Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I was born in '87
I was close though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I was close though!
As my parents say, "Close but no cigar."

Old 09-22-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Oh My God!

That was AFTER MTV!
I was born after and before many things, just like you. Not really that incredible.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Stop calling me a kid who doesn't know anything....I'm a grown man and a tax-paying citizen of this country....seriously
You were born in the 80s, which means you missed out on some great music, some great movies and some horrible fashion. That's about it.

Love & Happiness, Al

Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Abbie Hoffman sez:

Ifya don't know what Jarts are, then I don't trust ya.
we had fun throwing those things around when i was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
In small pockets.
Havent noticed many poorer folks with solar arrays or windmills.
Until its affordable for everyone, its not gonna happen.
what the utilities are doing is setting up solar farms, like wind farms only with mirrors, to generate solar power on a large scale. there are a few experimental farms here in arizona as well as in nevada, and there is one planned for california. as i said, it is already happening, but it takes time to build the infrastructure.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

Holy cow, those things were scary in the wrong hands!!!!

what the utilities are doing is setting up solar farms, like wind farms only with mirrors, to generate solar power on a large scale. there are a few experimental farms here in arizona as well as in nevada, and there is one planned for california. as i said, it is already happening, but it takes time to build the infrastructure.
Well aware of all that, my original point was that a national grid such as that wont happen in our lifetimes.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
You were born in the 80s, which means you missed out on some great music Nope I can't stand modern music, my favorite music is that which comes from the late 60s, 70s, and early to mid 80's., some great movies There are some great movies today, just like there were some great movies back then. Luckily we can still watch movies from all the way back to when movies first came along. and some horrible fashion thank god. lol. That's about it.

Love & Happiness, Al
The past is never truly left in the past. It can be carried over.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
The past is never truly left in the past. It can be carried over.
Yeah but it's the digitally remastered past. Watching a video of Woodstock isn't the same as being there when it happened

I would have paid good money to see Aerosmith live back when Steven Tyler was still hot.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:48 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

Quote:
Optimistically treating European Commission partially funded data1, we find that for every renewable energy job that the State manages to finance, Spain’s experience cited by President Obama as a model reveals with high confidence, by two different methods, that the U.S. should expect a loss of at least 2.2 jobs on average, or about 9 jobs lost for every 4 created, to which we have to add those jobs that non-subsidized investments with the same resources would have created.

The study calculates that since 2000 Spain spent €571,138 to create each “green job”, including subsidies of more than €1 million per wind industry job.

The study calculates that the programs creating those jobs also resulted in the destruction of nearly 110,500 jobs elsewhere in the economy, or 2.2 jobs destroyed for every “green job” created.
http://www.juandemariana.org/pdf/090...-renewable.pdf

Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah but it's the digitally remastered past. Watching a video of Woodstock isn't the same as being there when it happened

I would have paid good money to see Aerosmith live back when Steven Tyler was still hot.
Oh I bet. What I wouldn't have given to have been alive and have gone to woodstock. If I got to see 1 band from the past when they were in their prime, I would choose Def Leppard. I was thinking of saying the Beatles but the sound may have been a bit too grainy back then. Their music is great (obviously) but I like clean sounding music so remastered is the way for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies