Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concealed carry or open carry of a handgun..?
Concealed is better 53 63.86%
Open is better 23 27.71%
No carry at all of handguns by civilians... 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,686,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Open carry would be better. I think that anyone who attacks a person with a firearm in open view is insane. Most criminals would move along to easier prey. With concealed carry, a conflict is probably more likely to happen, as the person with concealed carry (I have one) is forced to pull the weapon. When you pull a weapon, you are usually compelled to use it. Open carry gives the criminal a chance to size up the situation and avoid the attack in the first place.
That only applies to random robberies. Many crimes with guns are based on irrational motivations of unbalenced individuals. IE: Mall shootings, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 PM

296 posts, read 229,296 times
Nice comments,keep them coming...

BTW,in a sci fi scenario,if all adults,180m or so, carried a gun openly,USA would be a ...crime-free paradise...

The good would overwhelm the bad so...badly...

Old 09-23-2010, 05:17 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,628,849 times
I personally don't have a reason to carry, but our constitution guarantees the right to bear arms. Of course, if it's going to be concealed, I'm for at least having some sort of training to make sure you're able to responsibly do it. A gun that goes off while in a soccer mom's purse can still kill someone even if accidental.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM

449 posts, read 936,296 times
Open carry is foolish. If you are in a bad area such as Detroit where I live, advertising a $500+ pistol will guarantee someone robs you for it. All that gun is to them is a big fat wad of money. They know if they come up behind you and put a gun to your head you are hosed and then they will just take your gun and everything else you have and you will be lucky if they don't kill you just for walking around thinking you are hard with a visible pistol.

Open carry might work in safe neighborhoods but come into the ghetto and all it does is makes you a target. Nobody who knows the streets would want anyone to know about what they have until it's too late. OC, just makes you look like you don't know what you are doing and are an easy target with a big payoff. They get an expensive gun and bragging rights.

I have a CPL as does everyone I do business with and everyone who works in the ghetto would tell you the same thing. If you want a deterrent, buy some cop style cloths and some Bates boots and walk around in that. I've seen guys almost jump out of windows. What ever you do, unless you are in the woods don't OC. You are either asking for trouble or making yourself a target.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,377,422 times
I vote for the open carry, just put it out there, I really doubt the gangster will pull on the clerk with four or five people packin in plain sight.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,375,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Open carry is foolish. If you are in a bad area such as Detroit where I live, advertising a $500+ pistol will guarantee someone robs you for it. All that gun is to them is a big fat wad of money. They know if they come up behind you and put a gun to your head you are hosed and then they will just take your gun and everything else you have and you will be lucky if they don't kill you just for walking around thinking you are hard with a visible pistol.

Open carry might work in safe neighborhoods but come into the ghetto and all it does is makes you a target. Nobody who knows the streets would want anyone to know about what they have until it's too late. OC, just makes you look like you don't know what you are doing and are an easy target with a big payoff. They get an expensive gun and bragging rights.

I have a CPL as does everyone I do business with and everyone who works in the ghetto would tell you the same thing. If you want a deterrent, buy some cop style cloths and some Bates boots and walk around in that. I've seen guys almost jump out of windows. What ever you do, unless you are in the woods don't OC. You are either asking for trouble or making yourself a target.
I agree. Walking around off 14th ave in Oakland with a pistol in plain view is playing Russian roulette. You might be alright if you look like a cop, but probably not even then.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,817,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
I guess it should depend on where you are. Open to anger the liberals! LOL!

LOL...Open carry would scare all the SHEEP around here.

I voted for CC because I think open carry just promotes to many problems now a days. Besides when the BG's don't know who's carrying the eliment of surprise is that much greater!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:30 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,017,488 times
Concealed for me. Open carry attracts too much needless attention.

Should I be unfortunate enough to be in a business that gets robbed I'd rather the people doing the robbing not identify me as a primary target. Carrying concealed makes it much easier to blend in with the rest of the crowd.

Gun retention is another concern with open carry. Should you somehow wind up in an altercation an exposed pistol is an inviting handle for your opponent. There's a good chance most of your energy will be focused on retaining your weapon rather than ending the conflict.

I like the idea of open carry from a perspective of using your rights to avoid losing them but can't get excited about putting myself at an immediate tactical disadvantage by advertising that I'm armed.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,808,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
There are pros & cons for each way.
Let's hear your arguments.

Personally,I believe more in deterrence ( open carry )
than in possible surprise (concealed carry).

So,I voted for open carry.
Of course.both ways should be legal...
Whatever your own choice is.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,008,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
Nice comments,keep them coming...

BTW,in a sci fi scenario,if all adults,180m or so, carried a gun openly,USA would be a ...crime-free paradise...

The good would overwhelm the bad so...badly...
IMO, that is naive. There will always be predators among us who are not deterred but pathological in their quest to do evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies