Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:31 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuesdaygirl View Post
The links I provided are to mainstream news sites reporting on academic studies. If you want the actual studies themselves, either follow the links provided in the articles to the full studies, or do a search for the professors/researchers involved and the full names of the research to read them online, if they're available free. You're free to do all of that, if you want, but I'm not about to do it for you!

As far as "no scientific sources"....did you even read any of the articles? They're just reporting straight results from scientific research, fully sourced.....we do these studies over and over and it's always the same results (of course, repetition is part of the scientific research process, so that's fine!)
No links in the opinion pieces you cited pointing to any research .. sorry .. but I usually do well to read what's posted ..

If you would have read the opinion pieces yourself, instead of just Googling the links to paste into your post, you would have known that already and you wouldn't have wasted your time with the snarky post above ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Dutchman, did you read your own sources? First, all of them were referring to single parent households and said that two parent households worked best. Never did it say the two parents were heterosexual male/female. It simply said two parent. Then, when someone called you out on it, you cite a source from an anti-gay website. Huh. Funny how thats works.
Two parent biological homes tend to be the best. As for homes with two mothers.........does that really equal a mother and a father? I don't think so. Is that what you believe? If you do you have to ignore all that research about role models. You do believe in role models don't you? I do.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Don't forget this has all been debated for a LONG damn time!!!

You might not agree with history and think your "progressive" but that doesn't change Human nature

If we were all Gay we wouldn't be here today
Homosexuality .. an evolutionary cul de sac ..

Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Pot. Kettle. And all that.
Really? is that how you see this? You should embrace your liberalness. go ahead, you'll feel better, you know you will.

Are you sure you don't want to call me more names. It's ok if it'll make you feel taller, smarter, better looking, whatever.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Kids can have more role models than just their parents Dutchman. In fact, more often than not they usually do. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, all of those people influence how a child grows up. The main problem of a single parent household is not the lack of a role model but the amount of stress it puts on the parent which then translates to stress towards children.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM

In fact, Dutchman, just to prove my last point to you, I'll use a quote from the very first source you pulled. Check and mate.

Quote:
"One parent families face an enormous stress on their time, and the level of daily and minute-by-minute emotional and physical support is essentially cut in half," says Quist. "I can't imagine raising my children without my wife."

Both Quist and Ambert say statistically, children raised in OPF are by and large being raised in situations at or below the poverty line, which is "where the problem arises," says Ambert, who has studied OPF extensively.

Children in single parent families on average tend to have less resources available to them, which can result in poor mental and physical health, lower levels of education for both parent and child, and a lack of stability—especially if they are born in a co-habiting family, says Ambert.

In addition, because the lone parent is often at work when the child gets out of school, the lack of supervision in OPF can lead to criminal behavior, particularly in poor neighborhoods in cities like Toronto. Canada has one of the highest rates of employment of women with young children.

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
I don't usually concern myself with the sex lives of people that aren't me but, I get the impression that having sex with a certain segment of CD posters must be about as much fun as breathing since all they seem to be focused on is reproduction.

As a healthy heterosexual male I engage in plenty of sex acts that have about as much chance of producing a child as any homosexual sex act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Kids can have more role models than just their parents Dutchman. In fact, more often than not they usually do. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, all of those people influence how a child grows up. The main problem of a single parent household is not the lack of a role model but the amount of stress it puts on the parent which then translates to stress towards children.
And I can just imagine the stress and the confusion that might confront the child when one women tries to be the "male" end role model in a Lesbian household

Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
And I can just imagine the stress and the confusion that might confront the child when one women tries to be the "male" end role model in a Lesbian household
How would there be confusion if a child is raised in a family with two fathers or two mothers? It's like being born a minority so to speak. To a white person, we can never imagine it, yet to a minority it's just normal. Its not like all men and women are the same anyway. Typically, all a child needs is a strong figure of some sort. And, like I said in my post, parents are not the only role models in a child's life. Not by a long shot.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I don't usually concern myself with the sex lives of people that aren't me but, I get the impression that having sex with a certain segment of CD posters must be about as much fun as breathing since all they seem to be focused on is reproduction.

As a healthy heterosexual male I engage in plenty of sex acts that have about as much chance of producing a child as any homosexual sex act.
Good for you now we know about your sex life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies