Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:55 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,241,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't believe those indentured servants had their names forcibly changed, were kept from speaking their language or not allowed to express their religion or culture.

I said "all races" which includes blacks, were indentured servants.

Africans in America | Part 1 | Narrative | From Indentured Servitude to Racial Slavery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
blacks. But but, I thought only southern rednecks hated blacks?

You never heard that from me. In America there are only three geographic areas: Down South, Up South and Out South.

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
blacks. But but, I thought only southern rednecks hated blacks?
In both cases it's a poverty and ignorance issue, a crabs-in-a-barrel issue. Horrible.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:

I said "all races" which includes blacks, were indentured servants.

Africans in America | Part 1 | Narrative | From Indentured Servitude to Racial Slavery

I know what you said. Doesn't affect what I said one bit.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,241,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
In both cases it's a poverty and ignorance and fear issue, a crabs-in-a-barrel issue. Horrible.

In this situation it was a not wanted to be drafted to fight for a cause you didn't believe in, then not have the ability to pay the $300 to buy your way out of the draft, thing.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:05 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
An equally important question is how many of these soldiers joined the Confederate Army of their own free will and how many were conscripted as slaves by their masters. Also how many Black Confederate soldiers were actually armed and served in combat? The greatest fear that Southern slave owners had was REBELLION. So why would they arm Black Americans?

It's one thing to say there were Black Americans in the Confederate Army. It's quite another to say how many were armed and engaged in actual combat for the Confederates.
Most blacks fighting for the South were in the Trans-Mississippi theater. Look at the Battle of Honey Springs, where blacks fought on both sides. In fact it was one of the only battles where white soldiers were a minority on both sides. During the Texan incursions to secure New Mexico and Arizona, the Confederate army was comprised of numerous black and native American soldiers. Stand Waite also had several black soldiers under his command.

As I already stated there probably were not "thousands" of black Confederate soldiers, hell CS armies West of the Mississippi generally numbered under 1,000 anyway, but to claim there were none at all is ignorance to history.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:10 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Maybe they were forced to become soldiers. Slaves had families too, that might have been used as leverage Or they thought that by displaying loyalty they might finally get the respect and freedom they deserved.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
In this situation it was a not wanted to be drafted to fight for a cause you didn't believe in, then not have the ability to pay the $300 to buy your way out of the draft, thing.
Well, okay -- not enough ignorance, in that case

Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe they were forced to become soldiers. Slaves had families too, that might have been used as leverage Or they thought that by displaying loyalty they might finally get the respect and freedom they deserved.
The idocy of some peolpe on here continues to blow my mind.

There hear or read something that goes against what they BELIEVE could not possible be true. Rather than doing any research they come on here with all sorts of assinine comments that they can't back up.

Maybe this, that can't possibly be true, there is no way that could happen.

No research just knee jerk reaction.

I challenge anyone who has stated that blacks did NOT serve in the Confederate Army to back it up. Read the link and learn something for a change.

I know it is hard for some people to believe that in the South some blacks were actually land owners.

I'll even provide one source of factual information supporting that blacks did serve with the South.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]“Many people ask why free blacks would join the Confederate Army,” Ijames observed. “There could
[LEFT]be many reasons. Many free blacks were literate and property owners, so it could have been in their interest to[/LEFT]
be with the Confederates.”

from: http://www.ncdcr.gov/news/2003/opa_2-26-03.pdf (broken link)
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Did you say something?
He said nothing pertinent nor important to the topic!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies