Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concealed carry or open carry of a handgun..?
Concealed is better 53 63.86%
Open is better 23 27.71%
No carry at all of handguns by civilians... 7 8.43%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times

Advertisements

so suppose you are in McD's and someone comes in with bad intentions. now a customer has a gun, doesnt that make it prone to escalate into a gun battle? I'd rather they get what they came for and leave, then chase them. This thought f unknown persons carring guns doesn't make me feel secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 12:59 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Allow both. Having CCW means criminals don't know who is armed or not, and open carry means I could carry with shorts and a tee shirt without worrying.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:05 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
so suppose you are in McD's and someone comes in with bad intentions. now a customer has a gun, doesnt that make it prone to escalate into a gun battle? I'd rather they get what they came for and leave, then chase them. This thought f unknown persons carring guns doesn't make me feel secure.
Well, I guess it depends on the gun carrier. If that scenario unfolded, and I determined that the perp just wanted money, I'd stand aside and let him have it and then he should just leave. It's not my place to act as police or a McDonald's security. but if he came in and started popping people, then that's a whole different kettle of fish. When I took my classes for CCW, most the class was about when to shoot and when not to shoot. The legal ramifications of shooting were also covered extensively. McDonald's money is not worth the possibility of someone's life. Maybe if it was my money and the coast was clear, it might be a different story. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Funny though, people who are not well versed in guns generally relate the worst case "what if" scenario when projecting gun use.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
CC. Never let them see you coming. Who them? You decide.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Here we have both, some people prefer to open carry so they can. While others prefer to hide their firearms so they can.

It works for both.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
I think people should be allowed to carry any way they want. I have a permit to carry conceled, and I would not personally carry openly. At the same time a conceled weapon is not going to deter any crime, while an open one could. At the same time, open carry can attract people to rob you for your gun.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-24-2010 at 05:31 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Didn't know this about Pa---Open Carry Questions Answers - Pennsylvania Open Carry Gun Laws, Information, Fliers and Forum - paopencarry.org

Old 09-24-2010, 06:35 AM

296 posts, read 228,604 times
It goes without saying that both ways should be legal...

We have a nice dialogue here about the pros & cons of each way...

The videoclip about Kennedy,although interesting,because it is improved in quality,is irrelevant & bad taste...

Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenge2ful View Post
There are pros & cons for each way.
Let's hear your arguments.

Personally,I believe more in deterrence ( open carry )
than in possible surprise (concealed carry).

So,I voted for open carry.
Of course.both ways should be legal...

Although open carry would certainly deter a would be attacker it would likely attract the police. Even in places where open carry is legal there's always someone who's going to call the cops to report the person with a gun. Do you really feel like getting stopped by the cops several times a day?

Old 09-24-2010, 06:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I see no reason to regulate firearms at all except for the provision that people convicted of violent felonies may not possess or carry any guns.

If I know I am going into a dangerous situation I will be openly carrying a shot gun over my shoulder. I may also carry a pistol. How I am armed is my decision and mine alone.

Unfortunately we do not live in that world. In most cases carrying a concealed gun is preferable to scaring the rest while maintaining the ability to shoot back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies