Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 10:43 AM

499 posts, read 405,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Lots more of that where that came from............
History in general is obviously important, or no one would bother studying it. It is absurd to suggest otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The NAACP threw a fit down in Georgia that schools wanted to have class on MLK Day to help make up for missed school days duing the storm.
That's not what I was asking... I meant how do you know "they" wouldn't complain if President's Day were suggested instead? Methinks you were just ASSuming.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I don't give a rat's ass about the historic struggles of black folks, honestly, b/c they have no bearing on today. The past is the past and most of us have moved on now. I suggest you do the same.
Wow... and I thought I couldn't disagree with you MORE, but you have now trumped all of your other comments on C-D. History has a bearing on the present, because that which is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself. As we say on Yom HaShoah - never forget. That doesn't mean we can't move forward, but to erase & negate the civil rights struggle is ignorant, insulting and dangerous.

P.S. If you don't think racism exists anymore, just because you didn't SEE people being harassed, again that is an ignorant and dangerous POV.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-16-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,426,353 times
Well in my district a few years ago they proposed starting a week earlier (labor day) and nary a peep from the NAACP.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Actually, the reason I didn't respond to this OP is because I felt she wasn't able to get a coherent thought out. Do you even understand what she's talking about? Does she not realize that "playing the race card" is a bad thing? Apparently she is using it in place of "accuses one of racism," but that is not the same thing at all. Then I had to wonder if it was a white poster posing as an illiterate black person just to get a rise out of people. Since I couldn't be sure, I just didn't respond.
You know what's funny? I didn't even ponder or assume the OP's race, and had to go back & see if I missed where she said "I'm Black, btw" - because I didn't know either way. I also had little trouble understanding the post, and I'm the most anal person EVER when it comes to spelling/grammar.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Well in my district a few years ago they proposed starting a week earlier (labor day) and nary a peep from the NAACP.
Not the same thing, unless they proposed school ON Labor Day... and did people of any color complain about that? I wouldn't be surprised if they did, especially since you said they only proposed that start date. Regardless, her (Mrs Skeffington's) comment and assumption was very telling.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:45 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,118,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
This may be true for you, but if it were true across the board then by default there would be no racism nowadays. Ever. At all. This is just an ignorant statement from that point of view.
Did you ever consider the fact that people base their prejudices on personal experience? The same way that blacks go around saying every white person is racist, there are some whites who have been truly hurt in some way by a black person, so they hold that stereotype to ALL blacks. Not saying it's right, but I would not just base today's racism on the actions of a few white folks 150 years ago. THAT is ignorant.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,341,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post

I don't give a rat's ass about the historic struggles of black folks, honestly, b/c they have no bearing on today. The past is the past and most of us have moved on now. I suggest you do the same.
Would you please explain how they have no "bearing" on today, and I'm sure I'll refute that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
This may be true for you, but if it were true across the board then by default there would be no racism nowadays. Ever. At all. This is just an ignorant statement from that point of view.

I wish I could rep the OP, somehow I can't! hmm..

Old 01-16-2011, 01:48 PM

956 posts, read 1,115,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You are very correct that double standards exist.

Had a white conservative used the same erroneous punctuation and grammar you did in this post, liberals would have eaten him or her alive. As is, you seem to have gotten a pass from all sides. Are we seeing a double standard in action? As a known white male, I'm certain I would have been called out by a literate leftist were I the writer of a similarly written post. Does your status as an African-American - I'm assuming you're black - mean no white person may criticize your use of the English language for fear of being called a bigot? More to the point, will I be labeled a racist for pointing out what everyone has seen but no one appears to have mentioned?

Yes princessdanika99, double standards abound. And while you wondered "why most white people try to disguise it like it is not happening", I expect you'll be a little disappointed that I failed to turn the customary whites-only "blind side" to this particular double standard.
Firstly, we are writing posts on an internet forum, not post-graduate biomedical research papers. Secondly, there are posters on here from all races and backgrounds who use poor grammar. I'm not going to start listing names, but there are several "conservative" posters on here who consistently spell words incorrectly, use commas in the wrong spots, etc. So here we have a double-standard within a double-standard. Will it be fair to assume that you'll be critiquing the grammar of every other poster from now on?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:49 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,118,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wow... and I thought I couldn't disagree with you MORE, but you have now trumped all of your other comments on C-D. History has a bearing on the present, because that which is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself. As we say on Yom HaShoah - never forget. That doesn't mean we can't move forward, but to erase & negate the civil rights struggle is ignorant, insulting and dangerous.

P.S. If you don't think racism exists anymore, just because you didn't SEE people being harassed, again that is an ignorant and dangerous POV.
It's not ignorant, insulting or dangerous. What IS ignorant, insulting and dangerous is to say that all blacks have a right to play the race card anytime they don't get their way. Ya know what, you can add ridiculous to our little list of adjectives as well. No one is saying we need to forget, I am saying we need to move on and stop holding the actions of a few truly racist people 150 years ago, or heck, even 50 years ago, against the entire population of whites in 2011.

And no, I never once said racism doesn't exist, I said I have never seen it and therefore I do not believe it happens on as large a scale as blacks would like to have us believe.

Please go back and reread my post since you obviously would rather take things out of context than actually consider that my words have validity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies