Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It is closer than Britain, and yet, Britain is taking the lead.

Yup, and that's what I'm critical of.

They didn't totally turn a blind eye to the situation... they did have ONE thing they were concerned about:

"Oh, these oppressed political refugees, being killed by their own government? Send them back to Libya, we don't want them."

Real humanitarians over there.

This wouldn't aggravate me so much, if Italy, Spain, France & Co. , hadn't been so critical of the United States human rights issues over the past 10 years. Apparently the strategy for maintaining "moral high ground" in southern Europe means running your mouth and turning a blind eye at the same time.
Italy and Spain both have a big problem with illegal immigrants from North Africa. Are we okay taking a few million Mexican refugees from the drug violence down there? Its easy to take the moral high ground when you have no real skin in the game. You have to try and see it from the Italian's perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
So what do we do? Let Iran have nuclear weapons? Maybe we should help them build one of the most powerful, most capable nuclear arsenals in the middle east? I'm not being sarcastic. Maybe we should help build up the entire nuclear arsenal of North Korea. They could be our next China.
You know what, that genie got out of the bottle when Pakistan and India developed their own nukes .... and they are much more likely to use the (probably on each other) than the Iranians are. I don't know what the answer is but I don't think we can stop it happening sooner or later.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Italy and Spain both have a big problem with illegal immigrants from North Africa. Are we okay taking a few million Mexican refugees from the drug violence down there?
Evidently we are, because the Mexican population in the U.S. has skyrocketed since the 1990's.

Quote:
Its easy to take the moral high ground when you have no real skin in the game.
agreed, that is my point. These mediterranean European countries are minimizing their exposure to the situation.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Evidently we are, because the Mexican population in the U.S. has skyrocketed since the 1990's.

agreed, that is my point. These mediterranean European countries are minimizing their exposure to the situation.
So let them. Why is it our problem?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:49 PM

45,214 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Obama amps it up with sabre rattling rhetoric:

Obama to Gadhafi: Stop or face military action (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110318/ap_on_re_us/us_us_libya - broken link)

Quote:
WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama demanded Friday that Moammar Gadhafi halt all military attacks on civilians and said that if the Libyan leader did not stand down the United States would join other nations in launching military action against him.
It's as if Cheney and Rumsfeld are back in the White House.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 PM

589 posts, read 756,611 times
First off, dont forget this. The Media and "World leaders" make no distinction between a armed Rebel [wielding a AK-47] who is actively attacking Libyan officials and Army personal, and a normal Civilian who is not involved in the fighting at all. In other words, even if Civilians are not being attacked the West can still claim [and is claiming] Civilians are being attacked since Rebels are being attacked...Catch 22 right there. And from most reports from Libya, Rebels are being attacked almost exclusively. But that does not matter, our media will still say Civilians are under attack despite being armed Rebels.

Obviously there is alot more going on in Libya than we [the little people] are being told by World "leaders". I dont trust our US leaders or the Europeans to be honest and here is why...

The wording of the No Fly Zone resolution is shady, and the way the media has been reporting the events in Libya is shady aswell. We went from imposing ONLY a No-Fly zone to it now including bombing Tanks and Artillery. That is quite a leap from only keeping Gaddafi's airforce grounded - we are now actively involved with attacking another nation's army. We were misled again, similar to the WMD lie with Iraq.

And to repeat myself again...

1 - The Media and "World leaders" make no distinction between a armed Rebel who is actively attacking Libyan officials and Army personal, and a normal Civilian who is not involved in the fighting at all. In other words, both are Civilians in the eyes of the West, and if Gaddafi's army kills a AK-47 wielding "Rebel" then he is according to World leaders, killing his own people [which makes no sense since a Armed Rebel is a Combatant]. This is very important as it is the only official reason we are involved in Libya - to protect Civilians...Yet even armed Rebels are considered a "Civilian"...How are we not being lied to ?

Considering the lies we have been told so far from our Government regarding Libya, and why Rebels are being called Civilians...It begs the question of why ? Is it oil that we are after ? Are we trying to get a pro-West puppet installed in Libya, what is it.

And for those of you who dont care and say Rebels should not be attacked...Ask yourself this. Do you think Obama, or ANY European nation would tolerate a Armed rebellion ? No way. If say there was a large uprising in Texas [with hundreds of deaths in the state due to Rebels] do you think Obama would just step down ? No. He would send in the Army. Gaddafi is not a great guy sure, but his response is not a bad one.

Last edited by jonaos; 03-18-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 02:03 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
Where are the liberals' outrage? Obama is attacking yet another oil-rich Middle Eastern country that's no threat to us.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Where are the liberals' outrage? Obama is attacking yet another oil-rich Middle Eastern country that's no threat to us.
I am a progressive and I am OUTRAGED!!! I'm sick of us going to war against countries that have nothing to do with us. I'm really getting sick of living in this country. I'm sick of American imperialism. Sick and tired of it.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So let them. Why is it our problem?
We are letting them.

And it isn't our problem.

It is just something that is worth criticizing.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It's right here. (hand raised)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies