Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
See, this is what happens when the government intrudes in the free market by trying to pick winners and losers based on it's preference and a potload of money.

Can't force people to buy what they don't want or need.

This has nothing to do with unit sales or profits or anything else related to the running of the business. It's simply one group's evaluation of the most "green" vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Nissan is majority owned by Renault which is partially owned by the French state. Don't let facts get in your way though and, please, continue to babble talking points.
Also, both companies don't have health insurance costs because both countries have universal government health care.

I guess this is just the OP's way of supporting socialized medicine.

Toyota has also sought assitance from the Japanese government, but facts never got in the way of a conservative trying to make a point.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
See, this is what happens when the government intrudes in the free market by trying to pick winners and losers based on it's preference and a potload of money.

Can't force people to buy what they don't want or need.
It really bothers you that GM is doing well. Just admit it.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Sorry, that seems a silly reason to cheer AGAINST a bunch of hard working, middle-class American families (of which I was one - my dad was an electrician for GM in Lansing, MI for 34 years), to me.

Enjoy yourself.
Did you cheer the end of East Germany? What about all of those hard working ordinary Stasi workers, clerks and data entry people, suddenly out of a job? What did they do to deserve unemployment?

Enjoy yourself

Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Not only are you wrong about the current state of GM and the industry, you can't even spell "fail."

Leave political conversations to the adults.

Ahhh...It must be hard for you going through life being so perfect.

First GM claimed they paid back all their money,but forgot to tell you it was with more borrowed money!

Quote:
As it turns out, the Obama administration put $13.4 billion of the aid money as "working capital" in an escrow account when the company was in bankruptcy. The company is using this escrow money—government money—to pay back the government loan.
GM's Phony Bailout Payback - Reason Magazine

Plus they screwed their shareholders and now want people to reinvest in them? Just the sort of company I want to do business with.The Volt will be a total FAIL,yes I spelled it right this time!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post

First GM claimed they paid back all their money,but forgot to tell you it was with more borrowed money!

Plus they screwed their shareholders and now want people to reinvest in them? Just the sort of company I want to do business with.The Volt will be a total FAIL,yes I spelled it right this time!
You should get off the Internet. It is a government creation.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-ut GM told me they earned a profit and that people said I should take an accounting course to understand that.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:38 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,023 times
I'm surprised there isn't more talk about the Civic GX. It's been a high MPG car for years now.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
You should get off the Internet. It is a government creation.
vBulletin is not. Neither is XML, the application servers running the sites, or the operating systems that run the nodes these bytes are transmitted on.

The internet simply provides the communication stack. One can say the same thing about the English language, since it's sort of a government creation also. We're communicating using it. Should those who aren't into big government stop using the English language?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Did you cheer the end of East Germany? What about all of those hard working ordinary Stasi workers, clerks and data entry people, suddenly out of a job? What did they do to deserve unemployment?

Enjoy yourself
Uh, no I didn't, as a matter of fact. What does the Stasi have to do with this discussion?

I'm glad to see that you don't have a rational reason to cheer against thousands of middle-class American families, though.

I'm not happy that the Gov needed to bail out GM, but I certainly don't hope for GM's failure now that they have. I see no reason why anyone would, honestly, and so far you've not expressed why you feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies