-6 days a week.

People can figure things out without the government. WOW! IMAGINE THAT ONE.

Although, I think Michelle Obama should be educating families and children about healthy choices, kinda like what Jamie Oliver is doing right now. Jamie Oliver isn't forcing families to change, he is educating them. This would be more effective because I can't tell you how many kids I have seen eating chips and soda in their packed lunches. Then, you have parents who allow their kids to sitt on their butts playing video games all day long. Then, you have parents who cook all meals from their home deep fryer.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post

Although, I think Michelle Obama should be educating families and children about healthy choices, kinda like what Jamie Oliver is doing right now. Jamie Oliver isn't forcing families to change, he is educating them. This would be more effective because I can't tell you how many kids I have seen eating chips and soda in their packed lunches. Then, you have parents who allow their kids to sitt on their butts playing video games all day long. Then, you have parents who cook all meals from their home deep fryer.
Did

You

READ

Her

Speech???
"And that’s why, earlier this year, we launched “Let’s Move!†This is a nationwide campaign with a simple but ambitious goal: We want to solve the problem of childhood obesity in a generation, so that kids born today can reach adulthood at a healthy weight. And “Let’s Move!†is about attacking this problem from all different angles. It’s about giving parents the information and the resources they need to make healthy decisions for their families."
Do you know the first thing about the "Let's Move!" program? I'm going to guess not. Here, educate yourself. Let's Move

Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,808,948 times
Gee, that's funny! My first impression of this thread actually led me to believe that it was salt that was the issue. I believed that by the time it became my turn to type,
that, some of the rest of you might've seen (or passed on), the salt and moved on to the real issues. Michelle's husband Barak made a campaign promise. Among all of the things
that he promised to affect was the marijuana issue, perhaps to loosen the choke-hold on our progressive society and give us a bit of leeway or slack, a measure of relief in areas
or issues that seem to some of us, to be more pressing, if not ominous. Well, like all political candidates, Barry's promises were just another gambit meant to garner the vote of
some 40 million, American pot smokers, to win their confidence and thus win his own position as prez.

Let me assure those of you who have not seen through this ploy, Chelle's new war on salt, is simply another diversionary tactic of our current administration that is made
to deflect our attention from real, grass-roots issues like the economy, to doing those things that they supposed that we'd do, bickering over the salt content, in the food on our
empty tables. The sooner that you arrive at the stark reality that as long as they can continue to present a barrage of subterfuge, a smoke-and-mirror show, the more that they
can (and will), continue to keep our eyes and minds off of the issues that matter. When the day comes that we Americans are leading Michelle to the political guillotine, she wants
to go down in the history books as saying,: "Let them eat salt-free cake".

Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,989,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I believe Michelle Obama's focus is on health, is it not?
Isn't salt a big problem for many people? It increases blood pressure and heart problems?

Sodium: How to tame your salt habit now - MayoClinic.com

Thrifty Living - Salt: Too Much of a Good Thing
How much sodium is too much?

Health experts recommend 1,100 - 3,300 mg of sodium per day for healthy adults. Most people eat 2,300 to 6,900 mg per day. This is too much sodium. Some people are salt/sodium sensitive. African Americans, Hispanics, and obese individuals are especially sensitive to salt.

We're eating too much salt - for health's sake it's got to stop - Editorials - The Olympian - Olympia, Washington (http://www.theolympian.com/2010/08/12/1333615/were-eating-too-much-salt-for.html - broken link)

I wonder if some of you stopped reading because Laura Bush supported libraries and reading programs.
Water can kill you if you drink too much, shall we ban that as well? Also salt is not bad for the body, it is required to live. Interestingly, one of the reasons why people die from over drinking water is due to a low content of salt in the body caused by the excessive hydration. Salt has many uses, more than those claiming it banned realize how useful and required it is for our society today.

The problem here isn't that some foods have a lot of salt. The problem is those who over eat those foods. If people want to be responsible for their health, they will pay attention to it. If they do not, well... it is their choice, not mine, not yours, and certainly not a controlling government body.

It really is simple. Think individual responsibility and everything takes care of itself. You can not baby sit people, you can not take away all of their rights and dictate what you think is best in the name of saving them. If you are going to do that, stop being so dang devious about it and just tell everyone that they are your property and you will dictate to them as you see fit. It is the same thing.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM

No one is taking away your rights.

No one is dictating what you eat.

Read the damn speech!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,361,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Nobody wants to ration your salt.
Some people don't let facts get in the way... facts are not sensational enough.
Haven't we seen several other threads start with misrepresentations (at best) and people continue the misrepresentations (at best) simply based on their hatred f the Obama's?
Deja vu all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It goes back to personal choice, she doesn't need to decide if we eat salt, sugar or fatty foods. If you eat it and it kills you, you made your own choice.

Laura Bush wasn't trying to make a LAW out of it.
Please tell me where she's forcing you to eat less salt.
Is it now criminal? It is potentially dangerous for hidden chemicals to be present in our foods.
Or do you prefer being potentially poisoned? Your choice, you know.

Where is your intake being affected by a law?

Jill makes a good point, where in her speech was this written? Where were your fears addressed?
No where, I believe.

Do you see your comments as being dishonest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies