Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am willing to guess 33% are invalid.
Depends on area, I would think. Roberta Darling district on affluent liberal North Shore was very well organized. Groups met at two different places, were assigned blocks/streets to canvass, went door to door. Those signatures will be valid. Those obtained by drive bys on street corners, probably more subject to disqualification.

Again, people are plenty mad. We had a town hall meeting in a Republican suburban library with Sensenbrenner & Vukmir, which Sensenbrenner shut down after 1/2 hour because everyone there was so angry. He didn't want to hear it. Typical GOP - my way or the highway. If Vukmir hadn't just been elected, she'd be on the list. Although, she'll be taken care of in January along with Walker.

Can't get rid of 'em fast enough. Tyrants, the whole bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,499 times
The hilarious thing about this recall thing is the Democrats foaming at the mouth over the vote haven't answered two questions:

1) What about their "leaders" who illegally left the state to prevent the vote and
2) Even if this vote hadn't gone down, how was Wisconsin going to continue to pay the outrageous pensions and benefits for the state workers?

As to point 2, you'll hear a lot of pullstring "tax...somebody other than me!", but that's not a solution.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:11 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Putting the chicken before the egg really. Get somehting on the ballot is much easier than getting it passed.
I love how the wingers have now moved on from dismissing the recall drive to dismissing the coming elections...LOL

There is a whole thread of them poo pooing the chances for the recall drive to work.

Now they are doubling down in the face of a poll that shows 3 GOPers trailing....LOL

Fun times.

Next up...they'll dismiss the recall drive for Walker's seat coming in 10 Months.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No. That wasn't my claim. That was my source.
Ooh I get it.. you didnt claim that people were standing in line, you only said people were.. I get it.. yeah.. thats not the same thing
Quote:
Actually, you are wrong yet again. It is exactly how it works. Signatures for petitions are generally collected by stationing the collector in front of a high traffic venue like a grocery store. Usually, you don't get lines though.
I've collected signatures to get people on the ballot.. I know how it works.. But you claimed OVER A MILLION were standing in line.. ooh wait, you didnt claim it, you only said it..
Quote:
It appears that you've never been involved in a petition drive. First you figure out the number of signatures you need, you adjust for a certain percentage that will be tossed out, and then you build and field the team to go collect them.
Not only have I been involved with them, I've also been a candidate for county commissioner once.. I've gathered signatures for all sorts of candidates, Democrats and Republicans.. What does the fact that you need more than the required number have to do with your claims of of millions standing in line.. cough.. I mean saying millions were standing in line..
Quote:
So in the case of Wisconsin they need roughly 125,000 good signatures. Figure 10% get kicked out, that bumps up to about 138,000 signatures.
Good.. so far we proved you can multiple 125K * 1.1.. but that has nothing to do with anything I said..
Quote:
With 60 days to collect, they need 2300 signatures a day. While one person can collect 100-200 signatures a day, the pragmatic planning figure is actually closer to 75. So the entire signature collection team needs to be about 30 people.
Gees.. isnt that EXACTLY the number I claimed and you said I was wrong?

That works out to about 20-30 people gathering signatures in the WHOLE state? Haha.. ooh I bet Republicans are scared now!!!

Yep.. it sure was... but if people are standing IN LINE waiting to sign, you can get a hell of a lot more than 75 per day..
Quote:
In the case of Wisconsin, they appear to be collecting signatures at about 2 times the rate they need. Sounds to me like a very successful program so far.
Never stated they couldnt/wouldnt hit the number.. In fact just the opposite.. I ridiculed the fact that you only need 20-30 people to get the number..
Quote:
Given the number of signatures they need to collect to force the recalls a that actually sounds pretty much exactly right. Who knew the collections would go so much faster than they planned?

Anyone with an elementary education knows you can get Democrats to sign a petition against the GOP, and vice versa..

Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,734,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The recall drive already has 50% of the signatures needed in just 15 days. 45 days remaining.

You need to keep up.
Those pot smokers have to show up and vote and they don't even have a candidate. Ha ha

Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
"Anybody knows you can get a Democrat to sign a petition against the GOP and vice versa."

Funny. The Wisconsin GOP refuses to talk about that "vice versa" scenario? .....Ashamed?

The Hill

"Republicans claim they are collecting signatures against the eight Democratic state senators also eligible for recall, but they refuse to divulge numbers. "

Old 03-15-2011, 05:22 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
The hilarious thing about this recall thing is the Democrats foaming at the mouth over the vote haven't answered two questions:

1) What about their "leaders" who illegally left the state to prevent the vote and
I am DELIGHTED they left the state. That three weeks allowed every to KNOW that Walker is decimating our Medicaid/Badger Care Program, defunding our public schools and arranging for only the troubled to attend the public schools which will not have the funds to deal with them, sell state assets without bids, and other forms of robbery and wealth transfer to numerous to mention.
Quote:
2) Even if this vote hadn't gone down, how was Wisconsin going to continue to pay the outrageous pensions and benefits for the state workers?
Do you not read any of the posts on this thread before repeating questions that have been asked and answered 100s of times?

It is NOT about the health care and pensions.

IT IS ABOUT KING WALKER:

PLEASE REREAD:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
So funny so many non-Wisconsin people here are so pro-Walker. Not their fight. Must be getting paid per post.

The real Wisconsin people are plenty ticked off.

Once again, for the ten-thousandth time for people who REFUSE to recognize the obvious, Walker's autocratic, heavy-handed, deceptive approach is what people are so INFURIATED about. It is not "greedy" public employees.

It IS Walker's vendetta to destroy unions. It was always about the unions. Always. He tried to hide his agenda by saying it was fiscal, but when he couldn't do it that way, he put the issue in a bill that was NONFISCAL so he could achieve his goal - BREAK THE UNION - thereby proving he was lying all along. It was NEVER a fiscal issue.

I am not pro-union or against - but I am AGAINST Walker's roughshod obdurate refusal to listen to anyone. That is scary and it scares most Wisconsin voters.

Walker believes he is NOT answerable to the voters - especially if what the voters want - and most of them - at least 60% - disagree with him right now - is not what HE wants.

Someone has called him Governor Liar. I think that is an appropriate description. We can't get rid of him fast enough.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Actually, ignoring that I am not a Democrat, they have been answered over, and over, and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos
Clue #1: We live in the United States. It is not illegal to leave one state for another... for any reason other than transporting girls across state lines for immoral purpose.

Quote:
The unions agreed to all the financial concessions asked for by the governor a month ago... before any Democratic Senators left town. The stand off had nothing to do with the budget. It had to with collective bargaining.

Quote:
As to point 2, you'll hear a lot of pullstring "tax...somebody other than me!", but that's not a solution.
No you won't. And no you didn't.

Was your entire purpose for contributing to this thread to demonstrate you have no idea what the hell is even going on? Because you succeeded.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The real Wisconsin people are plenty ticked off.
Ticked off enough to pay higher property taxes to give public employees better salaries and benefits than they themselves have?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Ticked off enough to pay higher property taxes to give public employees better salaries and benefits than they themselves have?
There's no indication property taxes need to go higher - other than your outdated bogus study done by a Rightwing think tank.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies