Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 01:09 AM

711 posts, read 1,144,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
You don't have a clue of the extent of racism in this country. What's really annoying is that every effort to educate people like you of the reality of the breadth and depth of racism is met with denial based on some nebulous idea in your own mind that "it just ain't that bad".

I'm going to go out on a limb and presume, based on your posts, that you're white. As a white person, really, how the hell would you have any idea what black people deal with on a day to day basis?? You are limited to what black-white interaction you observe. You can only look at these interactions from a white paradigm. You may work with a few black people, or you may not. Based on your posts, it is easily inferred that your interaction with blacks is somewhat superficial (work acquaintances, neighbors in passing), and / or limited (live or work around a few black people, perhaps a closer acquaintence with one or two). As a white person, it is highly unlikely that you would even be aware of a lot of the things that black people have to deal with in white society on a daily basis, performing routine activities like going to the store, buying gasoline, interfacing with businesses and representatives of institutions. Your paradigm blinds you to that. Unless you have actually been educated (trained) to recognize that life in this country is based on a white paradigm and what the really means, you are unable to analyze a situation from any other perspective. As a black person living in a white America for the last 53 years, I, and others like me, have learned to see things from a white paradigm because that's the world we live in, and from a black paradigm because that's the skin we live in. You don't have the task of having to look at things from a dual perspective and then trying to analyze whether that last slight was accidental, incidental, or racially motivated.

The skin we're in plays a significant role in how we are treated. Why?....because that is the first thing that people see when they see us. Don't give me that crap about "I don't see color". One has to deny the existence of my color to treat me like any one else?? Seeing my color is an obstacle to that?? There are those who would call this victimology. It's only victimology if you allow it to get in the way of what you are doing or trying to accomplish. Otherwise, it's regarded as something that most white people who do this don't want to acknowledge about themselves. There are studies that prove this out. It is an insult to one's common sense to say that one can see a black person and not at least inwardly acknowledge that they are black. Consciously or unconsciously there are assumptions made solely on that fact.

We are judged before we exhibit any type of behavior. Nimchimpski provided several examples of exactly that happening. Being married to a black woman has given him a window into seeing the world from a black perspective. He is a part of her day to day existence, and therefore has had a significant exposure to ...participation in...a black paradigm of life in this country.

These links will connect you to some short reads. One is only a couple of paragraphs, the others are no more than a page or three.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6456765.stm
http://www.gibbsmagazine.com/Legacy%20of%20slavery.htm
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4i3088.html

Read them at your leisure, but read them. I'm curious as to the true basis for your denial of the reality of the situation. Do you have any links that substantiate your position?
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:28 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,241,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
I don't think that's a fair assessment, there are several threads in which she attacks Asian males and females. She simply doesn't like anything that isn't white, and as a poster in another thread stated, she is the resident white-washed Asian. It's a textbook example of an inferiority complex...
Actually, that's one of her "kinder" posts vis-a-vis black men. Her history is downright appalling.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
There has always been racism and discrimination that favored white people and there still is whether people accept it or not. I'm sure there are some minorities that bring up race to manipulate people just as well when race really had nothing to do with something. Both situations exist.
Exactly. Some people (of all ethnic groups) play the race card, but that doesn't negate the fact that racism/bigotry DOES still exist. As a Jewish white person, I've had the advantage of playing "undercover agent," since I'm technically white even though I belong to an often-hated minority group... people usually assume I'm Irish or Scottish, due to the fact that I have bright red hair & freckles. So I can't even tell you how many times I've overheard anti-Semitic comments, when the person didn't even realize a Jew was right beside them. It's always fun to break the news, LOL. Therefore I see both sides of this issue, and what you said above is definitely the conclusion I've drawn over the years.

Speaking of which, I'd recommend reading the following stories - "Passing" by Langston Hughes and "Black Like Me" by John Howard Griffin. Both are very eye-opening, and touch on the same subject from opposite perspectives. The story by Langston Hughes is part of a collection called "The Ways of White Folks," which is among my favorite books ever... and coming from a librarian, that should say a lot. These stories were written a long time ago, but the messages and themes are still relevant today.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-17-2011 at 03:22 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Btw, do any of you remember when Tyra Banks did social "trading places" experiments on her talk show? I think a few people here (actually everyone) would benefit from such a thing... she even had a black woman dress in a Burka for a day, and boy were her eyes opened.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I see it all the time, in sports, entertainment and of course when I wake up. Whenever a black man plays the race card, you call him bitter, angry, or they should just be quiet and do what they are supposed to do.

Yet when a white person complains there counterparts usually follow up to correct the error. Or they are portrayed in a positive way. If a black man complains, it means he is a party pooper, an angry black man etc;.

It is almost like a double standard and it shows we truly not created equal. Race is a factor in everything and I don't understand why most white people try to disguise it like it is not happening or just turning a blind side.
We as a society have been way beyond this argument for what seems to be forever now

Old 01-17-2011, 05:48 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
[quote=africanboy;17439116]Firstly, we are writing posts on an internet forum, not post-graduate biomedical research papers. Secondly, there are posters on here from all races and backgrounds who use poor grammar. I'm not going to start listing names, but there are several "conservative" posters on here who consistently spell words incorrectly, use commas in the wrong spots, etc. So here we have a double-standard within a double-standard. Will it be fair to assume that you'll be critiquing the grammar of every other poster from now on?

Only if they whine about double standards while enjoying one of their own.

Can you show me a post in which a black poster used extremely poor grammar and was called out for it by a white poster who wasn't subsequently labeled a racist?

BTW, your post in defense of the OP's poor grammar confirms the double standard. It's always OK for a black person to use poor grammar.

Shall I bring up the numerous threads about misspelled Tea Party protest signs in which grammatically challenged blacks joined right in to mock the inbred rednecks who can't spell simple words?

The issue isn't grammar; it's a double-standard that blacks enjoy even while complaining about those they feel are disadvantageous.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:15 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Dang... that's harsh. I'm a white (Jewish) woman in the USA, and I've dated more black men than white. And guess who treated me better overall? The black guys!! But I don't consider race when choosing a date, I only consider the man himself - you might want to do the same.
Hey, I just wanted to know why prinessdanika99 considers white females especially racist... and I bring up the dating aspect since it's the only difference between how blacks might complain about another race while distinguishing between the sexes. With white men, the hate is about not having work opportunities (the oft repeated phrase "the white man keeping them down), with white women it's about being denied the opportunity to have sex with them. As to my own dating preferences, I just don't find black men sexually attractive. And I hate ghetto culture, and right now, there are more ghetto culture blacks than middle and upper class blacks. And most blacks are strongly religious, whether it's being Christian or Muslim, and I am an atheist. And they want kids, and I don't.

As to my being Chinese... there are no Chinese people (or Japanese or Koreans) who are sympathetic to the black race card, and they don't care about having a MLK Jr. Day either. When Obama became president, we didn't feel different inside (I was asked that by a white person just after watching his inauguration on tv). We just don't feel like an oppressed minority in the US. Putting effort into our academic skills and our careers, and valuing family ties and showing respect to our elders is how we've succeeded in America. I've only encountered one Chinese baby daddy in my life, and his baby momma was a black woman. I've never known any Chinese to be on welfare, but I've known scores of Chinese holding down two jobs and the older ones owning their own homes and even apartment buildings.

Why I am not attracted to Asian males? I've spent my whole life in the US and my diet is very Westernized. My eight is 5'7" And culturally I was raised in a white middle class suburb. So... I find that most Asian males are shorter and much slighter in physical build compared to me. It is rare to find a tall Asian male with a medium build. Secondly, in a traditional Asian household, a daughter-in-law would be expected to defer and take care of her husband's parents. His parents would either live very close-by or even in the same dwelling, and that's just too close for me. And also, culturally, traditional Asian societies are very male chauvinistic and I am a decided feminist. Then most Asian males and their families want children, especially sons... and I've never ever wanted to have children. So to avoid any future conflict and disappointments I just don't date any men who are religious, who want kids and who don't come from the same background as I do (middle class, college educated, being atheist).

And I'm not interested in dating white men who are religious, non-college educate and/or who want to have children. When I was much younger, I did have several boyfriends without a college education, and after the infatuation wore off, we just weren't very compatible in what activities we enjoyed doing.

Lastly, very few Asian and black men have ever been interested in dating me, let alone marrying me. When I am single, I'm not active in the dating scene trying to meet single men. I don't go out to bars and clubs dressed up to attract male attention and then rejecting Asian and black offers to date. So I've never broken any Asian or black hearts. However, educated white men seem to really enjoy my company for friendship, being a co-worker, and dating. So my dating preferences are really a non-issue here.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl-r View Post
We as a society have been way beyond this argument for what seems to be forever now
What a silly thing to say. If our society was "beyond" such an issue. It wouldn't constantly be thrown up in our faces, every single day of our lives.

Our society isn't "beyond" the issue of race, and special priviledges, actual and perceived, exist. And will continue to exist. Because man himself is not perfect. Man is tribal. Man separates himself on more than just race.

Hell, you can see the nature of tribalism in professional sports. Why else do you think you are rooting for your home team? Especially since the majority of them probably aren't even from your home state.

To pretend that racism, bigotry, discrimination, sexism, and xenophobia can ever be "gotten rid of" is downright foolish. If there are differences between men, then man will separate themselves by these differences. It has worked the exact same way for thousands and thousands of years.

There have already been studies done that show that something like 96% of all humans show racial bias. Though less than 10% will admit to it. And the videos like "what would you do", should give you some insight to this contradiction.

So don't look at some poll asking people if they are accepting of interracial relationships, or polls asking if they are racist, or polls asking any questions about race. People are a bunch of liars, who answer questions based on what people expect them to say, not how they actually feel.

People might treat you nicely to your face, then behind your back immediately make derogatory comments. The politically correct movement has done nothing to change America, it has simply pushed everything underground. Because trying to stop racism is as futile as trying to stop premarital sex, or trying to "turn gays straight", or some other silly crap.

You might be able to cover it up, keep it behind closed doors, maybe even limit it to a small extent. But you cannot end it, because you cannot stop its source. Its source is biological, its source is human.

I always find it silly that Malcolm X went to the middle-east, then suddenly reversed his view on black separatism. Did he really not see any racism in the middle-east?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oUvT0fBUmQ&NR=1

It is everywhere, from Yemen to Lebanon to Iraq to Iran to north Africa, and especially in Israel. And that doesn't even attempt to look at the ethnic and religious prejudice that exists there. It is unfixable.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,655 times
Because the "race card" is getting old.
Get up and do something. Please leave us alone. We have our own problems.
I am so sick of this race card that is shoved down our throats constantly when we have no problem with you at all.
It is you that have a problem with us.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
I took the test for MTA way back in the day, I was the first person to leave the classroom, I scored a 92 on the test...... I was never called.

Could it be because I have a very ethnic Greek last name ???????

I swear the next time I ever have to apply for something or fill out something I am going to check the box black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies