Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:59 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANGUY231123 View Post
Not all Latinos/Hispanics come here poor waiting to mow a lawn or paint a house...

Latinos from Argentina, Puerto Rico, Chile, Brazil, Uraguay, come over as professionals with college degrees or for schooling. Cubans are known to be a successful Latin American group in the USA for example.

These nationalities fall under the traditional Black or White categories and do not boast Brown Pride,

I don't know any Native Americans (I know people who claim to have some ancestry but fall under White or Black), a true A.I. would be Asian racially. Middle Easterners in the area I live typically fall under White and never call themselves Brown (Most are mixed race people). East Indians (India, Paki, Bangladeshi) are just that and never call themselves Brown people in my experience, they are racially mixed but avoid making a call on race. Do not know any native Alaskans (which would be racial Asian).
The point of my "bricklayer" comment is that that is the typical American perspective for anyone who is Hispanic. Again- they typically do not get respect for being educated, professional adults. Brown power.

There is emerging evidence that suggests Native Americans are NOT of Asian ancestry. It doesn't matter anyway. "They" are not white.

Where do you live? It's unfortunate that the only people you know are white.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 AM

34 posts, read 187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
You are missing the bigger picture. Race is subjective and is in the eye of the beholder. In the US, Mexican is a racialize geographic identity the same way Asian and Native American are too. Why are Palenstians and Egyptians considered white on the census and not Asian or African American? Why arent Asian Indians considered white on the census nor socially, yet are placed in the same racial group as Chinese when they look nothing alike? Why aren't Native Americans considered Asian? You see its just a big ball of confusion. I think the census is trying to keep a white majority(the status quo) and you are playing right into the government's hands.
I do not support the concept of race to be honest. It is such a social construct. So many people are mixed who do not know it and we all come from the same anyway, race technically is just difference in features due to inbreeding in three specific regions (East Asia, Europe, and Sub Saharan Africa). And that was then, before travel everywhere from the Silk Road to the Concord.

My problem is why are Mexicans trying to be different and segregate themselves? The whole Brown Pride concept. If anything that is falling into the anti-immigrant mindset those that hate want them to fall into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
The point of my "bricklayer" comment is that that is the typical American perspective for anyone who is Hispanic. Again- they typically do not get respect for being educated, professional adults. Brown power.

There is emerging evidence that suggests Native Americans are NOT of Asian ancestry. It doesn't matter anyway. "They" are not white.

Where do you live? It's unfortunate that the only people you know are white.
Yes but the Mexicans created this stereotype by living it out and creating a Brown Pride, separating themselves.

Native Americans are racially Mongoloid, I don't know of any evidence they are Natives of the North/South American continents. To my knowledge they immigrated across the Bering Strait. Anything is possible but their facial features are similar to that of Asians, not of Europeans or Sub Saharan Africans.

I have also lived in three major American cities, traveled the United States and Europe. Still the question is why the self segregation, Brown Pride???

Last edited by AMERICANGUY231123; 03-28-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I do not support the concept of race to be honest. It is such a social construct. So many people are mixed who do not know it and we all come from the same anyway, race technically is just difference in features due to inbreeding in three specific regions (East Asia, Europe, and Sub Saharan Africa). And that was then, before travel everywhere from the Silk Road to the Concord.

My problem is why are Mexicans trying to be different and segregate themselves? The whole Brown Pride concept. If anything that is falling into the anti-immigrant mindset those that hate want them to fall into.
Actually, ALL people came from Africa originally. I agree with you that race is definitely a social construct- but, unfortunately, it's not something that you can change. And- I still think you are picking on Mexican Americans in particular.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Actually, ALL people came from Africa originally. I agree with you that race is definitely a social construct- but, unfortunately, it's not something that you can change. And- I still think you are picking on Mexican Americans in particular.
I am only picking on Mexican Americans because they are the ones that use the term "Brown or Brown Pride". I have never come across other Latin Americans use it. They are the majority so it effects all Latin Americans in the USA unfortunately.

They also use the term "Chicano Pride" but people seem to only use that in reference to Mexicans.

Also check my last post I edited it.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Native Americans are racially Mongoloid, I don't know of any evidence they are Natives of the North/South American continents. To my knowledge they immigrated across the Bering Strait. Anything is possible but their facial features are similar to that of Asians, not of Europeans or Sub Saharan Africans.
Check this out:
Encyclopedia Smithsonian: Paleoamerican Origins

Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I am only picking on Mexican Americans because they are the ones that use the term "Brown or Brown Pride". I have never come across other Latin Americans use it. They are the majority so it effects all Latin Americans in the USA unfortunately.

They also use the term "Chicano Pride" but people seem to only use that in reference to Mexicans.

Also check my last post I edited it.
But, I still don't know why it bothers YOU so much. They are not hurting you. Who cares what anyone calls themselves?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
I hate the term. The thing is, why do some Hispanics/Latinos feel the need to differentiate themselves racially when they are not a race?
Well, the US govt has no problem in separating them off as a single group called "Hispanic of all races".

I dont think its as much a race thing as it is a culture thing-their cultural similarities are so stong that they qualify as a single group.

Quote:
I see after a few generations and assimilation Hispanics blend into either White or Black but self segregation is very damaging to Latin Americans in the United States.
How is it damaging to Latin Americans in the US? From the context of creating a single identity, its worked out quite well. From the context of preserving their language and creating neighborhoods chalked full of their own businesses catering to their people-its worked out great.

And its actually much better than what Whites did back in the middle of the 20th century when many White communities made laws banning people of color from moving there-that's far worse than Mexicans calling themselves "Brown people".

Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,166,306 times
American,

Italians, Poles, and the Irish all classify themselves in one way or another just like Mexicans but you don't seem to have a problem with these groups. What's wrong with Mexicans saying Brown Pride? As long as they are not a hate group or spilling racist vitrol, I don't a problem with anyone distinguishing their race or ethnicity. As minorities, too many times, we have had to assimilate to main stream culture. There is nothing wrong with the term Brown Pride, even though brown is not recognized as a race.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
But, I still don't know why it bothers YOU so much. They are not hurting you. Who cares what anyone calls themselves?
It does bother me. I am not Brown. I do not want to be labeled as such just because my parents were born in Latin America. Along with all the rest of the negative stereotypes that come along with that
"Brown" title.

I was born in the United States, raised as an American. Genetically I look more White than anything but I have Sub-Saharan African/Black and possible Asian/Indigenous ancestry in me, I am proud of that. I am multiracial However, I AM NOT BROWN.

Pisses me off and I take offense to it. I am not the only one either. If you want an example by a celeb, take a look at Jessica Alba.

Jessica Alba: Don't Call Me A Latina!! - MediaTakeOut.com™ 2011

The Mexican community has encouraged this Brown/Brown Pride idea and now Non-Hispanic Americans who typically lump all Latin Americans together anyway refer to us all as Brown. I find the term degrading because I am automatically assumed a brown, gang banging, lawn mowing Mexican by the ignorants as soon as I tell someone my parents were born in Latin America. No offense to Mexicans, that is what the ignorants think of when many if not most Americans think Mexican.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
It does bother me. I am not Brown. I do not want to be labeled as such just because my parents were born in Latin America. Along with all the rest of the negative stereotypes that come along with that
"Brown" title.

I was born in the United States, raised as an American. Genetically I look more White than anything but I have Sub-Saharan African/Black and possible Asian/Indigenous ancestry in me, I am proud of that. I am multiracial However, I AM NOT BROWN.

Pisses me off and I take offense to it. I am not the only one either. If you want an example by a celeb, take a look at Jessica Alba.

Jessica Alba: Don't Call Me A Latina!! - MediaTakeOut.com™ 2011

The Mexican community has encouraged this Brown/Brown Pride idea and now Non-Hispanic Americans who typically lump all Latin Americans together refer to us all as Brown.
But you are trying to impose your personal beliefs on an entire group of people. Right now, you sound an awful lot like... well- we won't go THERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies