Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 01:46 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times

Advertisements

1,000 posts since yesterday. Is this a record ?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:49 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,454,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
1,000 posts since yesterday. Is this a record ?
Thats because they keep washing in other threads with this one

Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,486,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Palin is not a public figure. She is a private citizen that sometimes is in the public eye. Big difference.

Is there any evidence whatsoever that this guy did this because of anything Palin said? No. So what is with the slander?

And what about the lefties that do the exact same thing. Daily KOS put a bullseye on the same district and said they were targeting the Congresswoman in order to put a more liberal member in her place.

Was DailyKOS advocating violence? And why do you only point out Palin?

There is nothing wrong with saying "Don't retreat, reload". Nothing violent about it.
this.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Palin is not a public figure. She is a private citizen that sometimes is in the public eye. Big difference.
Palin is very much a public figure. She may not be a public official, currently, but she is certainly a public figure.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:

Is there any evidence whatsoever that this guy did this because of anything Palin said? No. So what is with the slander?

And what about the lefties that do the exact same thing. Daily KOS put a bullseye on the same district and said they were targeting the Congresswoman in order to put a more liberal member in her place.

There is nothing wrong with saying "Don't retreat, reload". Nothing violent about it.
Palin is a public person. She speaks at political events, operates on a TV show (the definition of public), and is actively floating the idea that she will run for President.

Her words reach millions, and the odds that your poor wording could incite someone to violence increases with the numbers of listeners to your words increase.

If Mrs. Palin said "don't retreat, reload" in the privacy of her own home (when on televised), or at the beauty parlor with no press, then thats fine. But when you are actively speaking publicly trying to push a political and social agenda to other people you have to be more careful with your statements.

Just like if a prominent black leader said "Don't give up on affirmative action, reload your glock" would be a **** poor use of the English language, and could incite someone to violence.

I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to say it, she does, and I'd fight for that. But she has the responsibility to use better wording.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Target stores use a (TARGET) as their corporate logo, should all the crazy people in the world start shooting up Target shoppers?
It's a bulls-eye, not a gun sight.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:58 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Palin is very much a public figure. She may not be a public official, currently, but she is certainly a public figure.
I can give you that.

I just think it is silly that people try and make Palin responsible for this when the left has done the exact same thing.

There is no evidence whatsoever that this kid even paid attention to anything Palin ever said. But people want to blame her? LOLs. Total nonsense.

Thsi kid was mentally unstable. He went to a shrink and got on antidepressents. He turned violent. The exact same thing that happened with the Columbine killers, John Hinckly, the Ft Hood shooter, the VaTech shooter and practically every other mass killer in U.S. history.

Book it.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:58 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,454,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Palin is a public person. She speaks at political events, operates on a TV show (the definition of public), and is actively floating the idea that she will run for President.

Her words reach millions, and the odds that your poor wording could incite someone to violence increases with the numbers of listeners to your words increase.

If Mrs. Palin said "don't retreat, reload" in the privacy of her own home (when on televised), or at the beauty parlor with no press, then thats fine. But when you are actively speaking publicly trying to push a political and social agenda to other people you have to be more careful with your statements.

Just like if a prominent black leader said "Don't give up on affirmative action, reload your glock" would be a **** poor use of the English language, and could incite someone to violence.

I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to say it, she does, and I'd fight for that. But she has the responsibility to use better wording.
oh you mean like obamas statements just since he has been elected towards police, racism and others where he keeps the division/hate going in this country!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
oh you mean like obamas statements just since he has been elected towards police, racism and others where he keeps the division/hate going in this country!
Absolutely, some of the things he has said have been over the line.

I have said numerous times in this thread that both parties, leaders, and public citizens should take this as a time to temper their tongues and speak using better non-violent wording.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,094,148 times
Quote:

First, I disagree that words like "Don't retreat, reload" are not violent. What comes to my mind when I hear that is, "don't run, stay and shoot."

I think it's certainly reasonable that Palin does share in responsibility for this incident as a result of the synergy created by ALL THE MANY people in the public eye who are using such "loaded" language these days. Could we think in terms of critical mass? It seems to me very possible that this mentally disturbed man just demonstrated teh synergistic effect of longterm use of such violent language of hatred in terms of politics......

Key word....SYNERGY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies