Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,324,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Uh, no I didn't, as a matter of fact. What does the Stasi have to do with this discussion?
The Stasi was a government organization, and so is/was GM.

Quote:
I'm glad to see that you don't have a rational reason to cheer against thousands of middle-class American families, though.
I provided one. You simply don't agree with it.

Quote:
I'm not happy that the Gov needed to bail out GM, but I certainly don't hope for GM's failure now that they have. I see no reason why anyone would, honestly, and so far you've not expressed why you feel that way.
I'm pleased whenever the private sector shows itself to be superior to the government backed cherry picked companies. To borrow from the progressive hero Saul Alinsky, the ends justify the means. The world is a better place in the long run even if it hurts a few companies in the short run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
First GM claimed they paid back all their money,but forgot to tell you it was with more borrowed money!
That's just a lie. It was repaid from an escrow account of money GM got from selling GM shares to the government. If I sell the government a computer and then use the money I make to pay off my credit card then I haven't borrowed money and instead I sold an asset. Please, for the love of God, get your basic facts straight.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 PM

2,097 posts, read 3,820,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
b-b-b-b-b-b-b-ut GM told me they earned a profit and that people said I should take an accounting course to understand that.

You're going to need a heck of a lot more than an accounting course to figure out how they fudged those numbers...lol

Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,823,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
I'm surprised there isn't more talk about the Civic GX. It's been a high MPG car for years now.
Honda is suppressing the availability of the GX for some reason.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,961,136 times
I like the Prius. It's a good car.

And I hope the American automakers pick it up and make the same quality product. It'll be good for all involved.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,416,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Plus they screwed their shareholders and now want people to reinvest in them? Just the sort of company I want to do business with.The Volt will be a total FAIL,yes I spelled it right this time!

Even with GM's terrible quality record over the years, it took GM's screwing of the shareholders to get this forty-year-plus GM driver to give up on the Company.

I don't know if the Volt will be a success or not but this is one person not wishing GM well.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 PM

28,343 posts, read 16,448,987 times
Quote:
The Stasi was a government organization, and so is/was GM.
No, it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73
I provided one. You simply don't agree with it.
You did? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73
I'm pleased whenever the private sector shows itself to be superior to the government backed cherry picked companies. To borrow from the progressive hero Saul Alinsky, the ends justify the means. The world is a better place in the long run even if it hurts a few companies in the short run.
I'm pleased whenever ANY company that provides Americans with jobs does well. Especially given our current unemployment rates. I guess we'll agree to disagree there.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,735,058 times
This vehicle was in development long before the government helped the company transition. It's now growing, hiring new workers, and making money again while leaving the temporary government support behind, so:

1. The premise of this thread is wrong and reveals ideology over practicality
2. Obama and Bush were right to not let our industrial base collapse and weaken us.

God bless America. United we stand, even in the hardest of times. I'm glad my tax dollars went toward keeping 2 million people from losing their jobs and I'm glad we're getting paid back now.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:27 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,627,362 times
Quote:
Now that the government is out of the picture and done enough damage to GM, maybe it's possible they can finally compete with Ford.
Sorry but the gov. did not damage GM. GM damaged themselves.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:36 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,583,832 times
The downright preposterous pricetag of the Volt (north of $40,000) is a major impediment for the car to overcome; Americans have been voting with their wallets for decades that they'll never lay out 40K for a car that small unless it's an import.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies