Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 PM

446 posts, read 649,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Sounds like everyone you know wants OTHER people to take care of them.

The poor should go to work and SUPPORT themselves. Any job, anywhere, anytime.
People who are not permanently disabled need to take care of themselves.
I can see 6 month safety nets (with drug checks), that is it.
Don't worry about revitalizing inner cities, instead move to where the work is.
Good paying jobs are there now for blacks, whites and others if you have some incredible talent or education; if not, there is no shame in any job.
If you can't make it in the private sector you have problems.

Do you realize how pathetic your post was regarding why Democrats are Democrats?
The post sounds like what a dependent child would want, not an adult IMO.
This post is just dripping with understanding and compassion, ain't it? First of all, the vast majority of the poor DO work, and they still have trouble getting by. Therefore, assistance programs are needed to give them a boost to an acceptable living standard. Not everyone can always completely stand by themselves; some need a hand to get up.

Don't worry about the inner cities, huh? So instead of improving on and bringing jobs back to what's already there, you just want the urban poor to move en masse to the suburbs? That makes about as much sense as installing an A/C unit in Northern Alaska! Instead of abandoning culture and roots and making inner urban cores a vast wasteland--not to mention incurring expensive moving costs--it's about improving what is there. Besides, the LAST thing we need is MORE suburban sprawl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Reagan was a man who owned property with "Covenent Deeds" that specifically forbade property he owned to being sold to a person of color. He did nothing to object to or change his deeds. He gave the first speech for his campaign in Philadelphia Mississippi where four civil rights workers were killed in the 1960's. His speech was on his approval of "State Rights". Historically "States Rights" were the basis of Jim Crow laws and other laws to enforce racial segregation in the United States. That was Reagan way of letting Southern Conservatives voters know he stood solidly in their corner.

Reagan was the skillful politician in that he never outwardly used racial rhetoric but he was very skillful at using issues like states rights and having an presidential legistlative agenda that basically abandoned inner city America.

Lee Atwater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lee Atwater was a political consultant of both Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. Here is his take on the Southern Strategy the most popular Republican presidential strategy in place since the 1960 to appeal to Conservative based on racial issues.

This is still an integral part of the modern Republican politcal strategy.
Hell, in my book, it it's the MAIN PART of their strategy. So much so, that when i think of Lee Atwater, i think Republican personified. All that stuff about small government, less taxes and other stuff just goes away when i think about that guy. He wrote their playbook, and that playbook sticks to them no matter how much they claim it doesn't.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Then you don't represent the overall black community.
Well i should certainly hope not. I never in fact claimed that i did.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,390,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You've just never noticed because you fall into a different demographic.

If you hang around on a board long enough you get to know the posters. I'd say that you, JazzyTallGuy, desertdetroiter, and A_lexus all fall into a similar category and post similar responses to people.
If you hang around here and don't get to know the patterns and the posters maybe you have reading comprehension issues or a bad memory.
Yes, I mentioned that people replied positively to my post that you didn't like. Stating facts is not bragging.

See that...I was right
And what category is that?
I don't have reading comprehension issues or a bad memory; maybe your posts are just so insignificant that they don't stand out enough for me to remember them or you.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
He is a successful general contractor who now commutes from CA to Pennsylvania for work because of the economy.
His wife also works and does real well.
Paid a half million for the house. Have a 35 foot racing boat and other stuff they EARNED.
Moved for their kids who they fear for they said, especially for their young daughter.
Perhaps you're forgetting that i'm actually a black dude. Why would you assume that you're telling me a story that i've never heard before? I mean really....i'm the son of successful parents. Successful black folks looking for a better place to live is nothing new to me...i know far more of them than you know. That's how i ended up moving to AZ with my father. So what exactly is your point?

And paid half a mill for a house and owns a 35 foot racing boat? So what? What am i supposed to say about that? If i had a half mil to drop on a house, i wouldn't do it....let alone own a racing boat. LMAO...I mean, those things are nice, but i'm not impressed.

The killer tag is "stuff they EARNED!" Okaaaaay. Well, i was gonna assume that they bought it on Welfare if you hadn't told me THAT! You know...cuz most people don't actually EARN that stuff...they steal it.

And i can certainly relate to someone moving for the benefit of their children. Thankfully, i didn't have to do that. But i did drop 3/4ths of my yearly salary putting my own son through college. And i didn't have to use my Welfare check to do it either. Imagine that.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whatever. I don't consider it to be a racist term by any means. I know some Uncle Tom types, and there isn't a damn thing racist about pointing it out.
What you consider the meaning of a phrase to mean doesn't change the actual meaning of it.

Uncle Tom is an ethnic slur aka a racial insult aka a derogatory name that you call a black person.

You can consider it to mean wearing socks with sandals but that doesn't change the meaning behind it and you really shouldn't go around using words like that with no regard or respect to their meaning; it's really not a good look for you as a "black dude"

Old 02-21-2011, 04:47 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,534,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
What you consider the meaning of a phrase to mean doesn't change the actual meaning of it.

Uncle Tom is an ethnic slur aka a racial insult aka a derogatory name that you call a black person.

You can consider it to mean wearing socks with sandals but that doesn't change the meaning behind it and you really shouldn't go around using words like that with no regard or respect to their meaning; it's really not a good look for you as a "black dude"
This is hysterical!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:48 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,355,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
And what category is that?
I don't have reading comprehension issues or a bad memory; maybe your posts are just so insignificant that they don't stand out enough for me to remember them or you.

You can figure that one out on your own....or maybe not

maybe they are in your opinion...which doesn't really matter...or maybe you just choose to ignore them because you disagree....either way it doesn't matter. We'll both continue posting here. Maybe we'll debate in other threads or maybe not....

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You can figure that one out on your own....or maybe not

maybe they are in your opinion...which doesn't really matter...or maybe you just choose to ignore them because you disagree....either way it doesn't matter. We'll both continue posting here. Maybe we'll debate in other threads or maybe not....
So in other words you made a statement that you're incapable of backing up?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,290,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
This post is just dripping with understanding and compassion, ain't it? First of all, the vast majority of the poor DO work, and they still have trouble getting by. Therefore, assistance programs are needed to give them a boost to an acceptable living standard. Not everyone can always completely stand by themselves; some need a hand to get up.

Don't worry about the inner cities, huh? So instead of improving on and bringing jobs back to what's already there, you just want the urban poor to move en masse to the suburbs? That makes about as much sense as installing an A/C unit in Northern Alaska! Instead of abandoning culture and roots and making inner urban cores a vast wasteland--not to mention incurring expensive moving costs--it's about improving what is there. Besides, the LAST thing we need is MORE suburban sprawl!
Two families should rent one place like they used to, that would free up some money.
Even at minimum wage, two people would earn in the teens of dollars which would make it easier to live.
Sure, food stamps for a time and so forth.

I am really not trying to be unemphatic (I even have a homeless family who are unrelated to me living in my home with their newborn right now).

Problem is the country has ZERO money to pay for anything.
There is no money for section 8.
No money for free baby sitting services.
No money for any health care for free beyond fixing bones, handing out aspirin and maybe band aids.

If you have a hundred dollars in the bank account we can't make thousand dollar checks because I'd go to jail. Our country has been doing that and our politicians from both parties should have been punished for this IMO.

There is no $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Charity is about it right now.
Everything else is collapsed. We are life support financially. There is nothing left to support a great society programs long term or government unions for that matter.

NOTHING will bring back anything to the inner cities if businesses don't find the area appealing. Rather than die waiting for CHANGE, you have to go to where the work is.

I do have some homeless living for free in my home and because our family wanted work, we are 30 miles away being paid for long hours doing what we need to in this economy.
If I said my home was like an urban core and that I should sit on my butt till someone brought work to my house, I'd be flat @ss broke.

Reality is what it is.
If there were all these high skilled employable non problem people in any area where it was business friendly, businesses would be there. Business people wouldn't deny themselves an opportunity to earn.
I think all people should move to where the jobs are.

Carry any culture you wish to a new place, make a new mark and become great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies