Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
How does it affect everyone? Please answer the question in explicit detail.
See Post #61

Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm married. You are advocating a change to the definition of marriage. Such a change would affect anyone that is married.
Wrong. I have a driver's license. In my state, you have to be 16 years of age or older to obtain the title "licensed driver." If the state enacts a law allowing 15 year olds to drive, I am STILL a "licensed driver." My rights, privileges and responsibilities remain the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
I consider marriage to be a sacred thing. God created marriage--and it is a sacred symbolic image of how God loves his church. The church is called the "Bride of Christ". You can whine about how us Christians supposedly hate you and others..but really, it has nothing to do with that.
Your belief is not supported by historical fact, but OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
I think it slanders my marriage, it slanders my religion, and it cheapens the whole thing.

I'm sorry, but I don't wish ill on anyone..but it is my conviction that marriage should be 1 man, 1 woman. I've got as much right to that view as you have to your's.
SO you have provided only your opinion on how it will offend your sensibilities and your particular brand of Christianity. That is a subjective personal issue. How does it effect heterosexual marriage, OBJECTIVELY? What changes vis-a-vis your responsibilities towards your wife and the government as outlined in your marriage CONTRACT? (Which is the ONLY thing the state cares about, btw. You can get "married" by your pastor 100 times, but unless you have the state marriage CERTIFICATE, you are not "married" in the eyes of the state).

Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
See Post #61
Take away Social Security survival benefits for all married couples.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no according to federal law, anything you have to PAY for is a priviledge...you ASK PERMISSION to get married by having a MARRIAGE LICENSE (for which you PAY the government for the PERMISSION)

marriage by law is a PRIVILEDGE , not a right
"no according to federal law, anything you have to PAY for is a priviledge". "According to federal law"???? You are making no sense.

Will the proponents here for gay marriage please make up your minds? Is marriage a right or a privilege?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
actually the question is why would a male be attracted to a male.(or female to female)

thgere are only 2 possible answers

..it is a NEUROLOGICAL (meaning in the brain)problem/malfunction/mutation, from bad genes

or

its because they CAN NOT CONFORM TO NORMALCY...also a neurological problem, from a mental standpoint

CAN NOT BE EXPLAINED scientificly any other way

Thank you Dr. Laura. Your oh-so-learned opinion duly noted. Where'd you get your degree in neuroscience? University of City-Data, online campus?

Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Quote:
actually the question is why would a male be attracted to a male.(or female to female)

thgere are only 2 possible answers

..it is a NEUROLOGICAL (meaning in the brain)problem/malfunction/mutation, from bad genes

or

its because they CAN NOT CONFORM TO NORMALCY...also a neurological problem, from a mental standpoint

CAN NOT BE EXPLAINED scientificly any other way
So now I have bad genes and am mental...should I be locked away in some sort of asylum too?

The idiocy of some people on here never ceases to amaze me.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Wrong. I have a driver's license. In my state, you have to be 16 years of age or older to obtain the title "licensed driver." If the state enacts a law allowing 15 year olds to drive, I am STILL a "licensed driver." My rights, privileges and responsibilities remain the same.
What of the 12 year olds that want to drive? Maybe I don't want to stop at red lights. Are you suggesting *gasp* that we should restrict anyone?
Quote:

Your belief is not supported by historical fact, but OK.
huh?

Quote:

SO you have provided only your opinion on how it will offend your sensibilities and your particular brand of Christianity. That is a subjective personal issue. How does it effect heterosexual marriage, OBJECTIVELY? What changes vis-a-vis your responsibilities towards your wife and the government as outlined in your marriage CONTRACT? (Which is the ONLY thing the state cares about, btw. You can get "married" by your pastor 100 times, but unless you have the state marriage CERTIFICATE, you are not "married" in the eyes of the state).
You should stop judging me. I gave you my reasons, I don't much care if you think they're good or not. I have as much right to my opinion as you do.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Actually, traditional marriage has already collapsed, just look at the divorce rates, the out of wedlock birth rates, and the larger numbers of people choosing to be remain unmarried in general.

None of this has anything to do with gay marriage. I'm not an advocate, but I have no problem with citizens choosing to have it (or not) IN THEIR STATE based on the Tenth Amendment. People who advocate for (or against it) shouldn't try to force their views down the throats of people using the courts, however. If the citizens have voted for or against it, others should accept it or move to a state the agrees with them.
Then by the same standards, a state that the majority do not want interracial marriage should be able to vote on it and place bans on it. There is no difference, it is still mandated discrimination.

Quote:
How does it affect everyone? Please answer the question in explicit detail.
You asked a question. I answered it.

Quote:
Take away Social Security survival benefits for all married couples.
This is another issue entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
People with mental problems rarely think they are.

This is rich coming from the side of the political spectrum and perspective whose members believe in an invisible person who lives in the sky, overlooking the earth like a giant ant farm and concerns himself with the bedroom antics of humanity.

Talk about crazy. Mass delusionment is more like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies