Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 04:03 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,281,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
public servants forced to join unions and have dues taken from their paychecks is? what about the gov school monopoly that makes parents pay twice if they choose a better private school. is that free market? this sham is up, the taxpayers have had it.
I agree. I think they are indeed doing themselves in with this. Taxpayers have had it and aren't willing to take it anymore and will not be bullied into having it forced upon us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:06 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,352,394 times
M&I Bank Issues Response to Letter From Wisconsin Union Group

M&I has not taken, and will not take, a position either for or against the budget repair bill. As M&I has publicly stated before:
  • M&I has not contributed to any candidate and did not contribute to Governor Walker or Mayor Barrett in the last gubernatorial election.
  • M&I has over 6,000 employees in Wisconsin, and, in the great tradition of political freedom in this country, those employees have the right to contribute to the candidate of their choice.
  • M&I employees contributed to both Wisconsin gubernatorial candidates in the last election.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The objection would be that the store owner must choose a side. That should not be. Asking them to put up a sign of Union support, I see nothing objectionable about. Are there union members that would overstep, sure. Time will tell on just how extensive the abuse is. And yes, the Unions and most of the people in Wisc do not like what Walker did. They will react to that.
Asking? How about Telling? Telling the businesses that neutrality is not an option; neutrality means "no support" and no support of the unions means a boycott. Sounds like intimidation to me; i. e., Do it or else...

From the OP link:

“Failure to do so will leave us no choice but (to) do a public boycott of your business. And sorry, neutral means 'no' to those who work for the largest employer in the area and are union members."

Wisconsin public sector union threatening businesses with boycotts - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

Threat? Bullying? Strongarming? Intimidation? Extortion? Pick your name for this outlandish statement.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,003,719 times
Unions and their supporters, trying to extort what they can't earn;

Numerous Union Grove shops threatened with union boycott

Quote:
The threatened boycott may backfire, based on what merchants heard Wednesday.

"Instead of a downturn in our business, we have seen an increase in support from the community around us," she said.

"The residents and business owners are making an extra effort to spend their money in our community to show their support for our willingness to remain neutral, which the union deems fit to punish us for."
Backlash for the unions! Most people don't like this kind of thuggish union bullying.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:25 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,882,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Asking? How about Telling? Telling the businesses that neutrality is not an option; neutrality means "no support" and no support of the unions means a boycott. Sounds like intimidation to me; i. e., Do it or else...

From the OP link:

“Failure to do so will leave us no choice but (to) do a public boycott of your business. And sorry, neutral means 'no' to those who work for the largest employer in the area and are union members."

Wisconsin public sector union threatening businesses with boycotts - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

Threat? Bullying? Strongarming? Intimidation? Extortion? Pick your name for this outlandish statement.
If that were widespread and a consistent tactic being used, I could agree with you. But, I don't know that and neither do you. I recall some nut going on and on about NY Sanitation Union worker conspiracy after a snow storm a while back. Completely bogus. Who knows what this in Wisc will turn out to be.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:33 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,337,494 times
Those entitled union members in WI are no better than your typical three year old throwing a tantrum because mommy wouldn't buy them another lolipop. BOOHOO!

Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,227,845 times
I'd go to a grocery displaying a Union support sign and load up a big push cart. At check out I'd ask if they have their Union support sign properly displayed - of course, I've already verified before entering. If they say yes, I park my fully loaded cart and apologize, telling them I won't be able to do business there.

Win/win... they can hire another Union worker to re-stock my non-purchases.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,828,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Now that's just stupid...
Only if the union forces them. It's just a matter of time...

Old 03-31-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I'd go to a grocery displaying a Union support sign and load up a big push cart. At check out I'd ask if they have their Union support sign properly displayed - of course, I've already verified before entering. If they say yes, I park my fully loaded cart and apologize, telling them I won't be able to do business there.

Win/win... they can hire another Union worker to re-stock my non-purchases.
We need more creative people like you!!!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,939,162 times
So it is OK to choose where to shop but not for a union to organize a boycott? Even Milt Friedman espoused freedom of choice. The question is how effective it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies