Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Indeed. The initial post was in a political vein. However, as history has shown on this forum, should a thread degrade into a Creation/Evolution debate, no matter how it starts out, the probability that the moderators move it to the religion/philosophy approaches 1. I thnk there is a law in that. Hmmm, Panterra's Law. Think it'll catch on?
Evolution, in this context spans a number of folders, Religion and Philosophy, Science and it most definitely is a political and controversial so I see no reason to move the thread.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Evolution, in this context spans a number of folders, Religion and Philosophy, Science and it most definitely is a political and controversial so I see no reason to move the thread.
I didn't comment on whether it should or should not, it is just a history of moderators' actions. Just saying... Even when the topic starts in "Great Debates" it get's moved. Of course, the moderators felt it necessary to move one of the greatest debates EVER from the Great Debates forum: Ginger or Mary Ann?

Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I didn't comment on whether it should or should not, it is just a history of moderators' actions. Just saying...
I've heard about that. I think it's called "Panterra's Law."

Old 02-09-2011, 03:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Here's is what the courts have had to say:

McLean v. Arkansas Board of Education
Read the U.S. District Court decision in which "balanced treatment" for creationism and evolution in Arkansas public school science classrooms was ruled unconstitutional.

McLean v. Arkansas Board of Education

Edwards v. Aguillard: U.S. Supreme Court Decision
Read the U.S. Supreme Court decision dealing with creationism in public school science classrooms. The majority opinions and the dissenting opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia are provided along with the amicus curiae brief filed by 72 Nobel Prize winning scientists.

Edwards v. Aguillard

Epperson v. Arkansas: U.S. Supreme Court Decision
Read the U.S. Supreme Court case which ruled unconstitutional Arkansas's law forbidding the teaching of evolution in state-supported schools.

Epperson v. Arkansas

Peloza v. Capistrano Unified School District
California public school teacher John Peloza sued his school district, claiming he should not be required to teach evolution or refrain from teaching about his religious beliefs. The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against him on the substantive portions of his claim.

Daniel v. Waters
Biology teachers, parents, and National Association of Biology Teachers sued in 1975 to overturn Tennessee's "balanced treatment" law. The U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals held that requiring creationism to be taught and requiring disclaimers about evolution violated the First Amendment. Also included is Steele v. Waters which the Tennessee Supreme Court agreed with the Sixth Circuit.

Daniel v. Waters

Selman v. Cobb County School District
The decision of the district court stricking down a Cobb County, Georgia requirement that a sticker with a disclaimer be placed on all textbooks that discuss evolution. The amicus curiae brief filed by several pro-science organizations is also included.

Selman v. Cobb County School District: Court Rules Against Evolution Disclaimer

Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District
Dover, Pennsylvania case which a judge ruled that intelligent design is creationism, is not science, and does not belong in science classes of public schools. Documents here include the decision of the court and the complete trial transcript.

Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District Intelligent Design case

Hendren v. Campbell
A 1977 decision of an Indiana superior court ruling against a textbook produced by the Creation Research Society. In some respects this case resembles a young-earth creationist version of the Kitzmiller case. Introductory material, links, as well as the full text of the judge's memorandum opinion are provided.

Hendren v. Campbell: Decision Against a Creationist Textbook

Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 PM

15,053 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And you are a jeweler supporting intelligent design. That doesn't make ID an engagement ring.

Of course. Why would you expect otherwise? Did you not read "The Wedge Strategy?"

ID deliberately conceals its religious purpose. Its "founder" is explicit on that issue. So it's up to the real scientists to expose the charade.

It's one thing to be ignorant. It's another to be ignorant 6 years after your pathetic arguments were decimated in an open court of law.
Four sentences ... four attempts at humor or insults ... ZERO content of a legitimate nature.

And the video posted that refutes the "motor" is a sophomoric slight of hand presentation.

"Oh lets take away 40 parts .... see what is left over is fully functional."

The inbuilt lie of omission here is that 20 of those parts taken away can not be found ANYWHERE else in the system ... totally unique to the motor, serving no other function. So the presenter is either totally ignorant of the topic, or he's related to you, and is lying his rear end off.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Four sentences ... four attempts at humor or insults ... ZERO content of a legitimate nature.

And the video posted that refutes the "motor" is a sophomoric slight of hand presentation.

"Oh lets take away 40 parts .... see what is left over is fully functional."

The inbuilt lie of omission here is that 20 of those parts taken away can not be found ANYWHERE else in the system ... totally unique to the motor, serving no other function. So the presenter is either totally ignorant of the topic, or he's related to you, and is lying his rear end off.
You don't know who that is? <chuckling>

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Your argument fails badly...Take away the tendon in you finger and it won't move..Irreducible complexity? Take away any part of the inner ear...You are deaf..Irreducible complexity? Remove your prostrate...Are you still a man...Irreducible complexity? Most of the bodies systems are the same...We need all of our parts to function properly and evolution has supplied these parts.

Behe’s contention that each and every piece of a machine, mechanical or biochemical, must be assembled in its final form before anything useful can emerge is just plain wrong. Evolution produces complex biochemical machines by copying, modifying, and combining proteins previously used for other functions. Looking for examples? The systems in Behe’s essay will do just fine.
Natural selection favors an organism’s parts for different functions.

He writes that in the absence of “almost any” of its parts, the bacterial flagellum “does not work.” But guess what? A small group of proteins from the flagellum does work without the rest of the machine — it’s used by many bacteria as a device for injecting poisons into other cells. Although the function performed by this small part when working alone is different, it nonetheless can be favored by natural selection.

Intelligent Design? (ActionBioscience)

Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM

15,053 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Self-explanatory, but well worth repeating. We're doomed.
Well, obviosuly you don't know what you are talking about, technically speaking. You just glom on to the convenient bits, and ignore the rest. I doubt it's even worth trying to correct you. Let's just briefly say: you seem to want to try on that sad ploy of denying that any speciation exists, or when it so obviously does, you just reduce it to "adaptation".

Just because you don't understand what I'm talking about, doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. But let's see if I can straighten you out, and get you up to 2nd gear here.

Firstly, I'm not trying to reduce anything ... whether "speciation" exists or doesn't exist is IRRELEVANT to the debate of Evolution Theory versus Intelligent Design theory. You see ... you have to have a species first, before it could "speciate". And that's really the issue here ... how did it all start ... not how life progressed, changed, adapted, survived or regressed.

Now, tell me ... given that "natural selection" is said to play a major role in the "evolutionary" process .... just how did natural selection play any role in the creation of life before that original organism (to which all other things are supposed to have evolved from) achieved the ability to reproduce? You see ... reproduction must be present BEFORE natural selection could possibly take part.

You see, the biggest flaw (but by far not the only one) in evolution theory comes in at the very beginning! What mutated to form the first form of life? You can't just start counting and theorizing, and justifying and creating elaborate connections after the appearance of replicating organisms which come equipped with complex DNA coded instructions. So explain to us, in evolutionary terms, how did the original lifeform to which all other life is based, come into existence?

I'm curious as to just how much BS you're willing to spread here by answering that question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Permanent, DNA-recorded changes due to the mechanisms of mutation are evolutionary in outcome. They may even be lethal; most are, but when wwe try things out a multi-wuintgrillion times over, the occasional positive change will take hold if it benefits the survival of that organism. Simple, huh?

Now that's funny ... most of these "evolutionary" mutations are lethal, but given quadrillion chances, an occasional positive change will take hold? Simple huh? YEAH ... simple ... simply one of the stupidest things posted thus far. Yeah baby ... we're losing $5 on each one of these widgets we're selling ... but we'll make it up in volume sales? What you just described is a formula for EXTINCTION! (or a pretty apt description of playing the Slots in Vegas .... which I promise you ... if you do it long enough, you will EVOLVE into a homeless person)

I think I've been overly generous with my time on this tripe filled post.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 PM

42 posts, read 35,649 times
k then why r der still apes?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 PM

421 posts, read 448,503 times
"Hahaha .... yes, we do need a little clarity here ... and the first place to start is the blatantly absurd claim that ID is not a scientific theory. The video I posted were scientists supporting intelligent design .... not theologians. "

You seem to mistake the concept of 'there are scientists who support ID' and 'ID is a scientific theory'. Let me give you an example of why this doesn't work. 'there were engineers who said the titanic couldn't sink' is not the same as saying 'the titanic was engineer in a way whereas it couldn't sink'.

"We also need to point out that it is the "evolutionists" who constantly associate ID with religion ... not those within the ID theory group. And though one could argue that ID poses certain religious implications, most of those arguments again come from evolutionists, while the ID scientists decry such associations."

Again not to hark back to the scientific processes. But you start with a hypothesis (evolution vs 'something directed it), and you add a mechanism (random mutation vs ??????). Then you see how well your theory explains the observable evidence , so evolution (fossils yes, moths selection in process yes good, vestigial limbs, yes makes sense)

Evidence of ID, remember this is positive evidence that there was a being that acted to interfere with development....erm...well, I mean there isn't any is there?

"The facts are ... evolution theory has far more in common with religion than does ID theory, and is every bit a "religion" unto itself. It's based on theories which are counter intuitive ... totally intolerant to competing argument ... and relies heavily on dogma. A better description of religion would be hard to find ... yet also defines evolution quite accurately."

As you've said, the glory of science is that there are scientists who believe a whole host of things. But brilliantly the process takes the vast vast evidence of evolution, from thousands of scientists, with a mechanism and high explanatory power, and weights it against a theory with no mechanism, and no positive evidence , and come out with evolution on top, dispute its a system above the individual.

"So, let's be clear ... ID scientists consider themselves and their theories to be scientifically based, and present strong scientific arguments against the more "faith based" theory of evolution, who's proponents are every bit as dogmatic as the most fundamentalist religious fanatic."

Again, the great thing about science is that it goes against the bias science of the few, to the theories which have far better explanatory power.

"Evolutionist - DNA (retroactive explanation, as DNA hadn't been discovered when Darwin formed his theory) but like everything else, it must have formed randomly, out of amino acids that joined to create proteins which then joined to create DNA just as the natural process of joining to create single cell organisms. Where did these amino acids and proteins get there instructions? Evolutionists can't say .. unknown. "

But you don't need instructions do you? You just need a random selection of combination, and then one that works that thus is passed on. RNA is the obvious starting point for looking at this development. Look at prol cells would help you understand.

"Intelligent Design - ID cannot explain the existence of DNA either. Due to it's complexity both in language and storage mechanism, and it's ability to self replicate ... ID suggests that it cannot be explained by means of random or natural processes because of that complexity, and no example of random-natural processes has ever been observed to produce such sophisticated organization. The most reasonable hypothesis is therefore to consider it non-random. That's the true scientific method ... and quite valid ... if you cannot determine what something is ... you can begin the process of elimination by determining what something is not. And by any reasonable measure, DNA appears to contain very specific, intelligent design characteristics, of a level of sophistication that modern science cannot reproduce, even in the laboratory. "

To come to baseless assumptions based on assumptions is nothing to do with science. Where is the observable evidence of an intelligent designer? All you are saying is : 'I don't think this is possible, there I think there must be a designer. That's not positive evidence of ID, its a lack of imagination combined with a random assumption ( by which I mean 'magic' is just as good an assumption here as ID).

"Has ID ever been observed

Evolutionists - No. Never.

Intelligent Design - Yes, inside every human cell, a complex, sophisticated, well organized system is in operation which could be characterized as a self contained, microscopic factory. Many examples of the biological processes conducted by microscopic "machines" are constantly working to construct, maintain and repair cells. Bacteria demonstrates the classic features of intelligent design too ...such as the "flagellum motor" used by certain bacteria for propulsion: "

Lets be clear here, ID has been observed, therefore a designed has been seem to be crafting DNA to new forms in cells?

"This motor is constructed from proteins which form the various components of the motor ... some 40 separate parts which must be manufactured, and then must be assembled in precise order for the motor to function.

To the casual observer who isn't steeped in dogmatic ideological self delusion ... this motor exhibits every reasonable aspect of a mechanism that was "designed" to perform it's intended function, and unlikely to occur by the random mixing of amino acids or protein strands."

Again, your lack of imagination is hardly evidence for ID, its not difficult to see levels of use

Refuted Before it was Written: A Guide to Allen Orr's "Devolution" Article in <I>The New Yorker</I>

"And the answer depends on just how honest .. or how blindly ignorant and self delusional a person is who answers that question."

The question is do you believe in a processes that has positive evidence for it, or one that doesn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies