Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,483,645 times

Advertisements

They had a fight the previous day so they were just having a bong and beer summit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:59 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,483,645 times
They're turning wrenches in a unionized environment at a failing company in a failing state in a sputtering nation, I'm surprised they weren't also popping Alprazolam, doubling up on Zoloft and Paxil and beer bonging straight Everclear.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:00 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,547,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I still think it was all faked by FOX for thier own benefit. Even if it did happend how many of you perfect employees have ever had a beer, whisky or a joint on your lunch break?
I can honestly say I never had a beer, whisky, or joint on my lunch break. I don't smoke and I even when I did drink, I never drank on the job. I always waited till I clocked out for the day.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,320,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I've seen no one post that but YOU. What is being argued is that you have taken this story of half a dozen workers and stretched to mean ALL auto workers are CONSTANTLY stoned on the job. As someone whose late husband worked in an auto plant for 30 years I can tell you that, while it did happen, it is NOT as wide spread as you seem to think. And when it did happen, the company (in this case Ford) was very quick about correcting it. In that environment a drunk/stoned employee is not only a danger to himself, he's a danger to everyone in the plant.
You got that right. Some of the people in this thread are acting like they had a keg in the middle of the plant and all 3,000 employees where taking part in a free-for-all. The GM plants up here in Michigan are the same way as the Ford plant your husband worked in. No one wants to work with someone whose been drinking and the company is quick to deal with people who get caught.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbombed View Post
The cars coming from that production factory are going to be certified lemons.
???
You know this exactly how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
They've been suspended by chrysler-with full pay and benefits, most likely.
It's amazing to me that even the most ardent UAW sycophants would defend this, but I'm obviously expecting too much.
You're making stuff up, at least this scenario is not in evidence, and you're demonizing people for something that you made up.
What sense does this make?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,230,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
As is always the case Faux news put a spin on the report to demonize the union when in truth it's a few guys having a beer before work. The union represents the workers in the work place but outside on their own time they, like all citizens, can do whatever they choose to.

Why spread garbage like this since it attacks the rights of fellow citizens free choice (in this case to have a beer off company property) ?????
So unions support their workers going to work drunk. Says alot about the support of the unions

Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,595,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
???
You're making stuff up, at least this scenario is not in evidence, and you're demonizing people for something that you made up.
What sense does this make?
good lord. didn't you even read the thread?

greg insists it's all a hideous plot by fox news. and tightwad has been yowling that this is a 'prudish, judgemental response' against 'fellow citizens' whose 'rights are being attacked.'

Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,755,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So unions support their workers going to work drunk. Says alot about the support of the unions
Well, actually, the union is required by contract to represent all workers. BUT, even the union will argue for the safety regulations being enforced. (Especially since it was the union that fought for and got a lot of those safety regulations put in place) And, in a case like this, they likely would agree with at the least a temporary suspension, with termination to follow if the workers don't improve their behavior.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
They had a fight the previous day so they were just having a bong and beer summit...
I'm certain this is exactly how Obama would have handled it.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,095,579 times
Unfortunately, this kinda stuff happens.

I worked in the automotive industry for 20 years, and I'm sad to say that about 5% of the workers I've been in contact with were stoned or drunk.

That's a HUGE guess, BTW. It may have been different in other plants.

This is just from what I've experienced.

Take it or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies