Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay couples having children
Yes - it is all about the love a child is given, not the sex of the parents 158 74.53%
No - we are meant to have a male and a female bring us up 54 25.47%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:43 PM

449 posts, read 877,737 times

Advertisements

Most gay couples make excellent parents. I cannot attest to the same with the majority of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Andi think they should be allowed to have kids .
Well, even the government couldn't stop them from HAVING kids! All they need is a willing opposite-sex friend and a turkey baster, LOL. I already told one of my gay (male) friends I'd happily carry his child, and I was serious about that - as long as I'm allowed to play a role in the child's life, whether it's as his/her mother or "auntie."

Old 11-28-2010, 09:48 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I already told one of my gay (male) friends I'd happily carry his child, and I was serious about that.
What a wonderful gift for you to offer! Kudos to you, gizmo

Old 11-28-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Because the lifestyles are not typical of stable households that children are born into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Define “typical†in 2010.
I was going to say the same... what the hell is "typical" these days? Based on the students I've worked with recently, I'd say the norm is single-mother homes with absentee fathers. Is that more stable than two loving gay parents? I don't think so.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
A house with a mother and father, same as 1910.
Apparently you haven't been out much in recent years... more than 50% of households today have only one parent, and the numbers are even higher in low-income neighborhoods. It ain't 1950 anymore, and clearly some people have trouble moving beyond those days.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
What a wonderful gift for you to offer! Kudos to you, gizmo
I'd be happy to do it, since I know he'd make a wonderful father! I'm not that interested in parenting myself, and at age 34 that's probably not going to change... so I'd have no problem providing my "parts" to give that gift to someone else. It probably won't happen at this point, since we're both getting older - but the offer does stand.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
And typical is better because?
It's not... they only say that to make themselves feel better, because they know their argument has no logical basis. Some people are just stuck in the past, and wish it was still 1950! Of course familial problems such as abuse, divorce, affairs, etc, also existed back then - they were just better at sweeping it under the rug. Gay men were called "confirmed bachelors" or married and had a lover on the side, and lesbians were "spinsters" who lived with their elderly mothers. I have an older Aunt who never married, and has lived with her female roommate for over 30 years now. Mmmmhhhmmmm.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,770 times
Can someone please point me to the bible verse(s) that refer to lesbians?

And a bible verse against gay males that doesn't include rape in the context?

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
For adoption I wouldn't care as I think same sex parents is better than a kid in an orphanage.

But for creating biological children I strongly disagree with gay parenting. In my view a child definitely needs both a mother and a father, that is the optimum environment for a child. Anything less is non-optimal and purposefully creating a life to bring it into a non-optimum environment is just very selfish on the part of the gay couple. They want to fulfill their own desires rather than the welfare of the child.

I see I am a minority in this opinion but I guess most people are just voting towards gay people having children to be politically correct and because having such an opinion these days is seen as cool and forward thinking unfortunately which is really sad.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,126 times
Lightbulb Respectfully, I Beg To Differ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
For adoption I wouldn't care as I think same sex parents is better than a kid in an orphanage.

But for creating biological children I strongly disagree with gay parenting. In my view a child definitely needs both a mother and a father, that is the optimum environment for a child. Anything less is non-optimal and purposefully creating a life to bring it into a non-optimum environment is just very selfish on the part of the gay couple. They want to fulfill their own desires rather than the welfare of the child.

I see I am a minority in this opinion but I guess most people are just voting towards gay people having children to be politically correct and because having such an opinion these days is seen as cool and forward thinking unfortunately which is really sad.
PREFACE: I'm not gay...never have been gay...have no desire to be gay...however, at the end of the day, gay men and lesbian women have something in common with me---they are PEOPLE, and citizens of this country, and deserve to be treated as such...and there's nothing 'cool, forward thinking, or politically correct' about that, no matter how much folks want to wrinkle their noses and say 'ewwwww...gross!!'

That having been said, I fail to see any selfishness on the part of gay female couples, as an example, who want to have biological children together...who's to say those women don't have strong male friends or family members in their support network? Same for gay men, and THEIR female friends and family members...

I don't mean to come off as blunt or harsh, but I get dang sick and tired of people who sit on a throne somewhere and go 'tsk tsk tsk' at anyone who doesn't look, act, vote, live, or love the same way they do...this is America, and quiet as it's kept, it takes ALL kinds of people of all races, creeds, religions, political leanings AND sexual orientation to make a great country...one group of people can't, shouldn't, and on my watch by-god won't, sit around and try to tell everyone else what to do, so they can have a more vanilla-flavored nation where nobody colors outside the lines, and everybody is just peachy-keen gosh-all-fishhoooks happy in their little gated enclaves, away from those 'scawwy ol' bad peepuls'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies