Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The killer was massively influenced by the leftest punk group "Anti-flag"

Here are some Anti-Flag lyrics"

"Red, White And Brainwashed"

I see a much more direct link between anti-flag and the killings than anything ever said by Beck or Palin.
This was in 2007. The former friend who mentioned this has repeatedly said herself that she has not seen him for three years and has no idea of what he's into NOW or what happened. She's also getting annoyed that people are reading more into what she said and erasing those three years. She is into Anti-Flag too and it means nothing, anyway. I was a Sex Pistols fan in the 80s but I'm not running around calling for anarchy in the UK

Old 01-09-2011, 08:24 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If he was a leftist group, why would he kill democrats?

That makes no sense. I read the quote that you put in, that could be used by someone on the right also.

I'm not saying that Beck or Palin caused this, anyone who says that has lost touch with reality. However, we have to understand that the words of public officials and public citizens have weight in the minds of those who are insane.

You should never give an excuse to insane people. Mrs. Palins "don't retreat, reload" statement is a prime example. That was a stupid thing to say, I know she wasn't promoting open rebellion against the government, but it was still a stupid thing to say in her position.

If your local loudmouth at the barber shop says it, its not going to go anywhere. But when you have voice to millions of people, you've got to be careful what you say.
She was a conservative Democrat, he was much farther to the left then she was, according to her friends. She was a former Republican, a business owner, supported bringing National Guard Troops to the Arizona border, didn't vote for Pelosi, etc. He was a pot smoking atheist who burned flags and listed the communist manifesto as one of his favorite books.

But probably more importantly, she was the politician he had access to. He had met her before, and so knew something about her. He asked her an apparently non-nonsensical question, and when she couldn't answer said she was unintelligent.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
This was in 2007. The former friend who mentioned this has repeatedly said herself that she has not seen him for three years and has no idea of what he's into NOW or what happened. She's also getting annoyed that people are reading more into what she said and erasing those three years. She is into Anti-Flag too and it means nothing, anyway. I was a Sex Pistols fan in the 80s but I'm not running around calling for anarchy in the UK
But the evidence for this is much stronger than the evidence that he did a 180 and suddenly became a Palin supporter or a Beck fan.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
The judge, a friend of Congresswoman Giffords, decided to stop by her public engagement on his way home from church to say hi. I highly doubt he was the intended victim since who could have known he would stop by that morning? I think you're reaching here...

Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Friends said he was a left wing pothead.

Case closed.

/thread
A friend, not "friends". Not a thread closer.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I like the way people call out Beck, Limbaugh etc.... and give specific examples. Then they just throw in that sometimes liberals are bad actors also. But never go into specifics. Trying to make themselves look like they aren't partisan. LOLs.

I think it is nothing but pure hatred to use the death of a 9-year old girl to make Beck look bad. Purley partisian, purley disgusting.

Does anyone have proof this guy knows who Glen Beck is? Sarah Palin? Rush Limbaugh?
If you're referring to me the reason I didn't go into detail on Olbermann is because I don't even find him entertaining. He does bad job of making anything he says believable IMO. Rush sometimes makes me laugh. Beck does a better job as he is not as stale.

As far as Palin goes, I think she has a popular voice. Many people in Alaska seemed pleased with her job as governor. I would not support her as the GOP candidate because I don't think she would make a good president. I also don't see how any reasonable person could hold her responsible for anything a mentally unstable person has done.

Morning news shows are now discussing whether metaphors should be removed from public political discourse. I certainly hope not. I personally can't stand the over use of sports analogies and metaphors. It is ironic that some of the ramblings of the shooter were on control of speech fueling his frustration and now we are hearing suggestions to control speech to avoid the problems.

The PC world does not make a kinder, gentler society. It just forces it underground where irrationality is not discussed, debated, and deflated!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
She was a conservative Democrat, he was much farther to the left then she was, according to her friends. She was a former Republican, a business owner, supported bringing National Guard Troops to the Arizona border, didn't vote for Pelosi, etc. He was a pot smoking atheist who burned flags and listed the communist manifesto as one of his favorite books.

But probably more importantly, she was the politician he had access to. He had met her before, and so knew something about her. He asked her an apparently non-nonsensical question, and when she couldn't answer said she was unintelligent.
I think we've got to be careful not to say what his actions were guided by. I'm not saying he was on the right or left, just that it doesn't make initial sense for him to be against conservatives when he killed only liberals.

An Arizona democrat has to be some what conservative, but if AZ is anything like TN, it doesn't matter how much of a blue dog they are, they are still democrats.

We'll all know more in the next week to what his actions may have been guided by. Until then, I think we should all hold our stones before throwing them. You raise interesting points, although I haven't seen them echoed on the news as of yet.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
He also listed The Communist Manifesto, along with Mein Kampf, as one of his favorite books. How do you reconcile that?

The guy was just plain nuts Even his former college told him to seek a mental health professional. From comments about him from people who knew him, even casually, in the last few years, he doesn't appear to be right in the head.
Wouldn't anyone who claims those books as "good reading" sick in the head?

I've read them, but do not own them.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,898 times
No reason to try and figure it out, prevent it from happening again perhaps but its only going to get worse for those in government.

Wait for gas prices to hit $6.00 a gallon and the cost of everything increases beyond your income and you'll need to protect yourself from your neighbor!

We all need to take a good look around

Terrible thing what has happened may we all pray for her.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The judge, a friend of Congresswoman Giffords, decided to stop by her public engagement on his way home from church to say hi. I highly doubt he was the intended victim since who could have known he would stop by that morning? I think you're reaching here...
Why is it reaching ? The DEAD FEDERAL JUDGE should be the headline .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies