Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,310,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
and she assumes we the people are too stupid to buy a book on nutrition and make our own decisions.
Well, considering how out of shape we are in general, how we eat on average and the diseases our families seem to suffer from in a common way, does it look like we are making the right decision? I'm just saying, people here are acting like we're not an overweight nation with crazy levels of hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. This isn't Iceland, lol, this is the US, we eat like two McDonalds cheeseburgers a day, three cokes, some chips, salty TV dinners, some sugary flavored water. Come on ya'll. I grew up in the US school system, I remember we could just go into the cafeteria and get what we wanted: students would have a big plate full of three slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza with a juice. That was it, that was common unless you brought your lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
She needs to start (and stay) in her own home with this garbage.

I will eat what I want to eat. And if I am fat, then that is MY choice. This is America, not a dictatorship. Well, not yet anyway.

Meanwhile, I can't count on one hand, all the pics in the last year, of her own husband, stuffing his face with grease-dripping burgers, ice cream, fat-laden hot dogs....etc.
Like I said in another post above, the President more than likely doesn't eat like that all of the time. Even the most healthiest people like to dig into some greasy foods while traveling. Do we really believe that those pictures represent what the President eats on a normal basis? Those pictures were used in the news link like that on purpose. I'm sure we can find the same amount of pictures, if not more, of him eating nutritious and fresh foods.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,534,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Well, considering how out of shape we are in general, how we eat on average and the diseases our families seem to suffer from in a common way, does it look like we are making the right decision? I'm just saying, people here are acting like we're not an overweight nation with crazy levels of hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. This isn't Iceland, lol, this is the US, we eat like two McDonalds cheeseburgers a day, three cokes, some chips, salty TV dinners, some sugary flavored water. Come on ya'll. I grew up in the US school system, I remember we could just go into the cafeteria and get what we wanted: students would have a big plate full of three slices of cheese and pepperoni pizza with a juice. That was it, that was common unless you brought your lunch.
So you are saying because many people make poor choices that we need the government to legislate it?

People will only change their diet and improve their health if they are motivated and usually internally motivated. For whatever reason be it health, vanity, or wanting to see their grandchildren.

People will find a way to get their sugar and fat even if the gov't tries to control it. Just like Obama sneaks his cigarette smokes in even though Michelle and his daughters try and stop him.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,199,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Shelle has obviously been indulging in fast food lately herself. I know her platform is waging war on obesity but does this include a personal war or has she given up?
The war is lost !

Old 09-15-2010, 01:45 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It goes back to personal choice, she doesn't need to decide if we eat salt, sugar or fatty foods.
Apparently you didn't reach the speech either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Incorrect, the speech she gave may not make such demands, but there are groups currently lobbying such extensive regulations.
Yes. Corporate groups. Lobbying. Not the First Lady. Not demanding or regulating. Suggesting.

Quote:
Just like her husband, Michelle is focusing on mundane topics and doing nothing to address the economy, jobs and our failing schools.
LMAO. I do wonder what all the knee-jerk ultra conservatives would have to say if Mrs. Obama did indeed address the economy, jobs, or our failing schools. I shudder to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I think it'd be nice for restaurants and food places to have an in-store nutrition guide for people who'd like to eat out... but not find out later that their meal had 4000 calories and 6-days worth of salt in it. I don't agree with outright banning of unhealthy foods, just disclosure for those who want to see the nutrition guides. Being told to "go to the website" or "eat a salad" - it doesn't fix the problem of disclosure at purchase. If I buy pre-made food at the grocery store, the nutrition guide is right there. Why can't restaurants do this?
Bingo. And isn't that exactly what Mrs. Obama is advocating?

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone here but I find her trying to meddle in private business upsetting.
Since when is making suggestions the same as meddling?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,056,205 times
Quote:
So you are saying because many people make poor choices that we need the government to legislate it?

People will only change their diet and improve their health if they are motivated and usually internally motivated. For whatever reason be it health, vanity, or wanting to see their grandchildren.

People will find a way to get their sugar and fat even if the gov't tries to control it. Just like Obama sneaks his cigarette smokes in even though Michelle and his daughters try and stop him.
much like a PSA public service announcement "someone" has to bring to the public's attention that eating too much, salt, sugar, fat or whatever is not the best thing to do. are you against labels of ingredients? don't want the fat content or calorie info on a package? it isn't about control it is about information and helping people to have all the facts at hand so they truly only have themselves to blame for continuing something that may harm them

obama "sneaks" cigs because he is addicted to them like millions of other people.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
She is a liberal. the only reason she needs to keeping you and I from eating what we want is that she has decided it isnt good for us.
Since when was Michelle Obama the first one that decided that excessive amounts of salt wasn't good for our body?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM

38,034 posts, read 22,209,288 times
Quote:
Maybe we should give Shelle a break. I mean every first lady has to have a platform and maybe she was fumbling around and having a hard time coming up with one becoming of her. Maybe she stumbled upon this one and now she is having a hard time with it. A hard time controllilng her own weight. Must be a bit embarrassing. No more late night trips to the Mickey D's Window. lol!
I might give her a break, but her liberal counterparts are turning these types of suggestions of hers into law.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM

38,034 posts, read 22,209,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Since when was Michelle Obama the first one that decided that excessive amounts of salt wasn't good for our body?
She is speaking to restaurants, they do not add "excessive amounts of salt," because then many of their customers would not eat their excessively salty food.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,952,816 times
Quote:
She is speaking to restaurants, they do not add "excessive amounts of salt," because then many of their customers would not eat their excessively salty food.
Well then, I guess if they do not add excessive amounts of salt, what she said doesn't apply to them so why are we even having this discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies