Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,565,632 times

Advertisements

I have seen a few threads that talk about the Tea Party, both good and bad. Seems to me it will depend on the writers political views whether they are described negatively or positively.

I really have not look into them. I just have seen news about them on the paper, TV, here, etc.

However, I am now curious what are their political agendas.

I would like to see what people know about their agendas.

Also, please feel free why you agree or disagree with their agenda/goals.

Now, I hope this become a productive forum. I ask writer please not tell me they are bunch of Nazis, Racists, Extremists, etc.

I have seen that written all over the place including the positives others seen in them.

I want to know what are their agendas. I take it there might be some website of their own that may say what are their goals. I am sure someone may post it along the way.

Again, please do not fall for the childish name calling, personal attacks, and comments that do not she any light on the question i.e. what are their political agenda/goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 03:53 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,148,092 times
There are probably several key beliefs the Tea Party holds that I would support. However, their method is born out of rage and causes divisiveness. Their goal is to overthrow, to oppose, to stomp out. Nothing constructive comes from a mob carrying torches, be they left or right.

If they were to offer a sane approach to solutions they would appeal to many people, but our two-party system will insure they fail. They can't have someone ruin THEIR power party, can they? The Dem/Rep doppelganger will infiltrate, divide and conquer, or just ruin the Tea Party's reputation to stay in power. The corporations that back them will not allow for a civilian revolt unless they can usurp it and profit from it.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM

45,304 posts, read 26,567,165 times
The bulk seemed to support the Un-Patriot Act.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
There are probably several key beliefs the Tea Party holds that I would support. However, their method is born out of rage and causes divisiveness. Their goal is to overthrow, to oppose, to stomp out. Nothing constructive comes from a mob carrying torches, be they left or right.

If they were to offer a sane approach to solutions they would appeal to many people, but the two-party system will insure they fail. We can't have someone ruin THEIR power party, can we? The Dem/Rep doppelganger will infiltrate, divide and conquer, or just ruin the Tea Party's reputation to stay in power. The corporations that back our current two-headed monster won't allow for a civilian revolt unless they can usurp it and profit from it.
What are some of those beliefs that you would support. That may help understand them more I suppose.

Overthrow what?
Stomp out what?

Mob carrying torches? As I said I have not seem much of them? Torches? Are they doing int in a threatening way? I have seen other types of groups from differing political views talking in threating ways and very confrontional. How are they different than other groups? take care.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,297,111 times
I have absolutely nothing against the Tea Party. To me, they're Republicans. I don't make a distinction.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The bulk seemed to support the Un-Patriot Act.
How so? Can you expand on that? Take care.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:06 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,354,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I have absolutely nothing against the Tea Party. To me, they're Republicans. I don't make a distinction.
April 2010
"Four in 10 Tea Party members are either Democrats or Independents, according to a new national survey."

Survey: Four in 10 Tea Party members are Democrats or independents - The Hill's Ballot Box

"They are not typical Tea Party activists: A woman who voted for President Obama and believes he's a "phenomenal speaker." Another who said she was a "knee-jerk, bleeding heart liberal.""

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-04-02/p..._s=PM:POLITICS

Old 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM

956 posts, read 1,116,287 times
To paint the movement with a broad brush, a significant portion of them seem to be misinformed seniors whose ignorance is being exploited by certain elements within the Republican Party. When your biggest complaint is that the President is a Marxist/Kenyan-born/Muslim, you really do lose all credibility...

Old 02-14-2011, 04:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,218,541 times
Well, I appreciate the Tea Party folks as much as I appreciate the folks at Code Pink and the former anti-war movement. I rather enjoy Americans who are passionate enough to take to the streets, even if I wholly disagree with them, it is part of what makes us a pretty durn fine nation.

However, I admit frustration in that the Tea Party movement was first wrought by Ron Paul supporters who are more Libertarian and generally anti-empire/ less interventionist, but ended up being hijacked by establishment forces within the GOP. Such is life, it is the dirty business of politics and if I were in their shoes, I'd do the same damn thing.

Tea Party as it stands now and as I see it, is a mish mash of paleoconservatism, social conservatism and fiscal conservatism that is trying to be controlled by establishment conservatism, which is essentially neoconservatism.

There are some awesome aspects of the Tea Party, and there are some horrendous aspects of the Tea Party and to be honest, they shouldn't even be considered in the same box, but such is politics and those transformational periods between elections.

My personal belief is that the Tea Party is a tempest in a tea cup, and the good parts of the Tea Party will lumped in with the bad and by and large the entire movement will die within an election cycle.

The "Tea Party" is in fact several factions within a same group trying to wrestle power and influence, but it gets considered as "one thing" unfairly, but such is politics today where everything has only one of two conclusions, this or that. Absolutism and we all lose because we define things in such terms.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,237,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well, I appreciate the Tea Party folks as much as I appreciate the folks at Code Pink and the former anti-war movement. I rather enjoy Americans who are passionate enough to take to the streets, even if I wholly disagree with them, it is part of what makes us a pretty durn fine nation.

However, I admit frustration in that the Tea Party movement was first wrought by Ron Paul supporters who are more Libertarian and generally anti-empire/ less interventionist, but ended up being hijacked by establishment forces within the GOP. Such is life, it is the dirty business of politics and if I were in their shoes, I'd do the same damn thing.

Tea Party as it stands now and as I see it, is a mish mash of paleoconservatism, social conservatism and fiscal conservatism that is trying to be controlled by establishment conservatism, which is essentially neoconservatism.

There are some awesome aspects of the Tea Party, and there are some horrendous aspects of the Tea Party and to be honest, they shouldn't even be considered in the same box, but such is politics and those transformational periods between elections.

My personal belief is that the Tea Party is a tempest in a tea cup, and the good parts of the Tea Party will lumped in with the bad and by and large the entire movement will die within an election cycle.

The "Tea Party" is in fact several factions within a same group trying to wrestle power and influence, but it gets considered as "one thing" unfairly, but such is politics today where everything has only one of two conclusions, this or that. Absolutism and we all lose because we define things in such terms.
Great overview! You are so right about the high jacking of the Tea Party by the Neo-Cons and establishment GOP.

The minute someone like Paul starts talking about putting a stop to crony capitalism, you see the new tea party elitists run for the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies