Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:14 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The idocy of some peolpe on here continues to blow my mind.

There hear or read something that goes against what they BELIEVE could not possible be true. Rather than doing any research they come on here with all sorts of assinine comments that they can't back up.

Maybe this, that can't possibly be true, there is no way that could happen.

No research just knee jerk reaction.

I challenge anyone who has stated that blacks did NOT serve in the Confederate Army to back it up. Read the link and learn something for a change.

I know it is hard for some people to believe that in the South some blacks were actually land owners.

I'll even provide one source of factual information supporting that blacks did serve with the South.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]“Many people ask why free blacks would join the Confederate Army,” Ijames observed. “There could
be many reasons. Many free blacks were literate and property owners, so it could have been in their interest to
be with the Confederates.”

from: http://www.ncdcr.gov/news/2003/opa_2-26-03.pdf (broken link)
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Well, you speak of free blacks, I didn't...

Either way, glad the good guys from the North won
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:18 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Not only were blacks land owners. The VERY FIRST actual slave owner was black and it was he himself who brought his case to court to state that he OWNS his indentured servant and he should not be forced to free him.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Not only were blacks land owners. The VERY FIRST actual slave owner was black and it was he himself who brought his case to court to state that he OWNS his indentured servant and he should not be forced to free him.
Sad enough, he was probably an Ashanti

Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe they were forced to become soldiers. Slaves had families too, that might have been used as leverage Or they thought that by displaying loyalty they might finally get the respect and freedom they deserved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, you speak of free blacks, I didn't...

Either way, glad the good guys from the North won
Like I said maybe. Instead of posting a "maybe", why didn't you do some research to either confirm or deny your belief?

If you had read the link you would have found out that some blacks who were forced into the army decided to stay.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:34 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Most blacks fighting for the South were in the Trans-Mississippi theater. Look at the Battle of Honey Springs, where blacks fought on both sides. In fact it was one of the only battles where white soldiers were a minority on both sides. During the Texan incursions to secure New Mexico and Arizona, the Confederate army was comprised of numerous black and native American soldiers. Stand Waite also had several black soldiers under his command.

As I already stated there probably were not "thousands" of black Confederate soldiers, hell CS armies West of the Mississippi generally numbered under 1,000 anyway, but to claim there were none at all is ignorance to history.
What do you think of a grade-school textbook publishing that there were thousands?

Where are these hundreds of black soldiers buried? Are there gravestones in black cemeteries with "CSA" carved on? Where are their pension records?

Old 10-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Understanding Virginia's History Textbook Lie - National - The Atlantic

"If there is a silver lining here, it is that we are having this discussion at all. Not long ago, this sort of prevarication would hardly have raised an eyebrow in the Commonwealth. That today, it is front-page news and roundly condemned is a sign of significant progress. We are, I suspect, hearing more about the Lost Cause of late because its remaining adherents are now an embattled and fading minority, and the once sympathetic mainstream now finds their antics deeply embarrassing. And nowhere is that truer than in Virginia, as the Capitol of the Confederacy continues to urbanize, diversify, and develop. That, at least, is encouraging."

Old 10-29-2010, 04:43 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Near the origins of public untruths (ie. bull$hit) in this country from the South, thinking of ways to deny or justify slavery (see Social Darwinism).

Add 2 teaspoons of Christianity and 3 tablespoons of big-business greed and you have the modern Republican talking heads.

Interesting. Who have you been talking with that "deny or justify slavery?"

Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A textbook distributed to Virginia fourth-graders says that thousands of African Americans fought for the South during the Civil War -- a claim rejected by most historians but often made by groups seeking to play down slavery's role as a cause of the conflict.

washingtonpost.com
You'd think a little more attention would go into what our children are getting for an education. Stating that "two black battalions under the command of Stonewall Jackson," is a bit vague, since battalions have a bit more of a descriptor in their title then simply "black".

Old 10-29-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Interesting. Who have you been talking with that "deny or justify slavery?"
The Sons of Confederate Veterans deny AND justify slavery.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:51 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The Sons of Confederate Veterans deny AND justify slavery.
Really? Are you so informed because you know a member and have been to their functions and/or meetings? I think not. I call BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies