Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sorry Roy but it is obvious that you agree with his post of LIES that everyone left of the far right is a supporter of radical Islam so I will not discuss the issue with you, for old times sake. He has said it to several people today and made a blanket statement to cover the rest, enough said. Nor can I dicuss any future LIES he spews here since I can no longer see them since he is now on ignore and will remain there.
Casper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,849,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that ElBaradei's Nobel Peace award was about as much earned as Obama's was.
He seems like a worthy prize winner to me. Perhaps even a future leader of a reformed Egypt.

Press Release - Nobel Peace Prize 2005

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2005 is to be shared, in two equal parts, between the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and its Director General, Mohamed ElBaradei, for their efforts to prevent nuclear energy from being used for military purposes and to ensure that nuclear energy for peaceful purposes is used in the safest possible way.
At a time when the threat of nuclear arms is again increasing, the Norwegian Nobel Committee wishes to underline that this threat must be met through the broadest possible international cooperation. This principle finds its clearest expression today in the work of the IAEA and its Director General. In the nuclear non-proliferation regime, it is the IAEA which controls that nuclear energy is not misused for military purposes, and the Director General has stood out as an unafraid advocate of new measures to strengthen that regime. At a time when disarmament efforts appear deadlocked, when there is a danger that nuclear arms will spread both to states and to terrorist groups, and when nuclear power again appears to be playing an increasingly significant role, IAEA's work is of incalculable importance.
In his will, Alfred Nobel wrote that the Peace Prize should, among other criteria, be awarded to whoever had done most for the "abolition or reduction of standing armies". In its application of this criterion in recent decades, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has concentrated on the struggle to diminish the significance of nuclear arms in international politics, with a view to their abolition. That the world has achieved little in this respect makes active opposition to nuclear arms all the more important today.
Oslo, 7 October 2005

Mohamed ElBaradei - Nobel Lecture

Imagine what would happen if the nations of the world spent as much on development as on building the machines of war. Imagine a world where every human being would live in freedom and dignity. Imagine a world in which we would shed the same tears when a child dies in Darfur or Vancouver. Imagine a world where we would settle our differences through diplomacy and dialogue and not through bombs or bullets. Imagine if the only nuclear weapons remaining were the relics in our museums. Imagine the legacy we could leave to our children.

Imagine that such a world is within our grasp.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,526,024 times
Quote:
What do you think about the counter-revolution in Egypt that started after you posted your post? That would be the part of it that turned it all bloody and very violent. You know, or will soon, that the supporters of Mubarak rode into the square on horses and camels hacking and whacking away and got pulled down and beat to hell, themselves. Yep, the demonstrations are no longer peaceful with screaming, signs,and shaking of fists. Now the two sides are trying to burn each other up with Molotov Cocktails.

BTW, those people don't know anything about democracy.
I don't think you understand. This is not about what you think or what you. This revolution is theirs and whatever you think about it is irrelevant. It will unfold the way they want it.

To claim that they don't know anything about democracy is arrogant and I'd wager that they understand the grasp its concepts better than you because you seem to believe you have a say in what people do in OTHER countries.

Try not to act like your typical nosy american. Just mind your own business.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
It is obvious why you aren't watching Beck. My answer to your question.
I actually watched his latest segment on a blog. It had so much crazy, I couldn't believe this guy is still on the air.

He went around his black board, 'predicting' where major powers would take over, as if the world is a simple game of Risk. It was quite funny.

No wonder this guy was diagnosed with ADHD.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Beck's attempt to link the protests to the form of Social Justice that Beck has previously demonized as being associated with Nazism and Communism.

Read more: Who's Afraid of the Muslim Brotherhood? - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/glenn-beck/transcript/whos-afraid-muslim-brotherhood#ixzz1CpARGbJp - broken link)

[Glenn Beck speaking] As the press continues to report on all the pro-democracy efforts by this group, a phrase is being used in the context of this conflict that jumped out at me. You heard it several times. And quite honestly, it's a word that -- it's two words that I warned you about because there's two meanings to the world.
There's the really happy, Jesus wants me to go help people. Allah wants me to go help people.
And then there is the caliphate or the totalitarian government that says, no, no, I'm telling you to help people it's called social justice. Look.
(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
MOHAMED ELBARADEI, EGYPTIAN OPPOSITION LEADER: They have to listen to the people. Listen to them quickly. A new Egypt that is democratic, that's based on social justice.
Depend the rights of the Egyptian for their universal values, freedom, dignity, social justice.
Legitimate needs for democracy and social justice.
(END VIDEO CLIP)
BECK: OK. Mubarak just said it an hour ago. He'll be gone in September, but he -- until then, he will be making sure there is social justice.
Be careful. It could be used for good, but it also is used to mask an agenda. Why would anybody claim that anyone is masking an agenda? I don't know. Read Van Jones' groups words. That's what they do. That's what they have to do.
Read "The Coming Insurrection." That's what they say they have to do, mask.

And linking the protests to Bill Ayers, the Weather Underground and Piven (ie in his thinking; linking them to Progressives).

Friday, this, was called the "day of rage." Because I have read all about the Marxist and the revolutionaries in America, I recognize the "day of rage." Where have I heard that before?
Oh, yes, that's right. We heard it before in the 1960s with Bill Ayers and the Weather Underground. That's when they had the violent student riots in the 1960s. That was the day of rage.
Weather Underground talks about it in the Weather Underground's works. Huh, coincidence?
By the way, day of rage -- wasn't Frances Fox Piven recently just saying, where is the rage? Where is the outrage? Where is the anger? You've got get on the street and have riots and embrace your anger.
BECK: There's a question I'm guessing no one will ever ask. Why were Bernadine Dohrn and Bill Ayers terrorists in the Weather Underground? And Code Pink founder Jodie Evans involved with the Muslim Brotherhood during in the Gaza flotilla.
Ayers and Dohrn organized an effort to bring political pressure to bear on the Mubarak regime and Israel to allow for the aid from Hamas, which is the Muslim Brotherhood, to be delivered through Egyptian checkpoints.
Remember Ayers and Dohrn participated in the Weather Underground, 1969 days of rage in Chicago. Last Friday's rioting in Egypt was dubbed by the Muslim Brotherhood "days of rage." What a coincidence.
Remember when we talked about that flotilla how tense the world was? Evans and Code Pink lobbied Mubarak's wife for assistance as well as U.S. embassy in Cairo. Guess who else was strong supporter of the flotilla?
The Muslim Brotherhood. Code Pink seems pretty darn cozy with the Muslim Brotherhood. Can you imagine a terrorist organization - can you imagine if any of us were cozy with Hamas?

Let be engage in some Beckian Logic. MB is anti-Mubarak. Glenn Beck is anti-Mubarak. Therefore Glenn Beck is working for the goals the MB.

And then this Gem where he insinuated that STORM was involved in terrorist acts.

Just the necessary ingredients on the way to a caliphate. We have religious zealots who have made it their goal to take down - according to their own documents and their words - to take down the western way of life coupled with American leftists who have made it their mission their whole life to take down the western way of life.
Some are terrorists [visually referencing the MB document]. And some are terrorists[visually referencing the STORM document]. Some are just really good at business and propaganda. They both speak the same language and they both have the same goal, not a caliphate, but control. Revolution and control.

I don't have access to the complete transcript, but I have seen the last 2 days of shows (Mon, Tues). Most of it is Beck engaging in MB fear mongering and propaganda attacks against his favorite targets.

Part of Beck's discussion of the Caliphate involved Sharia law. If Sharia law is so dangerous, why does Israel allow it to be practiced within Israel? Israel's current way of handling religous laws and courts have their origin in the pratice established when the Ottaman Empire ruled the area.
Can you tell me why Dorhn and Ayers along with Code Pink were so heavily involved in the attempts to break the Israeli blockade? Yes, I think it was their progressive beliefs but then I came to that kind of thinking before I heard Beck talk about it.

Hey, since you caught Beck the last two days maybe you could come up with some of the answers to my question since he will be doing the progressives today.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No, it's not. If Beck were Jewish, would you have said, "Is it part of Judaism to be an arrogant sh)thead?"
If Beck were Jewish, he would not have reached his star status by blaming jews.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Again,WHY is it being debated?

There can be NO debate,what Beck said is true.

Seems people simply are arguing because of who said it rather than the actual topic.

But then that is normal....
Ok. I mean frankly, i don't care about who said it.

I'm just trying to understand why it's a big deal....as if people didn't know this in the first place. Or at least didn't suspect as much.

I don't see any need in worrying about it because this situation is beyond our control (Thank God). We're in such a position that we just have to deal with whoever the Egyptian people choose. That's the way it should be anyway. If we don't like what they choose, then it's just too bad.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Show me the proof that they are lies. You can't, because it is true. How many times a week do you attend your meetings to get your marching orders of how to provide cover on the multiple talking points? Do they tell you specifically what to say to provide cover for certain things? I bet they do, because all of you supporters have the same angle of attack.
Some people don't see a reason for supporting things, just their words. However, many of those don't like to read the opinions of others.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The violence is between the democracy supporters (original rioters) and the supporters of Mubarak. What is your point?

Hey, I heard a joke: The good news is that Egypt's president Hosni Mubarak is stepping down. The bad news is that his son, Hosni "W" Mubarak, is taking over. hehehehee
Humorous joke. At least I chuckled, but then I am not so biased as many on both sides.

I was merely speaking to the fact that those peaceful, fist swinging riots had turned violent. The way I heard it both sides were throwing fire bombs (Molotov cocktails) at each others and King Tut's museum was afire. I don't care who threw that bunch, it happened and they will lose much of their museum history if it gets any more out of hand.

I think that too many of the rioters aren't supporters of democracy unless there is a bit of Muslim belief tied to their democracy. In the early days of those riots I kept hearing that they were largely students and the pictures seemed to show too many 40s and 50s people in the crowd.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, he has already said things which are not factual, and designed only to create fear. That's his bread and butter. I don't hate him for it, but it surprises me people swallow his stories without checking the facts.

Yes, it is useful to know saying like "kaka de caballo" especially when talking about someone like Glenn Beck.
Dang it, Finn you know that you have to get your Beck info from left leaners and usually even the videos are twisted and out of context. You have to try it for real sometime. You have a DVR so the hour is not an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies