Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I really worry about her kids .
OK, now assume she loses her benefits due to a failed drug test. Who feeds the kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:19 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:
Actually I don't hate the poor, however I personally know of a person, who I am unfortunately sort of "related" too (Not actually related to, but a stepchild of an in-law that we see from time to time...) Has 4 kids from 4 dads, is single, doesn't work, unless it's under the table and untaxed, a druggie, and gets govt housing, food stamps, even spending cash from the govt. All taught by her mom who actually lived off of her kids benefits for most of her life too.. They even brag about how much they are getting away with... I think drug testing for these benefits is a good idea. I don't think that people should be rewarded for irresponsibility and I really worry about her kids and how they will turn out.
Part of the reason that people become so distrustful of the poor are because of people such as your distant relative who is scamming the system.
Personally, I would become part of the solution & pick up the phone & call to complain how your tax dollars are being wasted.

Be aware & prepared if testing does eventually become mandatory for entitlement programs that you should also agree to your taxes being increased to pay for it.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
OK, now assume she loses her benefits due to a failed drug test. Who feeds the kids?
orphanages.

privatized orphanages, i mean, run by contractors. like Hallliburton, or WalMart, or whomever bids the lowest.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
As opposed to her selling these benefits for a fraction of their value to support her habits?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Actually I don't hate the poor, however I personally know of a person, who I am unfortunately sort of "related" too (Not actually related to, but a stepchild of an in-law that we see from time to time...) Has 4 kids from 4 dads, is single, doesn't work, unless it's under the table and untaxed, a druggie, and gets govt housing, food stamps, even spending cash from the govt. All taught by her mom who actually lived off of her kids benefits for most of her life too.. They even brag about how much they are getting away with... I think drug testing for these benefits is a good idea. I don't think that people should be rewarded for irresponsibility and I really worry about her kids and how they will turn out.
Seems like a lot of us know someone like this.

I had a neighbor with five children...she would leave them alone in the care of the oldest, who was ten...to go to the bar. It was legal for her to do so because the oldest child was ten. But the girl wasn't able to really care for her younger siblings properly, and she'd be knocking on my door at any small emergency. There were times when I felt like an unpaid babysitter. I was working, going to school, and taking care of my own family at the time, so it was a frustrating situation.

Then the welfare office told her she'd have to enroll in either treatment or a job program. She chose treatment and surprisingly enough she got clean; even apologized to me a year or so later for the problems that her drinking had caused.

But I think if they just drug tested her, she would have found a way around it. And I'm not sure that illegal drugs were a problem with her but rather alcohol, which is out of your system pretty fast. I think that meth is as well. And as I said before, they know ways around it. Google urine for sale for drug testing purposes or something like that and you'll see what I mean.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Who's problem is that? She knows the rules and if she breaks them, too bad on her.

Some of you people kill me. A guy gets arrested for a DUI. Didn't kill anyone, etc. He possibly could lose his job and source of income for his family. Who is going to feed them? Most of you would say: Too bad. He drove drunk.

What is the difference? At least he had a job. This freeloader, was sucking up tax money from everyone else. She broke the rules, got caught, pay the price. It's not my problem to feed her 6 kids, from 6 different fathers; it's hers and the fathers. NOT MINE.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Some of you people kill me. A guy gets arrested for a DUI. Didn't kill anyone, etc. He possibly could lose his job and source of income for his family. Who is going to feed them? Most of you would say: Too bad. He drove drunk.

What do you mean by "you people"?
OK well that wouldn't be my position at all. But thanks for putting words in my mouth, mate. I was simply stating a question.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:

Take the kids away from her. They will never grow up to have any kind of a decent chance being raised by a "druggie."

Put them in a home where they can grow up to be "clean," decent and law-abiding citizens which will give them a good life they would not have otherwise have had.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And I'm not sure that illegal drugs were a problem with her but rather alcohol, which is out of your system pretty fast. I think that meth is as well. And as I said before, they know ways around it. Google urine for sale for drug testing purposes or something like that and you'll see what I mean.

Good point. An ETG test for alcohol is accurate up to 72 hours, I've passed with about 14 hours.

I have no personal experience for meth but have done a little research on this topic before, meth shows up for a couple days, cocaine can pass your system in an hour unless, you use constantly then is about 24 hours. Opiates including pills and heroin last around 48 hours in your system.

Marijuana is the killer as it can stick around up to 30 days, but if use is infrequent it can also pass in about 24 hours.

If your drug of choice is LSD or Mushrooms, congratulations, there is no test. Unless they want to dig through your stool a day after ingesting mushrooms, or give you a spinal tap to check for acid.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I need a third option.

Welfare yes, unemployment, no. Everyone who works pays into the unemployment system. People don't have to work to get welfare.

On welfare, no, you shouldn't be doing any drug. I smoke marijuana, and I grow it for my own use. So I'd fail a drug test, but that doesn't mean I'm spending money on it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies