Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Palin is a public person. She speaks at political events, operates on a TV show (the definition of public), and is actively floating the idea that she will run for President.

Her words reach millions, and the odds that your poor wording could incite someone to violence increases with the numbers of listeners to your words increase.

If Mrs. Palin said "don't retreat, reload" in the privacy of her own home (when on televised), or at the beauty parlor with no press, then thats fine. But when you are actively speaking publicly trying to push a political and social agenda to other people you have to be more careful with your statements.

Just like if a prominent black leader said "Don't give up on affirmative action, reload your glock" would be a **** poor use of the English language, and could incite someone to violence.

I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to say it, she does, and I'd fight for that. But she has the responsibility to use better wording.
Any evidence that anyone has ever committed an act of violence because of anything Palin has ever said?

Nope, none, not at all.

This shooter was on antidepressents or some other type of psychriatric drug. Just like all other mass killers. Instead of doing something about this we will make these accusations that because someone once said said something it led to violence.

The police should take a look at this guys shrink if they are going to blame anyone else.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
One lady very adamnately stated that the biggest problem in our country was that there's no longer prayer in schools. She says our youth have no moral values and don't care.

My take on it, having been tutored in religion and assigned bible verses to memorize each week while I was in the third and fourth grades in McKenzie and Milan, TN is...Thank Goodness At Least One Third Of A Child's Authority Figures Is Not Allowed to Pray And Teach Religion. The parents and the church are already reinforcing the bible to 85% of youngsters in this country. When that percentage of our youth are being brainwashed by 2/3rds of their authority figures what chance does anything else have. Maybe the lady would like it if the government forced a Christian Theocracy on us...Ya Think?

Well if you haven't had thoughts of killing someone maybe it was OK.

Good God, the crap being spewed about Palin, guns, bigotry, you name it... I definately believe that some posters need something more to believe in than gov't and politics. A whole lotta hating going on.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
First, I disagree that words like "Don't retreat, reload" are not violent. What comes to my mind when I hear that is, "don't run, stay and shoot."

I think it's certainly reasonable that Palin does share in responsibility for this incident as a result of the synergy created by ALL THE MANY people in the public eye who are using such "loaded" language these days. Could we think in terms of critical mass? It seems to me very possible that this mentally disturbed man just demonstrated teh synergistic effect of longterm use of such violent language of hatred in terms of politics......

Key word....SYNERGY.
Any proof this guy ever heard anything Sarah Palin ever said? Nope.

You think maybe he was listening to lefties instead. They use the same type of language. He shot a judge appointed by George Bush.

Maybe we should haul all lefties before Congress and get to the bottom of what this kid was influenced by.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Any evidence that anyone has ever committed an act of violence because of anything Palin has ever said?

Nope, none, not at all.

This shooter was on antidepressents or some other type of psychriatric drug. Just like all other mass killers. Instead of doing something about this we will make these accusations that because someone once said said something it led to violence.

The police should take a look at this guys shrink if they are going to blame anyone else.
I never said there was, did I?

I'm saying that at a time when things like this happen, its at least good for people to look at what they are saying and that the potential is there for people to take words out of context. Insane people will always be insane, and will always find a way. I'm saying that we should limit those excuses to as few as is humanly possible, and our public citizens have the responsibility to use better wording than "don't retreat, reload".

The only official I completely disagreed with was the "second amendment solution to the congress", but the fair people of Nevada saw fit to not elect such a moron, and I applaud them for doing so.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:05 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's a bulls-eye, not a gun sight.
What the hell do you think you do to a bulls-eye? Blow kisses at it?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
I can give you that.

I just think it is silly that people try and make Palin responsible for this when the left has done the exact same thing.

There is no evidence whatsoever that this kid even paid attention to anything Palin ever said. But people want to blame her? LOLs. Total nonsense.

Thsi kid was mentally unstable. He went to a shrink and got on antidepressents. He turned violent. The exact same thing that happened with the Columbine killers, John Hinckly, the Ft Hood shooter, the VaTech shooter and practically every other mass killer in U.S. history.

Book it.
I agree with you. I admit, I was quick to criticize Palin yesterday and associate her with this shooting, but I now believe that I was wrong.

The shooter could have been inspired by anyone or any group, but ultimately, he is the one responsible for his actions.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
First, I disagree that words like "Don't retreat, reload" are not violent. What comes to my mind when I hear that is, "don't run, stay and shoot."
Not what comes to my mind. If you look at what else Palin said it was obvious she was saying "Don't give up, stay and fight". And it had nothing to do with violence.

It's no different than a politician saying "We're going to Washington and we're gonna fight for the American people". Should we hold them accountable for encouraging violence. Fight implies violence.

Of course, anyone can things and make them fit a political agenda. It's a shortcut to thinking. Something the left is pretty good at.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Absolutely, some of the things he has said have been over the line.

I have said numerous times in this thread that both parties, leaders, and public citizens should take this as a time to temper their tongues and speak using better non-violent wording.
The politicians and media do this because it appeals to the masses. Violent terms draw attention.
American TV and movies often depict violence as unavoidable, also as justified. The hero is a hero because he triumphed by the use of violence. The masses love this.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:10 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Watching this now on Fox News. The only person to blame for this is the one who pulled the trigger.

Very sad situation for all.
That gets the various partisans no political points....

Old 01-09-2011, 02:12 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,892 times
Quote:

Nope, none, not at all.

How do you know the man was on "antidepressents" (sic)? Do you have a link or something to back up that assertion?

asking if there is any "evidence" that "anyone" has ever committed an act of violence because of anything Palin has ever said is just silly. You have no idea how many "acts of violence" may have been committed in the privacy of people's homes as a result of anything Palin may have said.

Palin is part of a well-known group of people who are read and heard by millions of people in this country, and that group has been very careless with their language, and they love the shock effect of violent imagery with words. Together, those people (group) have had a synergistic effect which is being reflected by the acts of violence by people who live on the edge of mental stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies