Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ??
Income tax 18 28.13%
Property tax 3 4.69%
Sales tax 43 67.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,341,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's not the way it works, you expand your business by producing/selling lower costs products than the competitor. The only time you can raise costs beyond their worth is when demand exceeds the supply.
The only time you can raise prices beyond cost is when demand exceeds the supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
The only truly fair tax is one on government created and protected privilege. Limited Liability for corporations, land, natural resources and natural monopolies.
Hard to disagree with that.

Unless, of course, all individual rights are converted to government created privilege.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:29 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,384,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
It's too late. If an item costs a $1 due to extra taxes, and the taxes are removed, guess what?

The company will still charge you a friggen dollar. Stop dreaming.
But, you will be paying ALL of the costs of the good or service. Right now you pay only a faction.

Think of a $25 loaf of bread.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,274,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
It's too late. If an item costs a $1 due to extra taxes, and the taxes are removed, guess what?

The company will still charge you a friggen dollar. Stop dreaming.
That's not necessarily true.

When state sales tax goes up in general or specifically for a product I sell, I raise the price accordingly.

If the taxes should go down (ha-ha-ha), or the price of the product (for me) decreases from the wholesaler (because no one is buying it anymore, and their margins are much larger than mine), or is on "special" - if i buy "so much", I'll decrease the price of the product...there IS competition out there, especially for small businesses.

Have to keep your margins or you'll be as broke as the person who makes $30K per year while he spends $30K per year to live, in your example.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
So we tax the elderly out of their paid-for family homes that they would have liked to save for their kids and grandkids.
I didn't say we tax them out of their homes, certainly property taxes are out of control at least in my area and they can be lowered. If property tax were eliminated those grand kids might be unable to afford any land of their own.

Quote:
Why shouldn't people be allowed to keep their own property without developing it and destroying the wildlife and natural habitat? Why does every bit of the earth need to be paved over?
My state has a pretty good program called "Clean & Green" that allows people with 10 contiguous acres that is undeveloped to set this property aside. Forest land, farms etc. This also severely limits what can be done with the property in the future, anyone that wants to develop it will first have to pay a hefty tax bill for all the back taxes. The value of the land is substantially lowered.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,455,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's not the way it works, you expand your business by producing/selling lower costs products than the competitor. The only time you can raise costs beyond their worth is when demand exceeds the supply.
Yeah -- it is. My state used to regulate health insurance premiums. Republican Gov. Pataki decided that pesky state regulation is what was making premium prices so high. So government stepped out of the equation and we just got higher premiums.

Private enterprise is designed to make money -- and it is very good at it. We can't call it immoral for private enterprise to do what it was designed to do. They may ***** about payroll taxes being the cause of high prices but it's all just a scapegoat.

Furthermore, even if prices DID go down, then what? We're left with deflation. Look at 90s Japan or 30s US and tell me deflation is a good idea.

I'll stick with the "Unfair Tax" thanks... and btw, I owe income taxes for the first time in my life this year. I've always gotten a refund, never owed. And I'm still saying that I prefer that to the supposed "Fair Tax."

Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,274,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The only time you can raise prices beyond cost is when demand exceeds the supply.
A business wouldn't be in business if they sold their goods for what their goods cost them on a daily basis.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post

I'll stick with the "Unfair Tax" thanks... and btw, I owe income taxes for the first time in my life this year. I've always gotten a refund, never owed. And I'm still saying that I prefer that to the supposed "Fair Tax."

Brag, brag, brag!

Old 03-12-2011, 10:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Yeah -- it is. My state used to regulate health insurance premiums. Republican Gov. Pataki decided that pesky state regulation is what was making premium prices so high. So government stepped out of the equation and we just got higher premiums.
How many health insurance companies can you choose from?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
A business wouldn't be in business if they sold their goods for what their goods cost them on a daily basis.
Yeah, I thought that's what I said, only expressed as "intuitive economics".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies