Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concealed carry or open carry of a handgun..?
Concealed is better 53 63.86%
Open is better 23 27.71%
No carry at all of handguns by civilians... 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:28 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,102,329 times

Advertisements

I vote CC. It keeps the bad guys guessing, and on their toes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,176 times
I voted CC if I had to only choose one. Open carry just lets the bad guys know who to take out first.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:32 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,675,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I think all Americans should carry guns, just like the Hollywood version of the West. It would be great to see people, even young kids wearing holsters with loaded guns. This is what makes America the greatest country ever.
Well it would make for a very polite society after all the idiots shot each other, but somehow I don't think you really mean what you just said. I lived in New York City and the Bay Area for many many years in my younger days and never owned a gun after I left Vietnam. But when you get old and live in a wilderness area, guns have their purpose. A blanket condemnation of guns is not a well thought out position under all circumstances.JMHO

Last edited by mohawkx; 09-23-2010 at 01:40 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,310,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I think all Americans should carry guns, just like the Hollywood version of the West. It would be great to see people, even young kids wearing holsters with loaded guns. This is what makes America the greatest country ever.
Even though you are joking, I agree. I think everyone (except convited felons and illegal aliens) should be required to own a gun -- just like Obama wants to require everyone to own medical insurance. Everyone sould be required to take a course on gun safety. Everyone should be required to participate in shooting at a range or hunting event once every 90 days at a minimum.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Even though you are joking, I agree. I think everyone (except convited felons and illegal aliens) should be required to own a gun -- just like Obama wants to require everyone to own medical insurance. Everyone sould be required to take a course on gun safety. Everyone should be required to participate in shooting at a range or hunting event once every 90 days at a minimum.
My honest opinion is that requiring everyone to own a gun is just as bad as denying everyone the right to own one if they want to.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:49 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I prefer concealed and I am mostly armed when in town. However when I'm out in the local countryside, I carry openly. bigger gun, faster access, more comfort.

In town, even though it's still a small frontier town, I don't like the attention open carry brings me and I know that it makes some individuals feel uncomfortable, rightly or wrongly. I don't think it's my obligation to re-educate people on their beliefs and phobias. Besides if there was a desperate robber or killer who enters your space with evil intent the first thing he's gonna do is shoot the guy with the sidearm before proceeding with his intent. Best to keep the equalizer hidden until necessary.IMHO. I carry a weapon because statisticly, I'm the most likely to be a victim. I'm old, too old to fight and too proud to run and the young meth heads think old people have all the money and are easy targets.

I always carry openly in the countryside because I live in an area of vast stretches of open land, dotted with many canyons, deep washes and uninhabited mountains. I carry a 45 auto. I've had a momma bear back me down mingus mountain to protect her two cubs which I stumbled on. I've had a mountain lion stalk me from an overhead ledge for how long, I don't know. When I noticed it a warning shot was sufficient to send it running. I've encountered many rattlesnakes but never shot them, just walked around. If one bit me I would kill it for sure, as I would most likely die from the bite with my heart history. I shot a mule deer as a mercy killing that had been obviously hit by a vehicle as it was dragging it's hind legs and crawling along in severe pain. Left it for the coyotes. Anyone who doesn't carry a large caliber gun with them in the Arizona high desert when away from civilization is a fool in my opinion.

We have a lot of home break ins in Arizona. They target old people and kick in your front door and take everything you have. Rarely do they get caught by the police. Many get shot by armed homeowners. If you live through the experience you are lucky. I keep an SBS(short barrelled shotgun) automatic with 15 round mag handy for just such a party. I have a HKMP5 with a registered seer pac for back up and fun shooting.
I agree 100%. I usually carry my 44 Mag Blackhawk when walking outside my property in the country and carry a concealed compact 45 auto (licenced to do so) when the doing business within the city.
Casper

Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,471,046 times
I guess it should depend on where you are. Open to anger the liberals! LOL!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:10 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,373,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO openly carrying a handgun in an area where that is very unusual such as an Eastern city is a way of asking for a fight. In many Western cities it is not unusual to see a person with a gun in the open so is not considered a challenge. Open carry also leads to a quicker response to a threat because the carrier does not have to get the concealing cloths out of the way.
I agree that open carry can be seen as provocation to some, and prefer CC. Unfortunately in CA, a CC permit is nearly impossible to obtain in some counties. Open carry in CA requires the gun to be unloaded, although you can carry a loaded magazine (openly of course) and be loaded pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW
Practice is the principal advantage a law abiding civilian has over many criminals. Criminals with their illegal firearms cannot just go to a civilian range and learn how to use their guns. They tend to emulate the TV thugs and fantasy villains. Those guys never use a gun in a proper and effective manner because the script writers are on their side.
Very true, most gangbangers can't hit anything unless they're at point blank range, probably why they constantly hit innocent bystanders.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
I guess it should depend on where you are. Open to anger the liberals! LOL!
Unfortunately, there is a lot of that "in your face" going on and does nothing to further gun rights for responsible citizens.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:01 PM

30,087 posts, read 18,701,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
There are pros & cons for each way.
Let's hear your arguments.

Personally,I believe more in deterrence ( open carry )
than in possible surprise (concealed carry).

So,I voted for open carry.
Of course.both ways should be legal...

Open carry would be better. I think that anyone who attacks a person with a firearm in open view is insane. Most criminals would move along to easier prey. With concealed carry, a conflict is probably more likely to happen, as the person with concealed carry (I have one) is forced to pull the weapon. When you pull a weapon, you are usually compelled to use it. Open carry gives the criminal a chance to size up the situation and avoid the attack in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies