Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 06:26 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,404,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Not true. So a person with a crack addict mom in Compton that lives on less than $10,000 a year can? What about the poor Appalachian that relies on food banks? Not anyone. Most can't.

It's very simple...people follow incentives. If you found the secret for success, I guarantee you millions of others did too. However, looking at the data...there is an entirely different picture.

Look, I'm not trying to be a downer, just rooted in reality.
My poverty is what gave me the drive.

Working three minimum wage jobs was all I needed.

I wanted money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
That's entirely true. Most of it is the lack of blue collar work that only requires an HS.

Wealth is not a factor of intelligence, otherwise we would expect nuclear physicists, geneticists, and a plethora of occupations to be the top of the financial food chain. They aren't.
What do all your examples have in common????

They are working for others......

Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,008,369 times
I learned math all the way up to college algebra and some finance too but I'm not very good a remembering all that junk!

What is worse is that the reading and comprehension levels in general are so poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well the current batch of HS graduates has a 5th grade reading average and even poorer in math.
Schools used to teach academics and vocational if one chose that route toward the end of HS.
Now you have social promotions and all are strongly encouraged to go to college.

The dumbing down of America...not too many potential millionaires I would say.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,839,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My poverty is what gave me the drive.

Working three minimum wage jobs was all I needed.

I wanted money.
You are not the norm. Why is that hard to believe? Also, I really am starting to doubt this story more and more...

Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You are not the norm. Why is that hard to believe? Also, I really am starting to doubt this story more and more...
Believe as you like of course.....

I will say not having children made a big difference.

When a female has a child they are forever dependent on someone eles.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:46 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,284,590 times
Successful people with only a high school degree may be the exception in relation to others with the same level of formal education but they are not that unknown in the entrepreneurial world. After all anyone going on to further formal education must pass that milestone. There are many ways to learn for the motivated.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:56 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,790,059 times
Quote:
That's NOT entirely true. Most of it is the lack of blue collar work that only requires an HS.

Wealth is not a factor of intelligence, otherwise we would expect nuclear physicists, geneticists, and a plethora of occupations to be the top of the financial food chain. They aren't.

Wealth is a factor of DESIRE.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Successful people with only a high school degree may be the exception in relation to others with the same level of formal education but they are not that unknown in the entrepreneurial world. After all anyone going on to further formal education must pass that milestone. There are many ways to learn for the motivated.
Most large companies were founded by people with higher than a college education. I'm saying that its quite disingenuous to say all one needs is an HS diploma and that the world is their oyster. The world is biased. This is not shocking news. It should be a meritocracy, but it's not. Those people you cite are the exceptions.

Most successful medium sized companies were founded by college grads.

Bill Gates came from a wealthy background as did Zuckerberg. They had many advantages over the majority of the population. For one, Zuckerberg met his connections and started in COLLEGE...his parents could afford tuition at Harvard.

I'm just pointing out that those people that you cite are exceptional. That's all.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Wealth is a factor of DESIRE.
Then the median income would be far greater than what it is. What ever happened to stats?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,441,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It is extremely hard to become a self made millionaire or very wealthy. The vast majority of those who are very wealthy inherited, or married into it.
Pathetic victim mentality and false. If you've got proof of that, I'd love to see it. But you won't show us proof because it doesn't exist and wouldn't fit your pity party agenda.

I work with some of the wealthiest people in my town every day, and I can tell you that the vast majority of them (probably 85%) were NOT born into money.

If you think like a failure, you will be a failure. Just try not to be envious. It's not becoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies