Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Surely Obama has been one of the most centrist Democrats in a long while. Democrats and Independents alike point to instance after instance where Obama has capitulated to Republican interests and, as a result has eroded his Democratic base. At least concede that filibuster threats and outright filibusters have been a constant feature of Congressional life since 2008 and that under Obama the Republican agenda rolls on barely impeded for not having a Republican president to take the credit. Say it. I'm watching this thread and I want to see acknowledgment of Obama's good faith to the Republican cause or I will post again. Or you can abandon the thread now and skulk off to some new one to keep up the bad blood. Ingrates!

H
0bama met with republicans in January 2009, and then he did not have face-to-face meetings with the republican leadership for eight months in-a-row. 0bama refused to meet with republicans, and only held closed door meetings with democrats. Then, when he finally did meet with republicans in October of 2009.. Well, read post #1 where I spelled it all out for you.

Now go skulk off into the corner, because the person sowing bad in blood in Washington was president 0bama, and he started it in January 2009, when he flipped off republicans with his quip of "I won".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:50 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,536 times
Quote:
Surely Obama has been one of the most centrist Democrats in a long while. Democrats and Independents alike point to instance after instance where Obama has capitulated to Republican interests and, as a result has eroded his Democratic base. At least concede that filibuster threats and outright filibusters have been a constant feature of Congressional life since 2008 and that under Obama the Republican agenda rolls on barely impeded for not having a Republican president to take the credit. Say it. I'm watching this thread and I want to see acknowledgment of Obama's good faith to the Republican cause or I will post again. Or you can abandon the thread now and skulk off to some new one to keep up the bad blood. Ingrates!

H
I am sorry and truly don't want to be rude....but are you on crack???? Where have you been living the past few years? You are going to be watching for a looooong time as the words good faith and Obama do not belong in the same sentence. I sure hope you wake up and come to your senses dorothy, because you are not in Kansas anymore.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:20 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
"Ingrates" who recognized and disdained a Teleprompter-in-Chief as he antagonized a Nation that includes typical white persons, who bitterly cling to guns or religion, where the police acted stupidly, and who are critical of Presidents who bow to Saudi Kings, and balk at the foisting of 2,074 pages of unread social engineering, after promises to go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely, and become irked with the repeated reward of cabinet positions to those with Tax evasion issues, and file suit on beleaguered States for defending their border while defending Muslim "rights" to build near fresh wounds, and......ad nauseum

Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
Quote:

H

"Ingrates" who recognized and disdained a Teleprompter-in-Chief as he antagonized a Nation that includes typical white persons, who bitterly cling to guns or religion, where the police acted stupidly, and who are critical of Presidents who bow to Saudi Kings, and balk at the foisting of 2,074 pages of unread social engineering, after promises to go line by line to make sure that we are not spending money unwisely, and become irked with the repeated reward of cabinet positions to those with Tax evasion issues, and who file suit on beleaguered States for defending their border while defending Muslim "rights" to build near fresh wounds, and......ad nauseum

Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:

H
Sorry, you'll have a long wait. There has been absolutely no good faith from Obama in dealing even handedly with Republicans and Independents who vote against his policies, none.

Just cannot get through a single post without name calling can you?!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:38 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
1:38-1:58

Devastating.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
This is done all the time in politics. It is an assertion of power and an expression of strength. Does anyone remember President Bush's "I have a mandate" answer to a reporter's question when he only garnered 51% of the electorate's support? He had to say it to get any kind of respect from his opponents. And President Obama had to say what he said.

It's a peeing contest, that's all. You all are getting you're britches bunched up over nothing.
What he said. I would also wonder about context. Even so, if I pulled off something as major as becoming the first openly African American man to win POTUS, the end zone breakdance that I would perform would be "R" rated. Word. Truly though, there is a major disconnect operating in America. A LOT of Democrats don't think Obama is doing much to further Democratic aims and a LOT of Republicans don't think Obama is doing much to further Republican aims. Those are mutually exclusive opinions.... ... In this thread, however, the majority opinion is that Obama has not been bi-partisan enough. I could argue that you all need to get past the hurt and sting of Obama's defeat of Republican challengers and see objectively what has happened in the world. Ok, maybe you didn't want UHC. I get that, but Democrats won (we did, sorry if it hurts to hear it) and UHC is what we wanted. Democrats did not want war in Iraq but Bush won and war is what he wanted. And got. It is an open question as to whether or not we will get UHC. My money says we will not. Democrats want companies that offshore American jobs punished. Republicans say that that will stifle business innovation and growth. So the practice of relocating jobs overseas continues and the quotas for H1B visas that allow foreign skilled talent to come to America and displace American skilled talent are being revised upwards. Republicans appear to have no stomach for any kind of compromise. On the important issues of the day America is still under a very Republican rudder. Ingrates.

H

Last edited by Leisesturm; 10-27-2010 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM

590 posts, read 555,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Is this the Democratic definition of "bi-partisanship" ?
LOL, that seems to be the case.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
What he said. I would also wonder about context. Even so, if I pulled off something as major as becoming the first openly African American to win POTUS the end zone breakdance that I would perform would be "R" rated. Word. Truly though, there is a major disconnect operating in America. A LOT of Democrats don't think Obama is doing much to further Democratic aims and a LOT of Republicans don't think Obama is doing much to further Republican aims. Those are mutually exclusive opinions.... ... In this thread, however, the majority opinion is that Obama has not been bi-partisan enough. I could argue that you all need to get past the hurt and sting of Obama's defeat of Republican challengers and see objectively what has happened in the world. Ok, maybe you didn't want UHC. I get that, but Democrats won (we did, sorry if it hurts to hear it) and UHC is what we wanted. Democrats did not want war in Iraq but Bush won and war is what he wanted. And got. It is an open question as to whether or not we will get UHC. My money says we will not. Democrats want companies that offshore American jobs punished. Republicans say that that will stifle business innovation and growth. So the practice of relocating jobs overseas continues and the quotas for H1B visas that allow foreign skilled talent to come to America and displace American skilled talent are being revised upwards. Republicans appear to have no stomach for any kind of compromise. On the important issues of the day America is still under a very Republican rudder. Ingrates.

H
Truth.
They seem to have forgotten how this whole election thing works. A Democrat gets elected and gets to try to fulfill the promises made during the campaign. A foreign concept to some, I know.
Where is it written that the President is supposed to kow-tow to Congress and particularly to the opposing party?
Why is it that President Obama was supposed to reach out and be the conciliator when it was clear from day one that the Republicans had no intention of working with him? It was, and remains, crystal clear to me that the Republicans have no respect for that portion of the citizenry that voted for President Obama, millions of their fellow Americans who are, as far as they are concerned, no more than gum on the bottom of their shoes.

The fact remains that he did win, and those of us who voted for him had/have every right to expect that he would/will enact those policies that we voted for. For the President to remind his detractors of this very thing is simply stating the facts.
Of course when the 'cowboy' expressed these sorts of things, he was 'bringing it on.' When the current president does it, he's 'divisive.' Riiiiight.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Obama should have never tried to appease these fools. He tried...now you call him divisive. He should have said **** them from the gate. They never had any intention on working with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies