Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't live in complete isolation, I read the newspaper everyday and I watch the news most night. You know where I heard about Plain's Target list and reload comment; on this forum. All I'm saying is we have no idea what motivated him to do what he did and trying to say he was influenced by Palin's comments is nothing more then political garbage.
But the Left and the media, along with democrats in congress, are pushing this HEAVY.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't live in complete isolation, I read the newspaper everyday and I watch the news most night. You know where I heard about Plain's Target list and reload comment; on this forum. All I'm saying is we have no idea what motivated him to do what he did and trying to say he was influenced by Palin's comments is nothing more then political garbage.
Since he attended a Gifford rally in the past, it might just be possible that he had some weird obsession with her. Something more on the lines of that fan who showed up to an actress's home and killed her.

To hold onto a thank-you for attending letter from a politician, even keeping it in a safe is certainly bizarre. And then killing that politician a few years later is very bizarre.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
From June 14:
"We have a mentally unstable person in the class that scares the living crap out of me. He is one of those whose picture you see on the news, after he has come into class with an automatic weapon.
44 - Jared Loughner's behavior recorded by college classmate in e-mails

Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I'm afraid when somebody says "Don't retreat, reload" they have to be held accountable for their rhetoric. When you combine her comments with using crosshairs to denote Congressional districts that should be "Targeted" the combination is one that leads to an enviormment where people with extreme views advocate violence. As a public figure Sarah Palin is responsible for contributing to the tone of political discourse in this country.
Perhaps the rhetoric needs to stop from on high:

Does your last sentence apply to the president?

Quote:
“They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”, “Get in Their Faces!”, “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”, “Hit Back Twice As Hard”, “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“, “hand to hand combat”, “It’s time to Fight for it.”, “Punish your enemies.”, “I’m itching for a fight.”
The great 'uniter' has divided this country across so many lines it may never recover.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:56 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah---we're having a discussion in the Alaska forum and one of the posters there seems to believe that Palin should be arrested for inciting the shooting.

But it's looking more and more like the shooter developed this fixation for Gifford since before anyone even knew who Palin was.

I'm still no fan of Palin's rhetoric and I hope that she tones it down some now, but I don't think her crosshairs had a thing to do with this.
Don't ruin the fantasy for everyone....

Old 01-09-2011, 03:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Since he attended a Gifford rally in the past, it might just be possible that he had some weird obsession with her. Something more on the lines of that fan who showed up to an actress's home and killed her.

To hold onto a thank-you for attending letter from a politician, even keeping it in a safe is certainly bizarre. And then killing that politician a few years later is very bizarre.
One of his friends who was interviewed indicated that he had become angry with Gifford in 2007, referring to her as stupid, etc. It seems it started then.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:01 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You're just as short-sighted as the people who are blaming the tea party. And citing Newsmax as your proof?

You're free to believe whatever you want about him, but the bottom line is that the shooter was a crazy loon. Trying to connect him with either the right or the left is a waste of energy.
Thanks for posting the truth on just ANOTHER thread trying to make this a left right issue, which it is not.
Casper

Old 01-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
One of his friends who was interviewed indicated that he had become angry with Gifford in 2007, referring to her as stupid, etc. It seems it started then.
Weird how he saved that letter. Normal people just put those in the trash or if they save them, they don't kill that politician later.

This lonely unstable guy probably became her fan - and nothing is more dangerous to a celebrity than an obsessive fan.

He's probably one of those freaks that thinks he has some special friendship with someone in power and took everything personally.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:04 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This is the kind of stuff that makes this board so sick and twisted. Just how did you manage to turn him into a left wing radical out of that article? Mein Kampf is a standard among neo nazi, radical right wing hate groups. The communist manifesto is on the other side of the coin. His writings on social media sites revolved around being upset about the gold standard--a major fringe right wing issue. He called himself a terrorist in his writings. Recent news reports show he had collected info on the Congresswoman and her events, and locked them in a safe. Who knows what his political beliefs are--it's not clear. What is clear, and I think the issue in this whole thing, is that the rhetoric during the last election cycle was raised to the point where violence seemed to be an acceptable action. When you start talking about crosshairs, and 2nd amendment options, some poor nut may think he's going to become a hero by walking in and shooting 19 people. It's COMPLETELY IRRESPONSIBLE--no matter which side of the political debate you're on. Someone mentioned Daily Kos doing the same thing--I've never read Kos in my life, but I checked reports out about it. That post was made by an anonymous poster on a blog--not by anyone responsible for the site itself, or, for heavens sake, A LEADER IN THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. As a former republican, all I can say is ENOUGH. This has to stop.
Well said. Good to see rational minds dealing with those that want to turn the tragic events in AZ into a finger pointing opportunity.
Casper

Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Or like the Beatles' fan who killed John Lennon. Or the Selena fan who killed Selena.

Killing their favorite celebrity provides them some power over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies