Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post

I guess it's easier for you to say when you are not discriminated against.

Do y'all realize that black folks still have to deal with hate crimes, harassment, and public displays of bigotry on a daily basis. It has nothing to do with playing the "race card" but everything to do with exposing the insidious cancer in this country called 'race hatred'. Enlighten yourself by picking up a book about the struggles of black folks historically and presently.
No, I don't realize that. Because it doesn't happen far and wide like you claim. In my 27 years, living in a variety of places, including a hick town, I have NEVER seen black folks dealing with hate crimes, harassment or public displays of bigotry. EVER. Not once.

Please, gimme a break. You can read into anything and find racism, but that's b/c you are looking for it and not giving people the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure if a white guy got the same job you applied for and you were turned down, you would cry racism...it has nothing to do with the fact that perhaps the other guy was a better fit, and the employer wasn't even paying attention to race. Like I said, as much as you would like to think, white people are generally colorblind and do not make business or even personal decisions based on race.

For a personal story...for our restaurant, we are actually trying to train 2 black dudes for management, and our store consists of 80% black employees. I'm white. How do you explain that, since whites are just so racist? The bottom line is that these two are the most qualified of the rest of the employees for this specific position. It has nothing to do with race. BOTTOM LINE.

I don't give a rat's ass about the historic struggles of black folks, honestly, b/c they have no bearing on today. The past is the past and most of us have moved on now. I suggest you do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I wonder how often black people actually play the race card and how often it's just white people feeling guilty and projecting their feelings onto other people.
Judging from the number of people who scream about how people who dislike Obama are just racists, I would say the race card is definitely being played and has nothing to do with whites feeling guilty. That's just one example. What would we have to feel guilty about, anyway?

Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think that's it to a large extent--it's all supposed to be swept under the rug like it never happened, or it all happened a long time ago and it doesn't now, and if anyone brings it up in any context, it's "playing the race card." It's very defensive.
No one wants it to be swept under the rug, but why do we need to keep rehashing the past? Every group has been discriminated against in some way throughout history, but do we really need to bring it up every time we interact with the group of people who did the discriminating decades ago? THAT is defensive.

There is a value to knowing history, but we don't need to dwell on it. Everyone needs to move on and move forward. How do you expect us to progress as a species if we're still hung up on things that happened 150 years ago, like slavery?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think you're really reaching here. There are plenty of people on POC who can't write to save their life. I get annoyed when ANYONE plays grammar police--it's patronizing and rude. As long as they can get out a coherent thought, who cares? That goes for radical right wingers or the far left. You're making this into a racial thing and it's not pretty. Please.

I agree, and I certainly include myself in this group of grammatically challenged posters on CD, but because I'm known to be white, I will receive a critique that blacks will not.

It's a classic anti-white double standard.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:17 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
"Why do white folks always get angry when minorities play the race card"

Because they are 100% innocent and believe all racism comes from non-whites.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,354,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And you know this how, exactly?

The NAACP threw a fit down in Georgia that schools wanted to have class on MLK Day to help make up for missed school days duing the storm.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Why do white folks always get angry when minorities play the race card
I don't know any "white folks" that don't like being called racists - can't imagine what you are talking about.

The real pity is that the term "racist" used to actually MEAN something, that's lost now. When we reached the point of the ridiculous, racism became another meaningless word instead of a very real admonition.

Here's a great example:

Quote:
What levels have we sank to as Americans that every time the word black or white is used to describe something it is suddenly racist? The latest moron to cry racism is a Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price, who said "black hole," "angel food cake," and "devil's food cake" are all racist.
Consider this - who is really damaged with the "race card"? Is it all the "white folks" who are called "racists" over stuff like cake and sheep? Those same "white folks" become resentful of the "race card".

Quote:
I cannot believe that we are debating the political correctness of these words. This is one of the reasons why it is nearly impossible to believe an individual who genuinely has been discriminated against. This is totally ridiculous and should be dismissed and treated as such.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I wonder how often black people actually play the race card and how often it's just white people feeling guilty and projecting their feelings onto other people.
I think it's just as fair to flip it around and ask how many times was something racism or discrimination and not something else.

An example comes to mind, I had just eaten a tremendous lunch and felt gross. A secretary who happens to be large (and black for that matter) comes in to give us some paperwork, she walks away. A nurse asks me why I look like hell and I stick me arms out to demonstrate how large I felt and the secretary comes back in. She starts crying because she thinks I'm talking about her when it was never the case. Her own insecurities already made up her mind what we were talking about. It had nothing to do with me and everything to do with her.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM

499 posts, read 405,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, I don't realize that. Because it doesn't happen far and wide like you claim. In my 27 years, living in a variety of places, including a hick town, I have NEVER seen black folks dealing with hate crimes, harassment or public displays of bigotry. EVER. Not once.

Please, gimme a break. You can read into anything and find racism, but that's b/c you are looking for it and not giving people the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure if a white guy got the same job you applied for and you were turned down, you would cry racism...it has nothing to do with the fact that perhaps the other guy was a better fit, and the employer wasn't even paying attention to race. Like I said, as much as you would like to think, white people are generally colorblind and do not make business or even personal decisions based on race.

For a personal story...for our restaurant, we are actually trying to train 2 black dudes for management, and our store consists of 80% black employees. I'm white. How do you explain that, since whites are just so racist? The bottom line is that these two are the most qualified of the rest of the employees for this specific position. It has nothing to do with race. BOTTOM LINE.

I don't give a rat's ass about the historic struggles of black folks, honestly, b/c they have no bearing on today. The past is the past and most of us have moved on now. I suggest you do the same.

This may be true for you, but if it were true across the board then by default there would be no racism nowadays. Ever. At all. This is just an ignorant statement from that point of view.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:38 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollymixture View Post
This may be true for you, but if it were true across the board then by default there would be no racism nowadays. Ever. At all. This is just an ignorant statement from that point of view.

Lots more of that where that came from............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies