Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:48 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If they wanted to be more factual, but probably even MORE controversial, would have been to say that blacks in africa took part in the slave trade. That would drive liberals insane, despite the undeniable truth of it.
Anybody that has studied slavery knows that slavery existed in Africa before the arrival of Europeans. However the type of slavery that existed was completely different than the chattel slavry praticed by the Europeans. Africans enslaved in Africa were not denied their language, history or cutlrural heritage.

The most popular argument that Conservatives use to justify their behavior is "They did it too". Nothing can change the fact that importing slaves from Africa and then denying them their language, history, culture and breaking up their families while forcing them to work for no pay was WRONG. Just because another group of people did had slaves doesn't make it any less WRONG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,224 times
Quote:
If they wanted to be more factual, but probably even MORE controversial, would have been to say that blacks in africa took part in the slave trade. That would drive liberals insane, despite the undeniable truth of it.

Shhh.... we do not need the libs crazier than they already are! Yikes!

My husband and I are both born and raised in the South. Both of our families actually settled parts of the South and are written in several history books - especially my husband's family. My daughter has the privelage of seeing some of her family names while in history class and even at local museums. I am PROUD to be from the South.

It is not all about racism here and I am so sick of idiots that do not live here saying that. Stereotyping and generalizing.

There were african american soldiers serving in the confederate army. Period. So now you libs want to hash out why that happened and make it all bad as usual. Where is your tolerance of others? Oh....I forgot....that is only for people who agree with you.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not all were slaves. Some were slave owners and their own children went to fight to keep the BAU.

Look up William Ellison. Largest slave owner in South Carolina.
He was black. His children fought for the south.
excuse me... largest black slave owner.

Could you give a link about his children fighting for the Confederacy? I don't see that here, just that one grandson did, for x-months in 1863. But their family contributed substantial food and money to the CSA.

Hm, interesting, in 1835 he bought the former governor's house. "He had gained the respect of his white neighbors, symbolized when" his family got a pew on the Church of the Holy Cross's main floor. (Source)

Old 10-29-2010, 12:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
An equally important question is how many of these soldiers joined the Confederate Army of their own free will and how many were conscripted as slaves by their masters. Also how many Black Confederate soldiers were actually armed and served in combat? The greatest fear that Southern slave owners had was REBELLION. So why would they arm Black Americans?

It's one thing to say there were Black Americans in the Confederate Army. It's quite another to say how many were armed and engaged in actual combat for the Confederates.

All true.....I really doubt that the Black Confederates had any loyalty to the Rebel cause, and I also doubt that they were armed with much else than shovels.

I was referring specifically to the implausible but technically possible notion that some of the slaves decided to stay with their masters (the "Birth of a Nation" Syndrome). I highly doubt that any more than a tiny percentage of feeble-minded people decided to consciously do this.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Did you say something?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:46 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,109 times
Quote:
Anybody that has studied slavery knows that slavery existed in Africa before the arrival of Europeans. However the type of slavery that existed was completely different than the chattel slavry praticed by the Europeans. Africans enslaved in Africa were not denied their language, history or cutlrural heritage.

The most popular argument that Conservatives use to justify their behavior is "They did it too". Nothing can change the fact that importing slaves from Africa and then denying them their language, history, culture and breaking up their families while forcing them to work for no pay was WRONG. Just because another group of people did had slaves doesn't make it any less WRONG.

So the africans who captured other africans and sold/traded them to slave traders had nothing to do with the denial of language, history or cultural heritage??

If you knew anything about history, you'd know that there were in the early americans not just slaves, but indentured servants, of all races.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
An equally important question is how many of these soldiers joined the Confederate Army of their own free will and how many were conscripted as slaves by their masters. Also how many Black Confederate soldiers were actually armed and served in combat? The greatest fear that Southern slave owners had was REBELLION. So why would they arm Black Americans?

It's one thing to say there were Black Americans in the Confederate Army. It's quite another to say how many were armed and engaged in actual combat for the Confederates.

What % of whites in the union army joined the Union army of their own free will?

You realize the largest civil disturbance in US history, with the most deaths, were the NYC draft riots?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
What % of whites in the union army joined the Union army of their own free will?

You realize the largest civil disturbance in US history, with the most deaths, were the NYC draft riots?

And who were most of the people killed?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
So the africans who captured other africans and sold/traded them to slave traders had nothing to do with the denial of language, history or cultural heritage??

If you knew anything about history, you'd know that there were in the early americans not just slaves, but indentured servants, of all races.

I don't believe those indentured servants had their names forcibly changed, were kept from speaking their language or not allowed to express their religion or culture.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And who were most of the people killed?
blacks. But but, I thought only southern rednecks hated blacks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies