Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM

18,419 posts, read 19,031,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
IF there is a god then why the mystery? What is it afraid of? Why does it hide?

Why does it "work in mysterious ways"?

Why doesn't it just show up, state what it wants clearly without the erroneous interpretation by humans ..and get on with it....
why does he/she allow children and old people suffer from illness and hunger and abuse, or anyone for that matter?
why does he allow war and famine?
why give us free will, so we can murder and do evil?
why doesn't prayer work across the board?
why is everything some think as "evil" the devil's work?
why is your religion the correct one and not one of the many others?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Most philosophers would consider it a progression of logic.
Name one and show me where he called it that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
Really? What caused you and me to be here, then?
I was proximately caused by a sexual act between my parents. I suspect that your cause was similar.

Quote:
What caused the invariant natural law to be put into place?
It was never "put into place." It is a characteristic of the eternal and uncreated universe.

Just as you would probably assert that omnipotence and omniscience are characteristics of your eternal and uncreated God. But of course, since omnipotence and omniscience are mutually exclusive, we can dismiss your god as being internally contradictory and self refuting.

Not so with the universe.

Quote:
I agree that there is nothing in this universe that wasn't created...do you?
Close. I agree that there is nothing in the universe that wasn't caused. "Created" presumes a sentient creator, and that would be absurd.

But remember, you actually do not agree with this at all. You believe that there is one thing in the universe that was not created or caused... God.

And before you resume the "definitional punt" regarding God residing "outside" of the universe, I would remind you that God is supposed to be "omnipresent." That would by definition include Him as residing within the universe also.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
The fact that the heat has not totally dissipated and matter has not ceased to exist proves the universe is not eternal.
Nonsense.

It proves only that there has been a finite amount of time since the Big Bang.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I can imagine the uproar if this sign was in the US...

Atheist ads poised to board Calgary buses (http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/Atheist+poised+board+buses/3916305/story.html - broken link)
There are a lot of Canadians that believe in Bigfoot, so
I'm sure there was a lot of uproar over that one
Not so sure why homeopathy is there.

But in general I really like the sign: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence with Allah, Bigfoot, UFOs, Homeopathy, Zeus, Psychics, Christ," written underneath.

Get's the point across quite well But, did they get permission from Sagan's family to use the phrase? I don't think he ever declared himself an atheist.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
The fact that you actively debate against the existence of God shows that it's a worldview for you.
What does that even mean?

Quote:
You are't just apathetic to the idea--you actively believe there is not a God.

So your belief is no God.
Duh!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Look in the mirror, look out your window. Do you honestly think something as complex as nature and the human body just came about by chance from nothing?

Argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Tell me, please do...out of the thousands of gods man claims to exist...which one do you believe in?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
They don't believe we came from nothing. They believe we came from dust, or a rib, or something.
Creation ex nihilo is actually a fundamental doctrine of Creationism.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Nonsense.

It proves only that there has been a finite amount of time since the Big Bang.
If it existed for an eternal amount of time prior to the singularity it would have dissipated and cooled....so that doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Tell me, please do...out of the thousands of gods man claims to exist...which one do you believe in?
ignorantiam has never stopped the atheists from trying to argue their point, why do hold anyone else to a higher standard?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
New Atheist Billboard Up in New Jersey - CNN iReport
Arrogant little creeps, this group is, aren't they?
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Getting back to the OP.
Shouldn't it be reasonable that the christian beliefs should be respected as much as christians respect other beliefs?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
If the universe was eternal, and had existed for trillions x trillions x trillions x trillions x........as in no beginning.....

first of all, we wouldn't have been able to pass an infinite amount of time to get to NOW....but 2nd of all, it would have been totally expanded and cooled off by now.
Wrong and wrong.

It has always been now. So it would take an infinite amount of time to get to the beginning of time... since there is no such thing in the first place.

And of course, the fact that there has been a finite amount of time since the Big bang says exactly nothing about the age of the universe.

Quote:
Adam was formed from dirt, eve from his rib.

The dirt was formed from nothing.
Told ya so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies