Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,762,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Then the median income would be far greater than what it is. What ever happened to stats?

Nothing happened to stats. People just don't have the desire to accumulate wealth and make the sacrifices needed to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM

182 posts, read 130,073 times
Rich people > You

Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,762,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It is extremely hard to become a self made millionaire or very wealthy. The vast majority of those who are very wealthy inherited, or married into it.

That is a total lie. Most who are wealthy worked their butts off to get there.

It's only a matter of desire. If you really want to be wealthy, you can get there.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM

182 posts, read 130,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That is a total lie. Most who are wealthy worked their butts off to get there.

It's only a matter of desire. If you really want to be wealthy, you can get there.
Agreed. Most people who aren't wealthy are too stupid or lazy to get there. It's very possible to be very rich in the united states. You just have to get off your ass and do it.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Pathetic victim mentality and false. If you've got proof of that, I'd love to see it. But you won't show us proof because it doesn't exist and wouldn't fit your pity party agenda.

I work with some of the wealthiest people in my town every day, and I can tell you that the vast majority of them (probably 85%) were NOT born into money.

If you think like a failure, you will be a failure. Just try not to be envious. It's not becoming.
While I may not have phrased it so harshly, I do agree... most people who say things like that are bitter, and it makes them feel better to assume wealth is inherited.

I'm not wealthy by any stretch (my father's money has little effect, as he hasn't supported me since high school), and guess what? It's mostly because I have no desire to work ridiculous hours & sell my soul to a corporation! Nor do I have the desire to run a company, aside from the small snake breeding & educational business I'm currently working on building - and nobody gets rich on that type of business, considering even the biggest facilities barely make ends meet.

I have the base for becoming wealthy, with advanced degrees and so forth, but my motivation is only to be happy... so I chose a fairly low-paying career in librarianship, because it's what I wanted to do. As long as I make enough to live on, that's good enough for me. Therefore you could say I've chosen not to be rich, and who knows what I could earn with the drive to succeed financially? Not interested, though, since I truly love what I do - even though I'm earning less than some people with lower educations. And having grown up around wealth, I also know for a FACT that it doesn't buy happiness (it was actually a major factor in the disintegration of my own family).

When people are on their death-beds, they rarely will say "I wish I'd spent more time at the office, and earned more money." Know what I mean?

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-09-2011 at 09:26 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,662,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Many people say hard working, intelligent people will become rich. Usually they use it defend the fact top 1% of people in US own most of wealth in the USA. However, the FACT is most hard working, smart people will not get rich.

There are about 50 million people (or 27% of the US population) with BA degree or above. I would assume most of these people are intelligent and hard working. However, there are only 7.9 millionaires in the US (about 2.5% of population), which means most of these hard working people are not rich. This doesn't even consider becoming super rich billionaires, there are only 403 billionaires of them in United States. Most intelligent, hard working people will find it impossible to join the ranks of the rich.

I would think the posters/people who keep on sayings smarts and hard work leads to riches are themselves intelligent and hard working. Question is how many of them, if any, are actually millionaires? I would guess only a very few!
You have a better chance being smart and hard working rather then dumb and lazy! Unless you inherit wealth or win the lottery in which case you could be a lazy moron!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,837,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Nothing happened to stats. People just don't have the desire to accumulate wealth and make the sacrifices needed to get there.
Okay. Here, in reality, it doesn't quite work like that. Otherwise the median income would be much higher. If you look at EVERY sociological study ever done on wealth you will see that most people born middle class stay middle class...class mobility is largely a myth.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,766 times
I'll take a crack at this.

A lot of people are intelligent and hard working, but might not want all that much money . More money brings more problems you know. Some folks just see the potential problems with having an obscene amount of money and go "F*** it, I'm good where I am".

Others have blinders on. They might be smart, they might be hard working, but they think that by toeing the company line they'll get somewhere. Listen up: Very, very few people will end up wealthy by having someone else sign their paycheques. Sure, you might get into a nice comfortable position with a corporation, you might make bank CEO, but it's rare.

Still more people have lots of money, but proceed to p*ss it down the drain faster than it can come in. The amount of debt some people carry is astounding.

A lot of the guys truly wealthy, learned the system and how to beat it. They had a new idea, or a great twist on an old one. Sometimes it merely takes street smarts, a willingness to take a chance, some wickedly good luck, good timing, connections, friends and networking - and yes, a little hard work.

Some are crooks and liars - it's wrong, but they're rich. They will prey on the stupid, and thank god every day for dumbass*s.

My old boss was a multi-millionaire, and he never finished high school. He just learned how to stay ahead of the curve.
It depends on what you want really. I've been poor, and I have had money. I would never want to be poor ever again. While it's true money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy you a ticket to happyland - it's your choice whether you want to use it.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,226,529 times
Prosperity is the creation, trade, transportation and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services.
Prosperity is the production of more, with less, so more can enjoy that production.
Prosperity is lost when creation, production, trade, transportation or enjoyment of goods and services is impaired or denied.
Prosperity is not measurable in a sum of money tokens, nor is it enhanced by stealing from one and giving to another.

Chasing after money is a form of money madness (http://www.ozmirage.org/anic/tiki-index.php?page=Money%20Madness - broken link).

Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,338,888 times
three ways to get rich
1. work hard get a decent education and hope you make it
2. the second way is to screw other people over for you own means so pretty much become a sell out
3. inheritance

best thing to do is get into a job/career you don't where you don't mind going to work everyday at.
it beats waking up and going to work somewhere you hate 5 days a week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies