Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
What a silly thing to say. If our society was "beyond" such an issue. It wouldn't constantly be thrown up in our faces, every single day of our lives.

Our society isn't "beyond" the issue of race, and special priviledges, actual and perceived, exist. And will continue to exist. Because man himself is not perfect. Man is tribal. Man separates himself on more than just race.

Hell, you can see the nature of tribalism in professional sports. Why else do you think you are rooting for your home team? Especially since the majority of them probably aren't even from your home state.

To pretend that racism, bigotry, discrimination, sexism, and xenophobia can ever be "gotten rid of" is downright foolish. If there are differences between men, then man will separate themselves by these differences. It has worked the exact same way for thousands and thousands of years.

There have already been studies done that show that something like 96% of all humans show racial bias. Though less than 10% will admit to it. And the videos like "what would you do", should give you some insight to this contradiction.

So don't look at some poll asking people if they are accepting of interracial relationships, or polls asking if they are racist, or polls asking any questions about race. People are a bunch of liars, who answer questions based on what people expect them to say, not how they actually feel.

People might treat you nicely to your face, then behind your back immediately make derogatory comments. The politically correct movement has done nothing to change America, it has simply pushed everything underground. Because trying to stop racism is as futile as trying to stop premarital sex, or trying to "turn gays straight", or some other silly crap.

You might be able to cover it up, keep it behind closed doors, maybe even limit it to a small extent. But you cannot end it, because you cannot stop its source. Its source is biological, its source is human.

I always find it silly that Malcolm X went to the middle-east, then suddenly reversed his view on black separatism. Did he really not see any racism in the middle-east?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oUvT0fBUmQ&NR=1

It is everywhere, from Yemen to Lebanon to Iraq to Iran to north Africa, and especially in Israel. And that doesn't even attempt to look at the ethnic and religious prejudice that exists there. It is unfixable.
I agree with everything you said up until the part you said racism is unfixable and unstoppable. I think it is fixable and stoppable--but we have to go MUCH deeper. We have to be honest with ourselves and others. Right now we're not doing that and that's what's keeping us from moving forward.

If you and I and everyone in this thread can openly admit you've had a racist thought, made a racist assumption before, then you and I and everyone can do something to reprogram our thinking. But it takes a consciousness that most people don't have because they're too scared, so they'd rather stay comfortably nestled in unconsciousness.

Be willing to feel your own fear, be willing to hate yourself for a bit. Ask yourself why you tense up if you sit in the back of the bus with a bunch of rowdy black kids. Ask yourself why you second-guessed the black applicant's qualifications. Ask yourself why you find yourself gravitating towards other members of your own race at lunch break.

When I first started realizing all the racist thoughts and assumptions I had, I really hated myself for a long time. But it took that to get to where I am today, where I can see my own white privilege, where I can catch a racist thought if I have one. I have been racist. I have had racist thoughts. You have too. We all have. Everyone of every color has racist thoughts, and because of the history of our country, the bulk of those thoughts are working against black folks, even in the black community. If you're black, ask yourself why you hate your hair so much. Ask yourself why you've always wanted to have lighter skin. If you're light-skinned, ask yourself why you let people mistake you for white. These are all sentiments that are common within the black community.

Being able to admit you're racist can be scary because you don't want others to jump on you like vultures, but we all are racist. It's in the air we breathe. That's why we need to create an environment where we feel safe enough to address those feelings. If we can address our racist thoughts and feelings, we can move past them.

It also helps to look at it as a group phenomenon. It's a mind virus. So it's not your fault or my fault that it's there, but it's your fault and my fault for letting it stay there. If we just take those steps we CAN stop and fix racism. We just have to be willing to go much deeper into ourselves. We have to be willing to feel vulnerable and uncomfortable and scared for a moment so that we can feel much lighter and freer in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,076,013 times
Do you want equality or don't you? You can't b*tch and moan about not being treated equal and then turn around and demand preferential treatment.

Affirmative action should be considered an insult and yet instead of being rewarded for any accomplishment, you prefer to be rewarded for simply being a minority.

Millions of whites voted for Obama because of various reasons, but blacks voted for him primarily because of his black skin - so who's more racist?

The race card is used as an excuse for whenever the outcome is against you - we're frankly sick of hearing it. Race warfare is being encouraged by this government and you're more than happy to play the victim.

I don't believe people (black or white,red or yellow) are "created equal" - after all people have different positives and negatives. Use the positives instead of playing off the negatives.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 12,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Firstly, we are writing posts on an internet forum, not post-graduate biomedical research papers. Secondly, there are posters on here from all races and backgrounds who use poor grammar. I'm not going to start listing names, but there are several "conservative" posters on here who consistently spell words incorrectly, use commas in the wrong spots, etc. So here we have a double-standard within a double-standard. Will it be fair to assume that you'll be critiquing the grammar of every other poster from now on?

Only if they whine about double standards while enjoying one of their own.

Can you show me a post in which a black poster used extremely poor grammar and was called out for it by a white poster who wasn't subsequently labeled a racist?

BTW, your post in defense of the OP's poor grammar confirms the double standard. It's always OK for a black person to use poor grammar.

Shall I bring up the numerous threads about misspelled Tea Party protest signs in which grammatically challenged blacks joined right in to mock the inbred rednecks who can't spell simple words?

The issue isn't grammar; it's a double-standard that blacks enjoy even while complaining about those they feel are disadvantageous.
you're talking about "aave"/"black english"/"ebonics"/whatever when you say "poor grammar", right? because most linguists will tell you that there's nothing grammatically wrong with aave. aave is a formally recognized dialect of american english and it operates different grammar rules than standard american english does. granted, a lot of rules remain the same (like capitalization rules), but there are subtle differences. sort of like how modern english operates under a different set of grammar rules than say, old english (beowulf) or early modern english (the bible, shakespeare, etc.) does. just because it's the dialect of english you speak, doesn't mean that standard american english is any more proper or correct than aave is.

read this: http://www.stanford.edu/~zwicky/aave-is-not-se-with-mistakes.pdf

and anyway, spelling =/= grammar. misspelling "constitution" or "official" isn't even close to the same thing as talking in aave.

if you're just talking about people that speak in standard american english and have bad grammar, then i really don't see how your point applies to black people. wouldn't it just apply to anyone who calls out somebody else for bad spelling/grammar when theirs isn't perfect either? can you show me a post where a black person was speaking in standard american english and had terrible grammar/spelling, was called out by a white person, and the white person was in turn labelled a racist for it? can you show me a post where that same black person critiqued someone else's grammar and/or spelling?

also, you say that black people "enjoy double standards while calling out ones that don't benefit them." you could say the same for yourself. you point out double standards that don't advantage you, while still enjoying the same double standards that black people call out for being disadvantageous to them.

i don't disagree that black people point out double standards they don't like and don't mention the ones they do like, but at the same time white people do that too. its something that people of all races do.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:43 AM

711 posts, read 1,144,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
Millions of whites voted for Obama because of various reasons, but blacks voted for him primarily because of his black skin - so who's more racist?
False.

Blacks has voted democrat for a few years. This is not the first time that 90% of blacks vote for a democratic candidate. We did this with Kerry and Clinton. Plus, 78% of Hispanic voted for Obama too and many whites. It's clear that the GOP isn't attracting minorities to their party. They have a history of being racist towards minorities. Why would I vote a political party that is racist towards me and others? I heard a few blacks, Latinos, Asians, & etc did voted for McCain because they were thinking about their pockets instead of looking at the whole picture and a better America for all, not just the rich.

Last edited by Clyde81; 01-17-2011 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Here is a question for you. You are the youngest of five siblings. Your older brothers and sisters have always had conduit problems in school. The first day of school the teacher looks at you and says, "Oh no, not another Smith kid, every one of your brothers and sisters were in my class."

Needless to say you don't feel a warm welcome. Would you blame the teacher? How about your brothers and sisters, who have paved the way for you? If your teacher didn't have prior negative experiences with the Smith kids, she would have no reason to give you a less than warm welcome.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
I don't think that's a fair assessment, there are several threads in which she attacks Asian males and females. She simply doesn't like anything that isn't white, and as a poster in another thread stated, she is the resident white-washed Asian. It's a textbook example of an inferiority complex...
While I agree with your assessment of the poster (whitewashed, inferiority complex), she saves a special place in her twisted, vitriolic opinions for black men specifically. I've seen enough of her hateful posts to have evidence of that......

Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Hey, I just wanted to know why prinessdanika99 considers white females especially racist... and I bring up the dating aspect since it's the only difference between how blacks might complain about another race while distinguishing between the sexes. With white men, the hate is about not having work opportunities (the oft repeated phrase "the white man keeping them down), with white women it's about being denied the opportunity to have sex with them. As to my own dating preferences, I just don't find black men sexually attractive. And I hate ghetto culture, and right now, there are more ghetto culture blacks than middle and upper class blacks. And most blacks are strongly religious, whether it's being Christian or Muslim, and I am an atheist. And they want kids, and I don't.

As to my being Chinese... there are no Chinese people (or Japanese or Koreans) who are sympathetic to the black race card, and they don't care about having a MLK Jr. Day either. When Obama became president, we didn't feel different inside (I was asked that by a white person just after watching his inauguration on tv). We just don't feel like an oppressed minority in the US. Putting effort into our academic skills and our careers, and valuing family ties and showing respect to our elders is how we've succeeded in America. I've only encountered one Chinese baby daddy in my life, and his baby momma was a black woman. I've never known any Chinese to be on welfare, but I've known scores of Chinese holding down two jobs and the older ones owning their own homes and even apartment buildings.

Why I am not attracted to Asian males? I've spent my whole life in the US and my diet is very Westernized. My eight is 5'7" And culturally I was raised in a white middle class suburb. So... I find that most Asian males are shorter and much slighter in physical build compared to me. It is rare to find a tall Asian male with a medium build. Secondly, in a traditional Asian household, a daughter-in-law would be expected to defer and take care of her husband's parents. His parents would either live very close-by or even in the same dwelling, and that's just too close for me. And also, culturally, traditional Asian societies are very male chauvinistic and I am a decided feminist. Then most Asian males and their families want children, especially sons... and I've never ever wanted to have children. So to avoid any future conflict and disappointments I just don't date any men who are religious, who want kids and who don't come from the same background as I do (middle class, college educated, being atheist).

And I'm not interested in dating white men who are religious, non-college educate and/or who want to have children. When I was much younger, I did have several boyfriends without a college education, and after the infatuation wore off, we just weren't very compatible in what activities we enjoyed doing.

Lastly, very few Asian and black men have ever been interested in dating me, let alone marrying me. When I am single, I'm not active in the dating scene trying to meet single men. I don't go out to bars and clubs dressed up to attract male attention and then rejecting Asian and black offers to date. So I've never broken any Asian or black hearts. However, educated white men seem to really enjoy my company for friendship, being a co-worker, and dating. So my dating preferences are really a non-issue here.

The world is thankful.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:13 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why I am not attracted to Asian males? I've spent my whole life in the US and my diet is very Westernized. My eight is 5'7" And culturally I was raised in a white middle class suburb. So... I find that most Asian males are shorter and much slighter in physical build compared to me. It is rare to find a tall Asian male with a medium build. Secondly, in a traditional Asian household, a daughter-in-law would be expected to defer and take care of her husband's parents. His parents would either live very close-by or even in the same dwelling, and that's just too close for me. And also, culturally, traditional Asian societies are very male chauvinistic and I am a decided feminist. Then most Asian males and their families want children, especially sons... and I've never ever wanted to have children. So to avoid any future conflict and disappointments I just don't date any men who are religious, who want kids and who don't come from the same background as I do (middle class, college educated, being atheist).
"Their French might be exquisite and more eloquent than that of their colonial masters, their European suits of impeccable cut and quality, and their manners charming; but, try as they may, they will never be white Europeans."

Frantz Fanon (1925-1961)

The context of his quote was during colonial times, but as you have showcased, is still applicable in many modern day scenarios. You are not white, get over it.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 AM

168 posts, read 308,106 times
Maybe we should start an organization that gives college scholarships only to white people. Then we can start having events based completely around being white and proud of it. And we'll stop black males from entering our white expo for their own safety the same way it happens at "Black Expo" every year. We'll also get drunk and destroy hotel room costing them more money than the security deposit could ever cover. And when our "White Expo" gets bad press every year from fights, shootings, and robberies, we'll talk about how we're doing a ton of good for our community so the city should welcome us back for the next year.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
Maybe we should start an organization that gives college scholarships only to white people. Then we can start having events based completely around being white and proud of it. And we'll stop black males from entering our white expo for their own safety the same way it happens at "Black Expo" every year. We'll also get drunk and destroy hotel room costing them more money than the security deposit could ever cover. And when our "White Expo" gets bad press every year from fights, shootings, and robberies, we'll talk about how we're doing a ton of good for our community so the city should welcome us back for the next year.
This has already been happening since the beginning of American history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies