Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 01:34 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Prior to reading the op's post I wouldn't have thought it possible someone would attempt to use the Arizona tragedy as an excuse to flaunt their personal anti-religious agenda. I should have known better.
I was posting about the calls to the CSPAN hot line concerning rep. Giffords's tragedy. Would you like to hear about the major number of callers who blamed Sarah Palin and Fox News?

About the religious angle 85% of the public gets their way about religion...can't you cut the 15% of us a little slack occasionally?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Congress person was shot by somebody with some pretty deranged political views. Sorry, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to leave politics out of this.
Yeah.

Now I don't care for Palin's little list at all and I hope that the former gov. rethinks her inflammatory rhetoric now, and I actually believe that she will.

But there seems to be no evidence that he was influenced by her list or even knew it existed or who was on it.

I think he was influenced "politically" but that the influence probably came from elsewhere.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,507,074 times
Quote:
Congress person was shot by somebody with some pretty deranged political views. Sorry, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to leave politics out of this.
His motives might have been to create a new currency out of dreams, for all we know.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I choose to live in a free country. As such, I understand the inherent risk of doing that. I don't have to be searched by the police when I leave my house, neither does a armed robber. Anything can happen to me on a daily basis.

As long as I can maintain the freedoms I enjoy, and I have the ability to defend myself if the situation arises, then its worth the risk.

Lunatics will always kill people, they'll always find a way, an excuse, and a means. Restricting our freedoms would do nothing but to encourage further nut job action.
On this we agree.

I wonder if more couldn't be done for the mentally ill - but I don't know what can be done if they don't seek services or medications offered.

Mostly mentally ill people don't end up committing terribly violent acts. At the same time - they may be a whole lot more susceptible to drugs, music lyrics, political debate, and a lot of other things the rest of us at least me aren't affected by.

The voices in their heads can be what causes them to do something but also they might be more easily led by other psychotics - like the Manson cult. Those were some strange people. Or the Jim Jones, or Waco cult - people will follow certain leaders. But many other cults exist and we never even notice them.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:40 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I was posting about the calls to the CSPAN hot line concerning rep. Giffords's tragedy. Would you like to hear about the major number of callers who blamed Sarah Palin and Fox News?

About the religious angle 85% of the public gets their way about religion...can't you cut the 15% of us a little slack occasionally?
I'd argue you were cherry picking in the hope of bolstering your personal agenda.

As far as the Palin and Fox news comments go your stand on both of them is well known and comments regarding both are being made ad nauseam in a plethora of other threads.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:41 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Target stores use a (TARGET) as their corporate logo, should all the crazy people in the world start shooting up Target shoppers?
But Target doesn't tell people "Don't retreat, reload".

Old 01-09-2011, 01:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
But Target doesn't tell people "Don't retreat, reload".
Nor does it call for snipers to kill a president they don't like - which the liberals did. "Snipers wanted" is about explicit as it gets.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:43 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
I'm afraid when somebody says "Don't retreat, reload" they have to be held accountable for their rhetoric. When you combine her comments with using crosshairs to denote Congressional districts that should be "Targeted" the combination is one that leads to an enviormment where people with extreme views advocate violence. As a public figure Sarah Palin is responsible for contributing to the tone of political discourse in this country.
Palin is not a public figure. She is a private citizen that sometimes is in the public eye. Big difference.

Is there any evidence whatsoever that this guy did this because of anything Palin said? No. So what is with the slander?

And what about the lefties that do the exact same thing. Daily KOS put a bullseye on the same district and said they were targeting the Congresswoman in order to put a more liberal member in her place.

Was DailyKOS advocating violence? And why do you only point out Palin?

There is nothing wrong with saying "Don't retreat, reload". Nothing violent about it.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,094,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That's all it is. Just a sense that he acted alone. Can you imagine him enlisting an accomplice in his insane, murderous plot, showing that person his rantings.......could there really be another that has the mentality of this kid?
You were right. Authorities have talked to the second person they believed may have been involved in the shooting, and it turns out that the guy was a taxi driver who brought the shooter to the mall, and had nothing to do with the incident. Taxi driver said that when they got to the mall, the passenger (later shooter) said he didn't have change, so the two of them went into the grocery store together, came out together, and then went their separate ways. So, the shooter took a taxi to the Congress On Your Corner meeting.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,455 times
I don't think she is trying to push her agenda. These things freak people out and I thinks it's only natural that people would try to find a logical explanation for such a(n) horrendous act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies