Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally posted by summers73
GM's downfall benefits America.

Chess, not checkers.
No, it doesn't. The fall of a company with that many employees benefits no one, and if you think so then your mind is warped and there's nothing more I can really say to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,301,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
No, it doesn't. The fall of a company with that many employees benefits no one, and if you think so then your mind is warped and there's nothing more I can really say to you.
If you want to continue playing checkers instead of chess, be my guest.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Disregarding the preposterous price tag of the Volt (as compelling a reason as any as to why I'm inclined to consider it DOA), the atrocious finishes for the much-hyped Cruze in the current issues of both Motor Trend & Automobile Magazine (6th out of 8 in one magazine and 4th out of 6 in the other) is proof positive that GM is as incompetent as ever in workmanship despite billions of $$$$ from Obama.
it is priced out of range for most americans, even with the taxpayer funded rebate, i will agree with that.

i saw a good observation on more bad news for the greenieweenies:

Yesterday, I picked up my new VW Gold TDI (diesel) in Atlanta, which is 145 miles away. On the way home I got 56.3 MPG. The VW Polo TDI is a bit smaller, and may be available here in year or so. It may get another 20% or more MPG. So mileage, highway mileage, at least, could be 60-65 MPG. New transmissions that have been announced - ZF Corporation products, for example - will claim to improve mileage another 15%. Lighter weight materials - lightweight steel - will improve things further.
And these are the improvements and advances on our doorstep.

Longer term, questions arise from the efficacy of electrical components in regard to improving fuel efficiency because of the serious amount of extra weight of batteries and components - 400 lbs., or more, of batteries alone in some hybrids.
Then there is the simple inescapable problem of more complications per car simply because there's more stuff that can go wrong with a hybrid car.
As people begin to realize there's not enough Lithium for worldwide automobile electrification/hybridization other types of batteries will be required - even Bill Gates, a major investor in battery technology - recently stated that the magical levels of technology improvements in battery performance don't seem to be happening.
Then there is the question of wasting a very rare resource on lugging people around, but, also, the environmental questions of its mining and production.

If lithium fades from the market over time will other-technology retrofit batteries provide the power-per-pound that the original batteries did? Or will you be stuck with a $40,000 hunk of wasted money? (let me inject here, what about the lithium mining issues for the greenieweenies?)

Astounding levels of hype has always existed in the fields of new technology. Unfortunately, too many of these unproven, and many ultimately unworkable technologies and being pushed to the fore by non-market forces. Vast amounts of wasted money and time occur as this happens.
And too many that have taken up, or have been convinced, of these causes as a religion become disappointed and desperate.

Read more: GM offers lower-priced 2012 Chevy Volt | Green Tech - CNET News

a well written post, IMO.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,206,091 times
I see the OP chooses to take the low hanging fruit rather than respond to the points that have been brought up about differences in car size, battery weight and longevity, product evolution, or the facts that Nissan is partially government owned and the Japanese automakers all got bailouts from their own government. Let's not even get to the sheer unlikeliness that the federal government was dictating the design of a car which began long before the bailouts ever occurred.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,840,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Bwhahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Privately owned companies > Government owned companies

Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius stomp Chevy Volt on green car list - Feb. 15, 2011
Hee Hee Hee you must not doubt Fedzilla it knows best.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:27 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I see the OP chooses to take the low hanging fruit rather than respond to the points that have been brought up about differences in car size, battery weight and longevity, product evolution, or the facts that Nissan is partially government owned and the Japanese automakers all got bailouts from their own government. Let's not even get to the sheer unlikeliness that the federal government was dictating the design of a car which began long before the bailouts ever occurred.
And it's not like Chevy was putting out absolute jaw-dropping cars before the bailout. I much prefer Ford over Chevy.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:33 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,007,399 times
So, I love this kind of argument:

The Volt underperforms and that, by itself, is a sign that everything the government does must, necessarily, fail. In other words, private industry is far superior to anything government.

Call me crazy, but wasn't it the PRIVATE car industry that managed to tank in the first place?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,301,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
So, I love this kind of argument:

The Volt underperforms and that, by itself, is a sign that everything the government does must, necessarily, fail. In other words, private industry is far superior to anything government.

Call me crazy, but wasn't it the PRIVATE car industry that managed to tank in the first place?
Ford tanked? Toyota tanked? BMW tanked?

LOL

Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 AM

46,987 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Pardon my lack of knowledge of electric cars but isn't the volt a much larger car than a Prius or a Leaf?
The Volt is an entirely different kind of vehicle - plug-in hybrid, with the Prius being a hybrid and the Leaf being pure electrical. Overall "greenness" (whatever that means) becomes dependent on usage pattern.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:57 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,783,660 times
The government made the Volt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies