Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times

Advertisements

As a conservative who really doesn't care for how the Republicans deal with some of the social issues, I would like to see what other conservatives think on gay marriage in terms of small government.

Personally I don't care who marries who, I don't care how many people a person marries. If a straight guy wants 10 wives and can find them, go for it. If a gay guy wants to marry another guy, go for it. If 5 women want to get married all to each other, go for it.

Why? Because THAT is what SMALL government is about. It is about a government that stays out of our private lives altogether. I do not feel marriage should be something the government has anything to do with. It should be a religous ceremony or private relationship commitment between adults who want to, however they want to, whenever they want to.

Small government means staying out of people's private lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,630,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
As a conservative who really doesn't care for how the Republicans deal with some of the social issues, I would like to see what other conservatives think on gay marriage in terms of small government.

Personally I don't care who marries who, I don't care how many people a person marries. If a straight guy wants 10 wives and can find them, go for it. If a gay guy wants to marry another guy, go for it. If 5 women want to get married all to each other, go for it.

Why? Because THAT is what SMALL government is about. It is about a government that stays out of our private lives altogether. I do not feel marriage should be something the government has anything to do with. It should be a religous ceremony or private relationship commitment between adults who want to, however they want to, whenever they want to.

Small government means staying out of people's private lives.

AMEN

Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
The Conservative Case For Gay Marriage - Newsweek

Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
my thoughts exactly...

Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Your right. However, small government has to rely on a functioning culture. You cannot have a functioning culture without a functioning family unit.

I'm a teacher. It breaks my heart to see the "family groupings" I'm seeing these days. They don't work as well as a traditional family unit biological mother/father/lifetime marriage/children. This model give us the very best children we can ask for. We can educate these children. Decades of research tell us anything else will just fill our prison and mental hospital wards with human waste.

Will gay marriage, especially one foisted upon a generally reluctant population do anything to enhance our family units. Not unless you think two mothers equal one mother and one father it won't.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Peri View Post
I agree 100% I believe the problem with conservative Republicans is the term "marriage" when it comes to same sex couples.
yea exactly, a conservative shouldn't care. but the thing about the republican party is they're not exactly all that "conservative" just simply more conservative than the dems.

so that's why a term like "marriage" matters so much to repubs. they're held together more by religious and moral grounds then any actual political stance. if the repubs say they didn't care about gay marriage and anyone can do whatever, then the religious right would leave the party in droves and back an independent candidate, thus splitting the vote with the repubs who are actually conservatives, causing both candidates to lose to the dems.

repubs cannot approve of gay marriage. it would be suicide for their party.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Your right. However, small government has to rely on a functioning culture. You cannot have a functioning culture without a functioning family unit.

I'm a teacher. It breaks my heart to see the "family groupings" I'm seeing these days. They don't work as well as a traditional family unit biological mother/father/lifetime marriage/children. This model give us the very best children we can ask for. We can educate these children. Decades of research tell us anything else will just fill our prison and mental hospital wards with human waste.

Will gay marriage, especially one foisted upon a generally reluctant population do anything to enhance our family units. Not unless you think two mothers equal one mother and one father it won't.

Wow. Did you really just say that gay couples, when parenting together, raise children that turn out to be "human waste"?

I've seen some pretty ignorant, bigoted, homophobic, hateful things said on this site - but that one takes the cake.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
I don't label myself other than Independent but I think One man and one woman makes a marriage, anything other than that is a partnership or union as far as big or small government I don't think that means much I think what people decide to socially accept shapes the future, Personally I don't want a free for all society I enjoy a few rules and morality. Of course this is just my opinion each of us has one and is free to believe as they wish.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Wow. Did you really just say that gay couples, when parenting together, raise children that turn out to be "human waste"?

I've seen some pretty ignorant, bigoted, homophobic, hateful things said on this site - but that one takes the cake.
Feel free to disagree, and btw thanks for all the personal invectives. It's rare for even an american liberal/leftist/assorted marxist to manage that but you've proven it can be done.

What I said was the mother/father/lifetime marriage/children model produces children more capable of learning. Children actually need biological fathers and biological mothers in a stable relationship in order to prosper. Anything else is a poor substitute. You can read anything else into that you want.

source

Quote:
Two Parent Families Still the Best Option, Say Experts
By Sharda Vaidyanath
Epoch Times Parliament Hill reporter Sep 21, 2007

While the family unit has changed over time, studies suggest that kids do better in two-parent families. (photos.com)
Over the last two decades, family environments in which young children have grown up in Canada have changed dramatically.

Modern times have seen the emergence of single parent families, blended families, same sex parent families and co-habiting families. There are also several configurations of all of the above.

While the 2006 census tells us that married families are steadily declining, studies show that marriage is the family structure in which Canadians prefer to raise their children. And overall, say experts, it is the best option for growing children for reasons that go far beyond those of economics.

According to the census, 65.7 per cent of Canada's 5.6 million children 14 and under lived with married parents, down from 68.4 per cent in 2001. One parent families (OPF) in comparison have remained stable with only a slight increase to 15.9 per cent in 2006, up from 15.7 per cent in 2001.

"We're moving towards one-parent families, but not that much; most children are still raised by their biological parents—their original, legal parents," says Anne-MarieAmbert, York University's professor emeritus in sociology.

Of the 5.6 million children aged 14 and under living in private households, 14.6 lived with parents in a common-law union. This is a dramatic increase from 4.5 per cent two decades earlier.

However, the consensus reflected in recent surveys suggests that two-parent married families provide the best chance for children's successful growth and well-being.

A 2003 government of Canada Human Resources document entitled "A New Generation of Young Families: Raising Young Children," that compiled several national studies and surveys, stated that "children benefit from having relationships with both biological parents."...........

Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
yea exactly, a conservative shouldn't care. but the thing about the republican party is they're not exactly all that "conservative" just simply more conservative than the dems.

so that's why a term like "marriage" matters so much to repubs. they're held together more by religious and moral grounds then any actual political stance. if the repubs say they didn't care about gay marriage and anyone can do whatever, then the religious right would leave the party in droves and back an independent candidate, thus splitting the vote with the repubs who are actually conservatives, causing both candidates to lose to the dems.

repubs cannot approve of gay marriage. it would be suicide for their party.
It's a cultural thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies