Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,591 times

Advertisements

I agree with lower taxes, more freedom and less government (who doesn't) but the problem with the libertarian ideology is that it is, well, ideological. I flirted with these ideas for a while and I realized they were not pragmatic and in some cases, completly unrealistic and unapplicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
FWIW - The very high debt is required to prevent the complete collapse of the economy after the huge loss of apparent capital during the housing price crash. I also think some parts of the government are much too big. The military and the associated foreign adventures are both unnecessary and expensive examples of big government. The Oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is an example of a not quite big enough government. Once we recover from this crash we should increase taxes to pay off the debt and reduce military spending so we will have enough money to repair the parts of the US that have been neglected since Ronnie Raygun.
If we pay off the debt we will not have any currency. Our currency is issued as debt, no debt equals no money.

It is a much larger problem than the political platitudes; most spending has increased automatically for decades, so it is not an issue of what we have neglected. The system is faulty. Patch work spending and debt is only making things worse.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
There are probably several key beliefs the Tea Party holds that I would support. However, their method is born out of rage and causes divisiveness. Their goal is to overthrow, to oppose, to stomp out. Nothing constructive comes from a mob carrying torches, be they left or right.

I haven't seen any "mob carrying torches"...

and don't forget what happened here 235 years ago....

Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
To paint the movement with a broad brush, a significant portion of them seem to be misinformed seniors whose ignorance is being exploited by certain elements within the Republican Party. When your biggest complaint is that the President is a Marxist/Kenyan-born/Muslim, you really do lose all credibility...

I had not heard that their biggest complaint is "that the President is a Marxist/Kenyan-born/Muslim".

How do you know this?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 AM

584 posts, read 871,839 times
I find them to be hypocrites. They complain about spending under our current administration, but where were they during the past administration.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:41 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
I find them to be hypocrites. They complain about spending under our current administration, but where were they during the past administration.
We were speaking up and protesting just like we are now, some of us just as loudly. In 2007 Ron Paul's camp organized a "Tea Party" event and plenty of us were already on board when that took place.

Tea Party 2007: Ron Paul Sets a New Campaign Fund-Raising Record - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
Because the last administration the Tea Party consisted of basically just Ron Paul standing on a stage with his peers complaining about debt, deficit spending and the cost of our wars abroad. He was treated with great disdain and pushed aside. So in short, he was.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 AM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I find the ones lacking credibility are those misrepresenting the Tea Party.

How hard is it to understand the biggest complaints from the Tea Party are, the debt is too high and government is too big. For whatever reason they prefer to make things up outlandish generalizations instead of discussing the issues.
Absolute bs. The "real" Tea Party crowd has been drowned out by the sea of ignorance that came along with the 08' election. I can respect the Ron Paul crowd because they understand what they are talking about, but they are definitely in the minority. Seems like the easiest way to fire up the right wing nowadays is with pejoratives like "Obamacare", "Kenyan", "Muslim"... instead of having honest discussions about these issues you speak of.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Absolute bs. The "real" Tea Party crowd has been drowned out by the sea of ignorance that came along with the 08' election. I can respect the Ron Paul crowd because they understand what they are talking about, but they are definitely in the minority. Seems like the easiest way to fire up the right wing nowadays is with pejoratives like "Obamacare", "Kenyan", "Muslim"... instead of having honest discussions about these issues you speak of.
Obamacare worked for me....

That is when I became interested in politics.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:52 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
It's pretty funny reading the comments about the tea party from a bunch of confused ill-informed propaganda filled liberals who know nothing about them and have probably never been to a meeting.

As a member of a local Tea Party, I believe it is to our benefit to let the leftist remain ignorant. The Dems we have in our Tea Party have retained their own brain and came to meetings to see for themselves. These are the type of members we want. We do not always agree on everything, yet have some key common goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies